8 Weight Line

Old September 29th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Willi & Sue

Default 8 Weight Line

I'm going up to the Clearwater next week to try and see if I can hook up
with a Steelhead. I'm planning on using my 8 weight rod. The line I have
for it is a "Bonefish" line, made for fishing in warm water conditions.
Is this going to work for me or will it suck because it is too stiff?
I'd rather not buy a new line.

Willi

Old September 29th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Charlie Choc

Willi & Sue wrote:

I'm going up to the Clearwater next week to try and see if I can hook up
with a Steelhead. I'm planning on using my 8 weight rod. The line I have
for it is a "Bonefish" line, made for fishing in warm water conditions.
Is this going to work for me or will it suck because it is too stiff?
I'd rather not buy a new line.

Try it on a local stream to see how it handles in cold water.
--
Charlie...

Old September 29th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Mark Tinsky

In article , Willi & Sue
wrote:

I'm going up to the Clearwater next week to try and see if I can hook up
with a Steelhead. I'm planning on using my 8 weight rod. The line I have
for it is a "Bonefish" line, made for fishing in warm water conditions.
Is this going to work for me or will it suck because it is too stiff?
I'd rather not buy a new line.

Willi

WOuld it be best to have a sinking line for this trip? Or will
floating work as well? MT
Old September 29th, 2004, 05:53 PM
brians

Willi & Sue wrote:
I'm going up to the Clearwater next week to try and see if I can hook up
with a Steelhead. I'm planning on using my 8 weight rod. The line I have
for it is a "Bonefish" line, made for fishing in warm water conditions.
Is this going to work for me or will it suck because it is too stiff?
I'd rather not buy a new line.

More than likely it has a mono core, and will tend to coil/have memory
in colder temps. You might be fine with it, but pre stretching the line
might get tiresome after awhile.

brians

Old September 29th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Willi & Sue

Charlie Choc wrote:

Willi & Sue wrote:

I'm going up to the Clearwater next week to try and see if I can hook
up with a Steelhead. I'm planning on using my 8 weight rod. The line I
have for it is a "Bonefish" line, made for fishing in warm water
conditions. Is this going to work for me or will it suck because it is
too stiff? I'd rather not buy a new line.

Try it on a local stream to see how it handles in cold water.

DUH!!!!

I went out and cast it in the irrigation canal that runs through my
property. Casts fine. It does have a bit more memory but it's not very
noticeable. I think it will work OK. If it's colder up there and I have
trouble I'll just buy a line from a local shop.

Willi

Old September 29th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Scott Seidman

Willi & Sue wrote in news:415af163$0$203$75868355
@news.frii.net:

Charlie Choc wrote:

Willi & Sue wrote:

I'm going up to the Clearwater next week to try and see if I can hook
up with a Steelhead. I'm planning on using my 8 weight rod. The line I
have for it is a "Bonefish" line, made for fishing in warm water
conditions. Is this going to work for me or will it suck because it is
too stiff? I'd rather not buy a new line.

Try it on a local stream to see how it handles in cold water.

DUH!!!!

I went out and cast it in the irrigation canal that runs through my
property. Casts fine. It does have a bit more memory but it's not very
noticeable. I think it will work OK. If it's colder up there and I have
trouble I'll just buy a line from a local shop.

Willi

I'd go with the line you have. This isn't precision casting you're talking
about. If you're going to spend money, buy a helmet, in case you forget to
duck!

Scott
Old September 30th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Chas Wade

Scott Seidman wrote:
I'd go with the line you have. This isn't precision casting you're
talking
about. If you're going to spend money, buy a helmet, in case you
forget to
duck!

Right on Scott. I can tell you've done this before!

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Old September 30th, 2004, 05:38 AM
Chas Wade

Willi & Sue wrote:
I'm going up to the Clearwater next week to try and see if I can hook
up
with a Steelhead. I'm planning on using my 8 weight rod. The line I
have
for it is a "Bonefish" line, made for fishing in warm water
conditions.
Is this going to work for me or will it suck because it is too stiff?
I'd rather not buy a new line.

I think it's a great line for this. It will be excellent if we find a
place to swing in 3-5 feet of water, and it will be fine for casting
the overweight nymph rig too. I've used a bonefish line, and I like
it. Leeland Miawaki (sp?) fishes the salt around here for searun
cutthroats and salmon, and the bonefish line is his favorite.
Sal****er temps here are 50 to 60 degrees, most often about 54. We
probably won't find it that cold on the Clearwater.