Orvis + Wal-Mart = Angry local shopkeep

Old April 25th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Sierra fisher

Default Orvis + Wal-Mart = Angry local shopkeep

1. Most of the fly fishing equipment is sold on the west coast
2. Orvis is an east coast company, and does very poorly on the the west
coast. (they also did very poorly on the east coast when Redington was going
great guns)
3. This "marriage" will give Orvis the exposure they need on the nationally
in order to survive.

Comments?

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"JR" wrote in message ...
"Tim J." wrote:

IMHO, Orvis has really shot themselves in the foot with this

partnership. Their
niche has always been higher priced, quality merchandise sold in a

boutique
fashion. What this move will do to that image will be determined soon.

Don't know..... Orvis underwent a considerable change in the past 15
years from a FFing company to an up-scale lifestyle company of which
FFing is just one component (does anyone know what percentage of the big
O's revenues come from FFing anymore?). This at the same time as both
the stock-market bubble and what may turn out to be the FFing (read
"FFing industry") bubble. Looks like Orvis is betting that the growth
niche is no longer at the high end or even in the middle. Will be
interesting to watch it all play out.

JR

---

Old April 25th, 2004, 06:24 PM
George Cleveland

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 16:22:48 +0200, JR wrote:

"Tim J." wrote:

IMHO, Orvis has really shot themselves in the foot with this partnership. Their
niche has always been higher priced, quality merchandise sold in a boutique
fashion. What this move will do to that image will be determined soon.

Don't know..... Orvis underwent a considerable change in the past 15
years from a FFing company to an up-scale lifestyle company of which
FFing is just one component (does anyone know what percentage of the big
O's revenues come from FFing anymore?). This at the same time as both
the stock-market bubble and what may turn out to be the FFing (read
"FFing industry") bubble. Looks like Orvis is betting that the growth
niche is no longer at the high end or even in the middle. Will be
interesting to watch it all play out.

JR

Has anyone actually seen an announcement from either company
referring to this partnership? I can't find a link anywhere. I know
Orvis is in partnership with Gander Mtn. in some areas.

g.c.
Old April 25th, 2004, 07:17 PM
George Adams

From: George Cleveland

Has anyone actually seen an announcement from either company
referring to this partnership? I can't find a link anywhere. I know
Orvis is in partnership with Gander Mtn. in some areas.

See the post by Tim S. Apparently Orvis is going to manufacture starter
outfits for W.M. So they can have something a step up from the crap they sell
now. This will be marketed under a new brand name, and the Orvis exposure will
be minimal.

Sounds like some shop owner with a bug up his ass went off half cocked after
hearing a rumor, and a lot of folks bought into it. What Tim S. posted makes
sense, the Orvis/W.M. "marriage" made no sense at all.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Old April 25th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Doug Kanter

"tim_s" wrote in message
m...

i view this with some trepidation only because you lie with Walmart
and generally end of with fleas...Walmart's forced reduction of cost
by 5% by its vendors yealrly, for example, kills many
suppliers....they are poor to do business with, and I am hoping Orvis
comes out of this ok......

The consumer often ends up with fleas, too. In clothing, for instance,
further cost reductions mean the company has to constantly find cheaper
suppliers when the older ones can no longer afford to do business that way.
The results are obvious, if you've looked at some of the clothing being sold
there. Of course, most sellers are up against the same problem, but at least
some of them have designated a level below which they will not go.

Old April 25th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Mike Connor

"Doug Kanter" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
"tim_s" wrote in message
m...

i view this with some trepidation only because you lie with Walmart
and generally end of with fleas...Walmart's forced reduction of cost
by 5% by its vendors yealrly, for example, kills many
suppliers....they are poor to do business with, and I am hoping Orvis
comes out of this ok......

The consumer often ends up with fleas, too. In clothing, for instance,
further cost reductions mean the company has to constantly find cheaper
suppliers when the older ones can no longer afford to do business that

way.
The results are obvious, if you've looked at some of the clothing being

sold
there. Of course, most sellers are up against the same problem, but at

least
some of them have designated a level below which they will not go.

Fleas are hardly ever found on clothing, unless somebody is wearing it at
the time, they are pure bloodsuckers. Various life stages of the insect
might very occasionally be found on clothing, but are more likely to be
found elsewhere. For more info, have a look here;
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2081.html

You may not like Wal Mart much now, but if they discover that you are
publically maintaining that they sell flea-ridden clothing, I venture to
prophesy that you will end up liking them a great deal less.

Just as a matter of interest, as you donīt shop there, how do you know what
clothing they sell? Flea-ridden or otherwise?

MC

Old April 25th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Mike Connor

"Doug Kanter" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
Of course, most sellers are up against the same problem, but at least
some of them have designated a level below which they will not go.

They call that the bargain basement here.

Old April 25th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Mike Connor

Default Vegetable blues

Quite happily shopping I went,
to buy lettuce was my full intent,
perhaps carrots too,
for a nourishing stew,
but the lettuce was wilted and spent.

Then my heart very near missed a beat,
I thought that it might be the heat,
it did not quite sieze,
at the sight of the fleas,
and the cockroaches eating the meat.

I just donīt know how they can dare,
to offer such terrible fare,
in fact I think,
I will drum up a stink,
and then take my business elsewhere.

Indeed I would like to propose,
that you donīt try to buy any clothes,
of course I have tried,
with insecticide,
but the fleas still attacked me in droves.

What do you mean by "A smell"?
you can take your remarks straight to hell,
with Chanel No. 5,
I valiantly strive,
and it covers my odour quite well.

"Donīt scratch it, wash it!", you say?
and then let the poor fleas have their way,
it wonīt get infected,
if early detected,
unless thereīs a plague on the way.

Now rats are a different matter,
beware of their innocent patter,
because when they bite,
itīs a terrible plight,
you may go as mad as a hatter.

So, back to the lettuce once more,
that was piled on the tables and floor,
I really felt jilted,
because it was wilted,
and I just will not buy any more.

I spread the glad tidings around,
reporting what I had found
But now Iīm subdued,
at being well sued
these limp lettuce lawyers abound!

Indeed I most greatly resent,
these sales with malicious intent,
I am limp, and have fleas,
and a judge must appease
but Iīm damnned if Iīll ever repent!

TL
MC

Old April 25th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Doug Kanter

"tim_s" wrote in message
[...]

Tim (accurately) wrote: "i view this with some trepidation only because you
lie with Walmart and generally end of with fleas...". It was a figure of
speech which referred to what happens to many suppliers who do business with
Wal Mart. This has been well documented in quite a few business
publications. I extended his figure of speech to include retail customers,
as well.

You may not like Wal Mart much now, but if they discover that you are
publically maintaining that they sell flea-ridden clothing, I venture to
prophesy that you will end up liking them a great deal less.

Businesses are the subject of bad comments in all sorts of newsgroups. They
cannot stop free speech. If they generate bad word of mouth, the solution is
obvious: Eliminate the reasons for it.

Just as a matter of interest, as you donīt shop there, how do you know

what
clothing they sell? Flea-ridden or otherwise?

Been to the stores, Mike. Tried them a few times before realizing what they
were up to.

Old April 25th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Wolfgang wrote:
"Doug Kanter" observed:

Pompous little troll. Go sit in a corner and drink your chocolate milk.

And thus.......what?......you've demonstrated to the world that you've got
teeth?

Teeth and a surprising modicum of perception for a newbie. I mean you
could go with malicious midget, malignant dwarf or my personal favorite,
malevolent manikin, but you gotta admit, "pompous little troll" is damn
close to nailing your smart-ass but good.

And entertaining too. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry