Orvis + Wal-Mart = Angry local shopkeep

Old April 25th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Doug Kanter

Default Orvis + Wal-Mart = Angry local shopkeep

Pompous little troll. Go sit in a corner and drink your chocolate milk.

Old April 25th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Wolfgang

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news
Pompous little troll. Go sit in a corner and drink your chocolate milk.

And thus.......what?......you've demonstrated to the world that you've got
teeth?

Wolfgang
really now, did ANYONE doubt that this one was gonna be fun?

Old April 25th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Wolfgang

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Wolfgang" wrote in message
simply a pathological liar. Why is that?

Actually, professor, it's all true.

Thank you, but you haven't answered the question.

Point out my lies, and I'll answer your question.

Uh uh.....you first.

Well, not to toot my own horn or anything but, like most here, I too

have
thorough understanding of why the grocery industry is possible in many
markets. Um........actually, I don't consider that much of an
accomplishment.

What business are you in, in why shouldn't THAT business grow to meet
demand?

It's happening again.........isn't it? Everyone with a shred of sense has
got you pegged.....genus and species.....and only those that even YOU can
identify as fools take you seriously.

Wolfgang
whattawoild!

Old April 25th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Mike Connor

"Doug Kanter" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
What insights do YOU
have into the intricacies of the food business, other than your

imagination?

He eats it occasionally.

TL
MC

Old April 25th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Mike Connor

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
What the hell are you talking about??? How did you get from my comment

on
store comparisons, to "prejudiced" and "stupid"??? Explain exactly

what
you
read into my post, please.

In the unfortunate event that you stick around here for a while, even a
halfwit like yourself will eventually realize that Mike is perfectly

capable
of answering for himself but, as he is probably asleep right now and you

are
doubtless impatient for an answer to your question, please allow me to

give
you a synopsis of what Mike is likely to say.......albeit somewhat more
diplomatically.

What Mike read into your post is almost certainly exactly what you put
there. To whit, you are prejudiced, abysmally stupid and (though I'm

sure
Mike is much too polite to say so in a public forum read by adolescent
westerners) a pathological liar.

Does that help?

Wolfgang

The count so far: Two who cannot explain their responses. Let's give you
another shot. A newspaper runs comparisons of grocery prices for a local
market. They do this 7 or 8 times in 3 years. They never include Wal Mart.

From this comment, you conclude that I am stupid, and a liar. Be as

specific
as your inebriation will permit in explaining your conclusions.

Seldom have I been so ably represented in absentia. My thanks to
Mr.Siebeneich.

So you can count? That is rather an astounding revelation. I am sure it
will be of considerable use to you some day.

You ever wonder how newspapers make money? It is a rather underhand and
perverse undertaking, generally referred to as "advertising". One of the
extremely unfortunate side effects of this devious practice, is the bias it
invariably causes, chiefly, but not only, among those who are bound to print
and sell it.

One is bound, after painstakingly piecing some of your aimless ramblings
together, to conclude that you donīt like Wal Mart. Now this is perfectly
OK. There are lots of things I donīt like either, sago pudding, cat fur in
my muesli, scratches on my car, ground glass in my toothpaste, moths in my
feather collection, etc etc . Indeed I could go on almost indefinitely, but
I have never felt the need to air these often extremely annoying and
obviously quite unfairly imposed burdens on my personal wellbeing, as a list
of grievances on this newsgroup, and should I ever be moved to do so, then I
would rely on the facts of the matter, and not invent a whole load of
supporting inconsequentialities. Also, having once given voice on the
matter, I would almost certainly then cease forthwith.

There are some shops I am not particularly keen on shopping in, so I donīt
go there very often. Unless of course they have a nice special offer. In
which case I go there to buy the special offer, and refrain from buying any
wilted lettuce. Indeed, refraining from buying wilted lettuce has never
really been a problem for me anywhere at all. Giving up smoking was quite
hard, but after refraining from purchasing untold tons of wilted lettuce at
various excellent and indeed even some quite execrable emporiums, I did not
feel even a slight twinge of regret or nervousness.

Obviously, you need to join "Wilted Lettuce Anonymous", or perhaps "The
Shrivelled Carrot Society". This will have the secondary but nonetheless
major advantage of ensuring that you only meet people of like mind, and a
similar income bracket. To whit "superior" individuals, who suffer the same
heart rending problems when faced with a table full of lettuce, on which the
outer leaves are obviously pretty far gone, as your most unfortunate self..

You ever buy anything at Woolworths? I heard they donīt sell wilted
lettuce. This may of course be merely a wild rumour designed to lull you
into going in there and rubbing shoulders with the great unwashed, and also
doubtless be confronted with veritable mountains of tacky turnips, slimy
sprouts, perished potatoes, and rancid radishes.

What do you think about plastic fly-rods?

MC

Old April 25th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Wayne Knight

"Mike Connor" wrote in message

You ever buy anything at Woolworths? I heard they donīt sell wilted
lettuce.

Er, Woolworth's ceased operations in the US a while back.

What do you think about plastic fly-rods?

They're pretty neat things to use but I prefer cane thank you.

MC

Old April 25th, 2004, 02:49 PM
tim_s

as much as i detest walmart and all they are doing to damage the world
economy, this Orvis deal is simply NOT TRUE

orvis IS teaming with walmart to manufacture a quality entry level
outfit, i forget the name...something like Evergreen (with by Orvis in
small print). Currently Walmart carries low end crap for fly rods; the
thiking is if they can get a quality entry-level price-point product
in there that actually casts well, folks may try & stay with FF. These
folks will then in turn, in theory, graduate to more expensive
equipment, hopefully purchased from Orvis dealers and other FF venues.

Orvis IS NOT selling anything under the Orvis name in Walmart; just
this one rod/reel/line package under a different name as stated
above....the Orvis dealer in my area (other than flies, i own NOTHING
Orvis, btw) is excited by the concept, figuring it will expand the
market and lead to future sales...

i view this with some trepidation only because you lie with Walmart
and generally end of with fleas...Walmart's forced reduction of cost
by 5% by its vendors yealrly, for example, kills many
suppliers....they are poor to do business with, and I am hoping Orvis
comes out of this ok......

please try and get you facts straight before posting an alarmist
rant....
Old April 25th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Doug Kanter

"Wolfgang" wrote in message
simply a pathological liar. Why is that?

Actually, professor, it's all true.

Thank you, but you haven't answered the question.

Point out my lies, and I'll answer your question.

Uh uh.....you first.

Well, not to toot my own horn or anything but, like most here, I too

have
thorough understanding of why the grocery industry is possible in many
markets. Um........actually, I don't consider that much of an
accomplishment.

What business are you in, in why shouldn't THAT business grow to meet
demand?

It's happening again.........isn't it? Everyone with a shred of sense has
got you pegged.....genus and species.....and only those that even YOU can
identify as fools take you seriously.

Wolfgang
whattawoild!

Actually, the only thing that's happened again is your choosing not to
respond to a question which would put your attitude in perspective.

Old April 25th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Doug Kanter

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news
Pompous little troll. Go sit in a corner and drink your chocolate milk.

And thus.......what?......you've demonstrated to the world that you've got
teeth?

Not only teeth, but radar. Sadly, my good manners sometimes prevent me from
noticing the results of the radar.

Old April 25th, 2004, 03:22 PM
JR

"Tim J." wrote:

IMHO, Orvis has really shot themselves in the foot with this partnership. Their
niche has always been higher priced, quality merchandise sold in a boutique
fashion. What this move will do to that image will be determined soon.

Don't know..... Orvis underwent a considerable change in the past 15
years from a FFing company to an up-scale lifestyle company of which
FFing is just one component (does anyone know what percentage of the big
O's revenues come from FFing anymore?). This at the same time as both
the stock-market bubble and what may turn out to be the FFing (read
"FFing industry") bubble. Looks like Orvis is betting that the growth
niche is no longer at the high end or even in the middle. Will be
interesting to watch it all play out.

JR