Books

Old February 15th, 2012, 02:55 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Default Books

Got too many.....and can't get enough.

What's a boy to do? Well, he could knock out a few walls.....make the
rooms bigger and put in more shelves. But this is expensive, it cuts
into the book budget.

And then, it hit me. Go to the library. They got all the books a boy
could want, and they store them.....for FREE!

I found somebody's wallet scattered over about a hundred yards of
highway 27 last summer. Evidently she'd left it sitting on her car at
some stop or other and drove off. Took me about twenty minutes of
dodging traffic and digging through the grass and weeds on the
shoulders to find all of the contents. Like most folks in Murrica
today, she had a LOT of plastic cards in that wallet.....credit cards,
IDs, gift cards, etc. No library card.

My wallet has a lot less plastic than most.....and about half of it is
library cards. I can check out books from about fifty libraries at
last count. By sheer volume, that should be just about enough to
satisfy anyone. But sheer volume is deceptive. There's a lot of
duplication. And a lot of the stuff, duplicated or otherwise, is of
no interest. Keeps a boy moving and searching.

Naturally, a lot of good reading time is wasted in fruitless or at
least infuriating searching. Nothing much to be done about much of
it. However, there IS now a way to get around a particularly vexing
stumbling block. Many author of fiction write series of books around
certain characters. For afficianados who have read the last thrity or
so installments it probably isn't difficult to keep up with current
output.....even when dealing with those astonishing authors who seem
to put out a new book every 72 hours or so. But for the rest of us,
encountering a half shelf of books by the same author, evidently a
series to judge by the cover art or clues in the titles, can be
frustrating. Where to begin? Yeah, you can look at dates and edition
numbers on the publisher's page. Or you can simply hammer on your
toes with a particularly large volume.....it's just as much fun and
nearly as productive in the short term.

Ah, but things have changed! At last, there is an easy way to find
out what books belong to a particular series in an author's offerings
and it what order they appeared in print.

Go to:

http://www.kdl.org/

Click on the "Books & More" tab.

A set of clickable links will appear along the left side. Near the
bottom of this list is "Popular Links"

The penultimate subhead under the "Popular Links" is "What's Next
Books in Series."

Click on this.

The rest should be easy enough to figure out.

Good luck.

giles

Old February 16th, 2012, 12:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 15, 8:21*am, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:

Cool!
Frank Reid

Sorta makes a boy wonder why librarians have never been widely
acknowledged as the legitimate and indisputable rulers of the world,
ainna?

giles
no stranger to wobbly kneed worship and terror.
Old February 19th, 2012, 05:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

On Feb 15, 5:23*pm, Giles wrote:
On Feb 15, 8:21*am, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:

Cool!
Frank Reid

Sorta makes a boy wonder why librarians have never been widely
acknowledged as the legitimate and indisputable rulers of the world,
ainna?

I can't speak for Claspy, but I've known that for a long time.

Chuck Vance (who knows that with that awesome power comes huge
responsibility, but is willing to accept it)

Old February 21st, 2012, 01:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 19, 10:08*am, Conan The Librarian wrote:
On Feb 15, 5:23*pm, Giles wrote:

On Feb 15, 8:21*am, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:

Cool!
Frank Reid

Sorta makes a boy wonder why librarians have never been widely
acknowledged as the legitimate and indisputable rulers of the world,
ainna?

* *I can't speak for Claspy,

Oh, hell, it's not like he's here to controvert anything you
say.....go ahead!

but I've known that for a long time.

And here's me thinking that the whole point of possessing
librarianistic knowledgeship is to share with the lesser beings.
sigh

* * * Chuck Vance (who knows that with that awesome power comes huge
responsibility, but is willing to accept it)

Personally, I've always felt that one should be grateful for what one
can accomplish and maintain a suitable humility with regard to the
rest. I remain content in the profligate and capricious exercise of
power and ever so willing to leave the responsibility to those who
manifestly do such a superlative job with it.

giles
so, how's things down in old Mexico and all that?

Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

On Feb 15, 5:23*pm, Giles wrote:

On Feb 15, 8:21*am, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:

Cool!
Frank Reid

Sorta makes a boy wonder why librarians have never been widely
acknowledged as the legitimate and indisputable rulers of the world,
ainna?

* *I can't speak for Claspy,

Oh, hell, it's not like he's here to controvert anything you
say.....go ahead!

Oh, OK... and he's just a reference liberrian, so he doesn't really
count anyway.

but I've known that for a long time.

And here's me thinking that the whole point of possessing
librarianistic knowledgeship is to share with the lesser beings.
sigh

I try to as much as I can. But around the house I just get Carol
telling me, "You know more useless facts than anyone I know".

What's a boy to do?

* * * Chuck Vance (who knows that with that awesome power comes huge
responsibility, but is willing to accept it)

Personally, I've always felt that one should be grateful for what one
can accomplish and maintain a suitable humility with regard to the
rest. *I remain content in the profligate and capricious exercise of
power and ever so willing to leave the responsibility to those who
manifestly do such a superlative job with it.

Words to live by. :-)

giles
so, how's things down in old Mexico and all that?

Still in Texas, but we should have the house on the market within
3-4 weeks. Once that's done, it's just a matter of time. And being a
gentleman of leisure since the beginning of November, I gots lots of
time. Carol on the other hand is still working, so she might have a
slightly different view.

So how's things in Curdistan?

Chuck Vance
Old February 25th, 2012, 12:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 15, 5:23*pm, Giles wrote:

On Feb 15, 8:21*am, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:

Cool!
Frank Reid

Sorta makes a boy wonder why librarians have never been widely
acknowledged as the legitimate and indisputable rulers of the world,
ainna?

* *I can't speak for Claspy,

Oh, hell, it's not like he's here to controvert anything you
say.....go ahead!

* *Oh, OK... and he's just a reference liberrian, so he doesn't really
count anyway.

but I've known that for a long time.

And here's me thinking that the whole point of possessing
librarianistic knowledgeship is to share with the lesser beings.
sigh

* *I try to as much as I can.

More than should be (or has been, tradionally) expected of any
reasoanble being.....by any reasonable being.

But around the house I just get Carol
telling me, "You know more useless facts than anyone I know".

Useless facts is a lot like trivia. Which is to say, they ain't no
such thing.....they's only piquant knowledge in search of context.

* *What's a boy to do?

* * * Chuck Vance (who knows that with that awesome power comes huge
responsibility, but is willing to accept it)

Personally, I've always felt that one should be grateful for what one
can accomplish and maintain a suitable humility with regard to the
rest. *I remain content in the profligate and capricious exercise of
power and ever so willing to leave the responsibility to those who
manifestly do such a superlative job with it.

* *Words to live by. *:-)

Well, we lives by words and we dies by words......or maybe not.
Anyway, at the end of the day we lives and we dies.....or so we've
been told.

giles
so, how's things down in old Mexico and all that?

* *Still in Texas, but we should have the house on the market within
3-4 weeks. *Once that's done, it's just a matter of time. *And being a
gentleman of leisure since the beginning of November, I gots lots of
time. *Carol on the other hand is still working, so she might have a
slightly different view.

Time. Ah, yes. We've heard rumors thereof. Sounds like pretty much
a ****ty deal in the long run. No one gets out alive and all that.

* *So how's things in Curdistan?

One can always bitch.....hey, it's free.....right?

But the fact is that one is really not inclined to. Looking out the
window, even sepia is an exotic tint right now, longish after the sun
has set. But it's late February.....March comes soon.....and after
that revitalization can't be far behind.

Hell, they're already starting to tap the trees.

giles

Old May 7th, 2012, 03:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
ScovilleUnit

Giles wrote in
:

On Feb 28, 9:16*pm, ScovilleUnit wrote:

[...]