Need help picking out 8 wt travel rod

Old July 12th, 2004, 07:39 AM

Default Need help picking out 8 wt travel rod

I'd take the Temple Fork TiCr. Really like the SA Mastery XXD for a floating
line.
Old July 12th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Tom G

In article hKnIc.59742$%_6.12260@attbi_s01,
"matrobw" wrote:

Would anyone recommend a good travel 8 weight for me please.

I am looking at the 5 or 7 piece Redington Wayfarer to use on Coho's up in
Alaska in Septmeber. Don't want to carry my 2 piece Sage up there unless I
have too.

Would like to stay under $250.

Also considering Temple Fork Lefty Kreh Signature.

I bought a TFO Sal****er Series just before they renamed their product
line. So far, so good.
--
email:remove tt
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:05 AM
bassrecord

"matrobw" wrote in message
Would anyone recommend a good travel 8 weight for me please.

Not for Alaska Coho salmon. I'd take at least a 9 weight. If you are going
all the way to Alaska, unless you plan on depending on locals or guides out
in the bush, IMHO you need to take a back-up rod and reel. On a fly out you
just can't go to the local fly shop and get a quick replacement On the
Kenai I saw a guy lose his Loomis rod and Lamison Reel. He had no backup.
He drove to Anchorage to the fly shop bought a replacement and two days
later promptly lost it also!

I am looking at the 5 or 7 piece Redington Wayfarer to use on Coho's up in
Alaska in Septmeber. Don't want to carry my 2 piece Sage up there unless

have too.

Would like to stay under $250.

Also considering Temple Fork Lefty Kreh Signature.

Thanks

Matt

FWIW I took a 10 ft 5 piece 8 weight Sage and a 9 1'2 ft. 9 weight Loomis.
Both worked on 10 - 12 pound Sockeye and 8 - 15 pound Silvers in multiple
rivers but 35 pound Chum humiliated me! The 8 weight just felt way too
light - shoulda took a 10 weight instead.

Hope this helps.
Good luck and enjoy!
John

Old July 14th, 2004, 06:37 AM

For Coho the 8 wt will work, there are two other species of salmon up there
that would get my attention more rod wise. That said the fish overlap in the
rivers so I'd usually carry my Dan Craft 10 wt as the primary and an 8 wt
as the back up. I never go to Alaska or any where else without a travel
spinning rod for when the winds kick the bug slingers off the water. Been to
many places where the weather would have stopped my fishing otherwise. Just
happened again on the upper reaches of the north Bristol Bay drainages in
May/early June.