Redfin

Old April 17th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Pete

Default Redfin

Hi all,

Just came back from an afternoon fishing with my seven year old daughter,
what a day!

We were at a dam about 100 metres long by 40 metres wide, next to a park,
with lots of ducks floating around nice gum trees and a very busy main road
just nearby, at Mt Barker in the Adelaide Hills.

We started using unweighted garden worms on size 8 hooks, about a foot under
a pencil float (too much weed here to fish on the bottom) and by the time I
had my line set up and baited, my daughter had pulled in her first Redfin,
about 9 inches long. The action continued like this for the next two hours.
I changed to a red and white spinner with a treble hook, and was treated to
a hookup on the first cast - a young Redfin.

In between resetting my daughter's line and helping her cast out again, I
managed another couple of small Redfin on the spinner, as well as good bites
when I didn't actually land anything.

We stopped when it started getting dark and cold, but had a great time,
taking a total of 16 Redfin out of the dam, the biggest about 12 inches
long. It was a great introduction to fishing for my daughter, after a number
of unsuccessful trips to jetties, and (pardon the pun) I think she's hooked.

Cheers,
Pete

Old April 20th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Adam Seidel

"Pete" wrote in message
[...]

You know that redfin are an introduced species and cannot be returned to the
water?

Old April 21st, 2004, 04:24 AM
Pete

"Adam Seidel" wrote in message

You know that redfin are an introduced species and cannot be returned to

the
water?

Yep. Took 'em home for cat food.

My cat is also an introduced species, and doesn't like it if I try to return
it to the water.

Cheers,
Pete

Old April 21st, 2004, 11:53 AM
Badlands

"Pete" wrote in message

"Adam Seidel" wrote in message

You know that redfin are an introduced species and cannot be returned to

the
water?

Yep. Took 'em home for cat food.

My cat is also an introduced species, and doesn't like it if I try to

return
it to the water.

Cheers,
Pete

Great story mate,

Don't worry about the party poopers .. we are all introduced species!