I HATE HACKERS!!! OT

Old August 1st, 2008, 04:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Default I HATE HACKERS!!! OT

Well, normally I'm a fairly easy going guy, but this has me absolutely wild!
It's happened twice before, and now it's happened again. Some friggin'
$%@^#&* hacked into OutdoorFrontiers.com and bombed the site! I think I
could cheerfully beat on this person until they were a pulp!

I emailed the support people at the web hosting service as I knew they did
routine and regular backups of all their client's sites. I was told that
they evidently backed up my site right after it was hacked, and that the new
(and now useless) backup overwrote the previous one!

And to make matters worse, the external drive that I had the site backed up
to has for some reason decided to puke. I've taken it to a computer tech to
see if he can retrieve the data but he said "Don't get your hopes up." He
did say that if he couldn't get to the data, he wouldn't bill me for his
time. I guess I should at least be thankful for no bill if there's no
data....

What's wrong with people anyway that they have to trash others work?????
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old August 1st, 2008, 05:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Charles Summers

Let's not get hackers confused with the script kiddies... A true hacker
would have been there for a LONG time collecting as much personal
information about you and your guests as possible, mostly without ever
letting you know they were there.

Script Kiddies get their kicks exploiting weaknesses in you servers, deface
sites and basically make life miserable. Why? Just to say they did and to
impress their peers. Woot... I'm a HaXoR!!!

They all suck... sorry to hear they targeted you.

Old August 1st, 2008, 03:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

[...]

Steve I have been lucky, but I also have three separate backups of my
web site, two on hard rives and 1 on DVD, and I am thinking of doing a
complete site back up on my server in a separate hidden file.

Another place where your site might be backed up is on your own
browser's history, where you visited your own site with your browser

--
SpecTastic Wiggle Rig,
Fishing lure remote control
Old August 4th, 2008, 08:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Mike Getz

Steve, I've been fixing and around computers over 20 years, if your guy is
not opening the drive to recover data I know of a few places that do a CSI
type recovery. It ain't cheap, I'll guess between $750 and $1200, and you
only pay for the shipping if they can't get the data back.

Mike

Old August 5th, 2008, 01:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Mike Getz" wrote in message
Steve, I've been fixing and around computers over 20 years, if your guy is
not opening the drive to recover data I know of a few places that do a CSI
type recovery. It ain't cheap, I'll guess between $750 and $1200, and you
only pay for the shipping if they can't get the data back.

Mike

And even if he isn't opening the drive he should atleast hgave an absolute
read program to try like Norton Ghost.

Old August 14th, 2008, 07:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
George Kincaid

I'm just a lurker around here, but I thought I'd drop in and say I'm the
Outdoor Frontiers site is up and running again. Hope the FBI or whoever
tracks such criminals catches those hackers! Good luck! I enjoy the
conversations in this group--I'm getting back into fishing after several
years away...