RFD: rec.outdoors.bassfishing.tournaments

Old May 24th, 2006, 07:31 PM posted to news.groups,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default RFD: rec.outdoors.bassfishing.tournaments

"David Bostwick" wrote in message
In article , "Wolfgang"
wrote:

[...]

By the way, "SJ"? Does that mean what any literate person would
presumably
assume it does?

Wolfgang

Depends on your definition of literate. IIRC, it stands for Society of
Jesuits (although it's probably really Latin, eh, Martin?).

I don't think you fit my definition.

Wolfgang
would anyone like to tell the boy what it really means?

Old May 24th, 2006, 07:34 PM posted to news.groups,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Wed, 24 May 2006 13:03:57 -0500, "Wolfgang" wrote in
:

http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=history:big-8

rec.* is one of the eight hierarchies in the big-8.

Thanks, Marty. That's about what I figured. Interesting
stuff.....particularly this part:

" ... The most significant part of the name is given first. The first
component of the name is special and more significant than the rest of the
name, since it defines the top-level Usenet hierarchy to which that group
belongs"

It comes as no surprise that "management" would find this true......though I
be go ta hell if I can think of a good reason that they should.

We're using a system that started growing out of e-mail ... uh ... 25 years
ago or thereabouts.

The name of a newsgroup IS its "mailing address."

Rules for names are therefore constrained by NNTP standards
for what makes a good "mailing address."

http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.p...policies:names

Once upon a time, people created a new newsgroup just by
sending posts to it. This caused the creation of many interesting
new froups because the computer had no way of deciding
what was intended to be a new newsgroup and what was
just an accident on the keyboard.

People named groups any way they wanted (they still do
in alt.*, with the exception that for the group to be part of
alt.*, it has to begin with "alt.").

After the honeymoon period of total freedom to create
any group anyone wanted with any name that worked,
folks began to use checklists to weed out the typos and
limit the number of "real" groups to those that had been
placed on the list.

Once lists were started and some control established over
the news-distribution system, all of the pieces were in place
for the Great Renaming:

http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.p...great_renaming

To the end
user (and what, after all, is a newsgroup for?) precisely the opposite
should be true. I'm a fly fisher.....makes no difference to me how some
drudge wants to label and file the wing, the structure, the street address,
the city, the county, the state, the nation and the planet to which I go to
play. All I need is the room number.

If you're going to have a party, you have to give people directions to
the party.

The components of the name are the directions to the party.

My wild amateur guess is that 99% of folks in the room don't
know how the room, wing, structure, street, city, county, state,
nation, or planet got built. They just want to party.

But when you want to create a new room, that's where the
debates begin about what location it should be placed in.
I guess we're debating zoning laws.

That's where we are now.

By the way, "SJ"? Does that mean what any literate person would presumably
assume it does?

I'm a member of the "Society of Jesus," a.k.a. the Jesuits.

Marty
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:35 PM posted to news.groups,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Wolfgang" writes:

would anyone like to tell the boy what it really means?

Is it one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SJ

-Dave
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:25 PM posted to news.groups,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Wed, 24 May 2006 13:27:23 -0500, "Wolfgang" wrote in
:

I'd guess there was probably a time when a highly structured naming scheme
was deemed not only useful but absolutely necessary.

The grammar required by NNTP is still essential.

Nowadays, if someone spells a newsgroup name wrongly, the post
goes into the bit bucket.

Most people don't even know that there are rules for the
formation of names.

They just use the ones that exist.

I very much doubt that
it remains so today even if it was once true.

It's a matter of taste at the higher level of meaning (syntax).

The proposed newsgroup needs a name so that people can
send posts to it.

Some of the names that could be used a

rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments
rec.sport.fishing.tournaments
rec.fishing.tournaments
fishing.tournaments
tournament.fishing

The first three names fall under the management of the
Big-8. The last two are (so far as I know) non-existent
hierarchies.

If the group is created under "rec," chances are good
that it will be carried on a lot of servers worldwide.

If you want to create the "fishing" or "tournament" hierarchy, you may.
There are rules for doing so. It would probably take a while for
the new hierarchy to be adopted by a lot of news servers, but
it has been done before and can be done again. What happens
in the "fishing" or "tournament" namespace is none of the
big-8's business.

For a complete list of groups in the big-8, see:
http://moleski.net/newsgroups/checkgroups/list.htm

Marty
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:11 AM posted to news.groups,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

As far as this RFD is concerned this discussion can be settled quite easily.

I am completely satisfied with rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments.

I am also pleased with the idea of the newsgroup being open to all types of
tournament fishing rather than just bass.

The name change was done at the request of members of the Big8 board and I
have been told that they are satisfied with its place in the hierarchy.

I do not believe anyone looking for this proposed newsgroup would have one
iota of difficulty in finding it regardless of whether tournament is to the
far right in the name or in the more "significant" left position as most if
not all newsreaders have a search engine element which is keyword based. A
simple search would result in
ones arrival at the correct location.

Unless of course, as Marty pointed out, they are unable to spell
"tournament". In which case I'm not certain I care whether they find it or
not. ;-)

Richard Hamel
Proponent

Old May 25th, 2006, 05:55 AM posted to news.groups,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 24 May 2006 21:02:05 -0700, "MajorOz" wrote in
.com:

... "SJ" is English--"Society of Jesus." ...

[To the proponent and folks interested in fishing:
sorry for the thread drift.]

... I almost got it from the "X". The only people I have ever known with
the middle name Xavier were clerics of some sort.

After my Dad died this spring, Mom told me that they chose my name
when they were dating. I was the second child in the family, so the
choice of name wasn't motivated by immediate need. )

I have met lots of FX's in the Society. My great-uncle Ignatius wanted
to be a Jesuit, but they turned him down.

oz, Creighton Prep, '57

I did Tertianship down the hill from Creighton U in 1992-93. Nice
town.

[Tiny nod to the rofb folks:]

AH! I fish for bass in my family's pond in Little Valley, NY. There
are some bluegills in the pond, too. Someday I'm gonna get
a bag of crayfish and see if they'll provide more feed for the bass.

The biggest bass we ever caught in the pond was 16". I have
his outline on a piece of 2x6" wood. I'm sorry that I let the kid
who caught him cook him. Haven't hooked one that big
again. (

Marty
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:20 AM posted to news.groups,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:20:43 -0700, Brian Mailman
wrote:

Cyli wrote:

Have you ever looked at some of the alt group names? Eeek!

You can't compare alt.* in this regard.

I thought that contrasting was different than comparing...

alt.* is an unmanaged hierarchy; anyone can send a newgroup control with
any name they feel like. There's no check on that ability.

Yes. Exactly.
--

r.bc: vixen
Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..

Don't ask me what time it is lest I'm of
a mood to tell you how to make a clock.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli