Micro-Patterns

Old September 29th, 2003, 03:16 PM
Bruiser

Default Micro-Patterns

Gosh, thanks for the nice compliments! Anyone who's fished with Willi and I
will notice, however, that Willi keeps saying: "There we go" over and over
while I change flies and beat the water. I've learned a ton from Willi and
all of his flies are beautiful. Just yesterday I was fishing one of his
small Snowshoe duns. I tie the pattern also, just as he taught me, but mine
look a bit different. Yesterday the fishing was pretty good and eventually
I was just blind casting Willi's tiny snowshoe dun (a dead ringer for a
hatching baetis and I was seeing a few duns) up into the riffles and
inevitably a little trout would rise up out of the fast water and casually
take it. Prior to that I was fishing a parachute adams and it didn't work
nearly as well. I think the Willi pattern that Warren really likes is a
quill bodied CDC wing emerger and that is a very cool bug - very buggy and
natural looking.

I do love to tie and fish small bugs though.

bruce h

Old September 29th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Mu Young Lee

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Peter Charles wrote:

On a couple of occasions, the little 10" browns even seemed to spit
water onto my trico spinner in finny disdain.

See, you're going to need that doctorate if you're gonna outsmart these
guys.

I have never been much of a dead-drift, emerger angler as I had little
faith I could detect the strike

I actually use indicator putty on occasion when fishing small dries -
expecially in certain situations where the glare makes my color blind eyes
almost worthless in tracking the fly.

Mu
Old September 29th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Larry L

"Mu Young Lee"

I actually use indicator putty on occasion when fishing small dries -
expecially in certain situations where the glare makes my color blind eyes
almost worthless in tracking the fly.

Me too, and I tie "3 wing" spinners to increase visability ... these have
winging above the water as well as the standard "spent" position ... it is
very seldom indeed that one won't work for a fish when a full spent pattern
will ... IME

If you use hackle for spinner wings, just trim the bottom leave the top half
full, ( I carry folding scissors for quickly changing to full spent ... IF
needed ) If you use organza or some such, tie in a few strands before the
"spent wing" then pull those strands over that wing "loop wing" style after
it is in place ... again quickly changed to full spent in the rare cases a
fish refuses the "3 wing" .... many fish seen to be eating duns will take a
3 wing too, fwiw.

I just "invented" ( like anything is new,G but it was an original thought
to me, if not the world ) the 3 wing this summer and thus far it looks great
.... and has worked very well places like Hebgen and Henry's Fork that tend
to test patterns severely. The need to see what a few years back would have
been easy was the mother of the invention ... maybe a full spent would get
more rises but I don't see them so I get more fish with the 3 wing, so
whether it would be "better" for someone with younger eyes is something I
can't comment on.

Old September 29th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Larry L

Oh, and, .... I discovered that a single strand of black crystal flash along
the leading edge of a callibaetis spinner wing seems to increase it's
effectiveness on tough fish .... the naturals have a distinct leading wing
edge and maybe "been caught before" fish start looking for it? ... the
pattern modification hasn't been tested enough to become permanent in my
box, but I bet a few more callibaetis spinner falls give it that status,
from what I've seen

Old September 30th, 2003, 12:57 AM
Guyz-N-Flyz

"Tom Littleton" wrote in message
Dave LaC writes:

a host of nasty stuff about Fortenberry

good lord, you two! It is a shame to see a couple of longstanding

regulars at
this bar **** on one another like this. It is so unseemly for ROFF....um,

er,
on second thought, never mind.
Tom

Can't ya just feel the LUV?

Op --What ya wanna bet there's a country song title in this? "The Commie
Pinko and the Patriot."--

Old September 30th, 2003, 02:09 AM
Tom Littleton

Op wonders aloud:
-What ya wanna bet there's a country song title in this? "The Commie
Pinko and the Patriot."--

if not that, at the very least a Pro Wrestling story line.
Tom
can't you just hear the announcer say:
"In the Blue Corner, brandishing a seven-
iron...".