Grice & Young Avon Royal Supreme III

Old December 26th, 2006, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Brownz \(Asus S6F Vista\)

Default Grice & Young Avon Royal Supreme III

So, popped round to my uncles today, and got talking about chub & barbel.
I mentioned that I was going to look around for a center pin reel to trot
with.
He dissapeared for a couple of mins and came back with a brand new boxed
Grice & Young Avon Royal Supreme III.
Result - today I will be mainly chuffed to bits !!
When I say brand new, the real is brand new and unused, but obviously fairly
old judging by the musty smell of the box.
Anyway, a drop of oil was applied to the center pin in anticipation of
giving it a run out in the next few days.
One question though.
http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/brownie/avonrs3.jpg
What is the loose triangular shaped bit of metal for, shown to the left of
the drag adjustment roller in the bottom left hand of the reel.
Is it just a spare ratchet lug, should the one in the reel (pictured towards
the top covered in grease) wear out ?

--
Cheers - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

Old December 26th, 2006, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Ken Ward

"Brownz (Asus S6F Vista)" wrote in message
news
What is the loose triangular shaped bit of metal for, shown to the left of
the drag adjustment roller in the bottom left hand of the reel.
Is it just a spare ratchet lug, should the one in the reel (pictured
towards the top covered in grease) wear out ?

I would agree with that.... aren't you the lucky one.

Ken Ward.

Old December 27th, 2006, 04:39 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Brownz \(Asus S6F Vista\)

"Ken Ward" wrote in message

"Brownz (Asus S6F Vista)" wrote in message
news
What is the loose triangular shaped bit of metal for, shown to the left
of the drag adjustment roller in the bottom left hand of the reel.
Is it just a spare ratchet lug, should the one in the reel (pictured
towards the top covered in grease) wear out ?

I would agree with that.... aren't you the lucky one.

Ken Ward.

Well.... I'm happy as I was going to shell out for a half decent Okuma one
in the next couple of days.

--
Cheers - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

Old December 29th, 2006, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article ,
Brownz (Asus S6F Vista) wrote:
So, popped round to my uncles today, and got talking about chub & barbel.
I mentioned that I was going to look around for a center pin reel to trot
with.
He dissapeared for a couple of mins and came back with a brand new boxed
Grice & Young Avon Royal Supreme III.
Result - today I will be mainly chuffed to bits !!

Jammy Blighter.

When I say brand new, the real is brand new and unused, but obviously fairly
old judging by the musty smell of the box.
Anyway, a drop of oil was applied to the center pin in anticipation of
giving it a run out in the next few days.

Completely degrease and relubricate. The old grease will probably be too
stiff by now and it's done its job.

One question though.
http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/brownie/avonrs3.jpg
What is the loose triangular shaped bit of metal for, shown to the left of
the drag adjustment roller in the bottom left hand of the reel.
Is it just a spare ratchet lug, should the one in the reel (pictured towards
the top covered in grease) wear out ?

Ime they last about 20 years' hard use...

Have Fun. Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old December 30th, 2006, 01:37 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Brownz \(Asus S6F Vista\)

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article ,
Brownz (Asus S6F Vista) wrote:
[...]

I've just finished a strip and rebuild / regrease.

It spins like a dream, just wish my usual chub spot was a bit less swelled
and a touch slower than it is at the moment.

--
Cheers - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

Old December 30th, 2006, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

wrote:

Grice & Young Avon Royal Supreme III.

I've just finished a strip and rebuild / regrease.

It spins like a dream, just wish my usual chub spot was a bit less swelled
and a touch slower than it is at the moment.

They won't be far away. Christmas leftovers usually include a few scraps of
blue cheese so make up a really smelly paste.

Set up a big avon and shot it to allow a long lay-on - then use an egg sized
bait on a #2 and use the 'pin to stret into, seek out and lay on in the
slower pockets.

Cheerio,