looking for alvey reel help

Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:38 AM posted to aus.sport.fishing
COX

Default looking for alvey reel help

i am an avid surf fisherman, fishing the pacific coast of mainland mexico
and southern california. i bought an alvey 625 and had a 12' rod made to
alvey specs. it casts 1-3 oz. lead spoons beautifully, but i could not stop
the line twist. i tried 3 brands of line in 3 different tests (20-25-30),
but to no avail. i tried up to 3 ball bearing swivel, and still could only
make 5-10 casts until i had to cut 20 or 30 yards of line off. very
frustrating, especially when the bite is on. any suggestions from down under
on how to solve this problem.

Old July 4th, 2007, 03:16 AM posted to aus.sport.fishing
Brad

"COX" wrote in message
i am an avid surf fisherman, fishing the pacific coast of mainland mexico
and southern california. i bought an alvey 625 and had a 12' rod made to
alvey specs. it casts 1-3 oz. lead spoons beautifully, but i could not stop
the line twist. i tried 3 brands of line in 3 different tests (20-25-30),
but to no avail. i tried up to 3 ball bearing swivel, and still could only
make 5-10 casts until i had to cut 20 or 30 yards of line off. very
frustrating, especially when the bite is on. any suggestions from down
under on how to solve this problem.

Alvey are known for this problem, they are not good for repeated lure
casting, that said I have not had this problem myself. I didn't look at the
model but I have a fairly large diameter alvey and have been able to cast
hundreds of times during the tailor run on Frazer Island. I was casting
fairly large metal slices and using a ball bearing swivel, (all I had in a
black colour). The design of the alvey means one twist for every revolution
of the spool when you are winding it in. Due to my blue water fishing I have
a habit of guiding the line onto the spool with my fingers during retrieve,
make sure you allow the lure to spin to remove some twist after each cast.
The more weight that is being used allows the swivel to work better too.
Another idea would be to shape the lure to spin during retrieve so as to
unwind the line. For constant lure casting an eggbeater or overhead is a
better choice.

Oh I just remembered, because the Alveys are designed in the southern
hemisphere and you are in the north, the twist is caused by the water
circulating the wrong way in the gutters running along the beach ;-)

--
Brad Leyden
6° 43.5816' S 146° 59.3097' E WGS84

Old July 20th, 2007, 02:39 AM posted to aus.sport.fishing
COX

"Brad" wrote in message
[...]

I also feed the line on, due to my deep sea experience, this does not seem
to help.
I had a feeling that the reel is designed for bait as opposed to casting and
retrieving lead.

Oh I just remembered, because the Alveys are designed in the southern
hemisphere and you are in the north, the twist is caused by the water
circulating the wrong way in the gutters running along the beach ;-)

I suspected as much, damned tectonic plates :-)

thanks for the info

curtisballardsr