Bream and Bread

Old March 5th, 2004, 01:28 PM
John

Default Bream and Bread

G'day

I've just got back into fishing after a 5 or so year break because of
bad health and have been lurking in here for a few weeks, not sure if
it's my slack news server but I'm kinda suprised at how few the
postings are in here. For some reason I thought a fishing newsgroup
would be a lot more popular.

Anyway, I thought I would come out of lurking and post a recent
fishing experience. I've been fishing on a small rocky outcrop at
Lemon Tree Passage in Port Stephens and have been catching a few
flathead and whiting. I have been a little disappointed as my
favourite type of fishing is for bream and this spot looks like there
should be plenty of bream. I'd been catching plenty of small bream and
even a few that were almost legal so I thought after dark there would
be plenty of bigguns about but as soon as the sun went down I wasn't
even getting a bite (except for a huge stingray that had me excited
for about 20 minutes). For bait I had tried yabbies, prawns, worms,
mullet and white bait.

The other day I took some bread with me because I had noticed mullet
and gars in the shallows near the rocks. I threw some bread in the
water while I was fishing on the bottom and there was soon a heap of
fish attacking the bread so I grabbed my other rod that I had rigged
with a pencil float and put a bit of bread on and dropped it in the
water hoping to catch a mullet or garfish. The float wasn't more than
about 10ft away from me in about a foot of water when the float
disappeared. There was a moment of panic because I had the rod lying
across my lap and was crushing up some sao bickies for berley. I
grabbed the rod and was hooked up, I wasn't sure what it was but it
was giving me a good run for my money on the light gar gear and kept
heading towards the oyster rocks. I eventually pulled in a nice bream
about 1.5lb, I caught 5 more about the same size before calling it a
day. Since then I've been catching bream everytime I go using the same
method.

I've tried using prawn under the float but they are only interested in
the bread. Not that I'm complaing because bread is a lot cheaper than
buying prawns and better on the back than pumping yabbies. My only
problem is berlying them up without the mongrel seagulls spotting me
and stealing the berley and scaring the fish off.

Sorry if I bored anyone, cheers and good fishing....JC
Old March 7th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Steve Paris

"John" wrote in message
G'day

I've just got back into fishing after a 5 or so year break because of
bad health and have been lurking in here for a few weeks, not sure if
it's my slack news server but I'm kinda suprised at how few the
postings are in here. For some reason I thought a fishing newsgroup
would be a lot more popular.

John, next time you go to that spot, try berlying with potato. Get a small
cheese grater (small holes) and grate up a potato. (it turns to mash), and
just toss a small blob into the water every 10 minutes. You won't believe
your eyes !! Fish LOVE potato !. And remember, when fishing for bream, don't
throw your bait right out, most fish are close in to the oyster encrusted
rocks that your sitting on. Cheers.

--
Steve Paris L/S
Tropical Cairns Nth Queensland

Old March 8th, 2004, 11:07 AM
John

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 06:09:30 +1000, in aus.sport.fishing you wrote:

G'day Steve,

John, next time you go to that spot, try berlying with potato. Get a small
cheese grater (small holes) and grate up a potato. (it turns to mash), and
just toss a small blob into the water every 10 minutes. You won't believe
your eyes !! Fish LOVE potato !. And remember, when fishing for bream, don't
throw your bait right out, most fish are close in to the oyster encrusted
rocks that your sitting on. Cheers.

Thanks for the tip, I've never tried potato as berley but I'm gonna
give it a go tomorrow. I went to my spot today, no bream but I got a
few nice mullet.

What do you recommend for bait when using potato as berley?

Cheers.
Old March 11th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Spider

Maybe you are in the tropics but if you haven't fished the bream in the
Cairns harbour you have missed some great fishing on some of the biggest
bream in Oz.

Old March 15th, 2004, 11:59 AM
PetenGail

jc its a lovely story.... and good fishing...
Old March 16th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Lindsay

John wrote:

G'day

Right back at ya

I've tried using prawn under the float but they are only interested in
the bread. Not that I'm complaing because bread is a lot cheaper than
buying prawns and better on the back than pumping yabbies. My only
problem is berlying them up without the mongrel seagulls spotting me
and stealing the berley and scaring the fish off.

Sorry if I bored anyone, cheers and good fishing....JC

Good on ya.. great report.

Regards

Lindsay

--
Scrap the 00 to post direct.

'Speed limit near schools lowered to 40 grams per student' - CNNNN
Old April 5th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Scotty

you'll probably find most people use forums such as www.fishnet.com.au or
local ones in your state eg. www.fishsa.com.au and www.fishep.com.au here in
South Oz (no doubt there are others all other states/territories).
Traffic is pretty light in this newsgroup (I have the occasional look)