A little TV fishin'

Old September 5th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Mark Bowen

Default A little TV fishin'

After a long day on the property, yesterday, settin' up auto-deer feeders, I decided
to spend a lazy day inside today. Sittin' here listenin' to NPR and watchin' PBS, I
watched a program about scientist who were attemptin' to capture--live-- a monster
man-eater croc (better than 45' long and estimated to be 60 y.o.) in Burundi. They
didn't succeed.

The next program to come on was Carolina Outdoor Journal which, I believe is produced
down around Mr. Miller's way in Greenville, NC. Today's show centered on flyfishin'
in the Pisgah--though they never say exactly where--on a delayed-harvest stream. I
think that it may have been up in Wilkes Co. on Stone Mountain Creek, but I don't
really know. They did say that they were fishin' in May and as always they do a
segment on the gear they use. The fishermen used the tried and true caddis and Adams'
patterns primarily, but they also fished with droppers--beadhead pheasant tail.

A few thing that they did or suggested seemed odd to me: They netted most all of the
fish, no matter the size and then handled the fish for what seemed an eternity. Now I
realize that they are producing a TV program and need to show the fish to make the
show interesting, but handlin' the fish after netting seems to defeat the purpose of
the net?

One, of the two guides, stated that a 7 1/2' to 8' rod and 4 and 5 weight rods were
recommended for the small streams in the Pisgah. I tend to use shorter and lighter
weight rods myself, but then I'm not a guide. There are times when I fish that I wish
that I had a longer rod on the small streams that I fish; mostly, those times are when
I am tryin' to keep my line off the water when castin' over a spill, or when tryin' to
get my line across a fast current to an eddy on the other side of the stream. For the
majority of my fishin' needs, on our small streams, I like a 6' to 7 1/2' rod in the 3
wt. range. I find that I can cast to difficult to get to sections of water by
positioning myself and I can get under rhodo branches more easily with a shorter rod.
I like usin' a 3 wt., cause *I believe* it gives me a more delicate presentation and I
can feel the fish I catch. The majority of fish I catch are in the 7 to 11 inch
range, though it's not uncommon to catch wild trout up to 18 inches on some stretches
of water I fish.

Finally, I couldn't help but notice that neither the guide nor their guests took any
but the largest fish to reel? Obviously, COJ isn't produced with the elite flyfisher
in mind.

Mark

Old September 5th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Tim Lysyk

Mark Bowen wrote:

A few thing that they did or suggested seemed odd to me: They netted most all of the
fish, no matter the size and then handled the fish for what seemed an eternity. Now I
realize that they are producing a TV program and need to show the fish to make the
show interesting, but handlin' the fish after netting seems to defeat the purpose of
the net?

I net the larger fish. Smaller fish don't need to be netted, and I can
usually get the fly out out with a pair of long forceps. I don't like
handling the fish too much, but at the same time, I thnk trout can take
a lot more handling than people give them credit for.

One, of the two guides, stated that a 7 1/2' to 8' rod and 4 and 5 weight rods were
recommended for the small streams in the Pisgah. I tend to use shorter and lighter
weight rods myself

Lots of things determine choice of rod weight, I think personal
preference is the overriding factor. I tend to stay away from the really
light rods on the streams I fish. I will use a 6 wt most often, or a 5
wt in the summer when fishing dries. Around here, wind is the limiting
factor, and a 5 wt is about a light as I want to go; it is a good
compromise between rod weight nd being able to cast in the wind. On calm
days, in the summer, I like to use a 4 weight for dries, just because.
Delicate presentation doesn't enter into my choice of rod weights.

Finally, I couldn't help but notice that neither the guide nor their guests took any
but the largest fish to reel? Obviously, COJ isn't produced with the elite flyfisher
in mind.

Getting fish on the reel is only worthwhile for the larger fish. I enjoy
playing fish on the reel, but I don't think the trout care one way or
the other.

Tim Lysyk

Old September 5th, 2004, 06:21 PM
rw

Tim Lysyk wrote:

Getting fish on the reel is only worthwhile for the larger fish. I enjoy
playing fish on the reel, but I don't think the trout care one way or
the other.

Dishonorable. And unethical.

Old September 5th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Jeff Miller

coj is produced for business reasons - money. but it's producer, joe
albea, is a devoted outdoorsman who cares about fishing, hunting, and
protecting the areas sportsmen/women and wildlife enjoy. he's worked
hard at foiling the navy's plan to build a practice landing strip in an
area known (and renown) for its goose and swan populations. he's not
really figured out nc mountain trout fishing yet, and just goes to those
areas where a tv production crew can tag along. he generally uses the
orvis/foscoe fishing guides. ollie has been down here flipping flies
for shad and stripers in the spring. fortunately, no one has told joe or
coj where to find real trout fishing...yet.

when i ran into joe last week, he said he's gonna do a show with judson
conway (eustace conway's brother - google "turtle island" for info about
eustace, and some about judson too) of elk creek outfitters (in boone)
about flyfishing for muskie in the new river or watauga... apparently,
they've found a strain in the area wanting to become teevee stars.
whatever you do, don't let him know your favorite fishing place or the
cable will need to be replaced with an escalator and turnstiles g.

its about time for another sortie between the trail and the falls, isn't
it? i've been thinking on coming up for a weekend to do it before
graham county.

jeff