essential SAFETY GEAR

Old March 25th, 2005, 02:26 AM
O2gen

Default essential SAFETY GEAR

G'day All,

I must confess I know nothing about fishing....I don't even own a fishing
rod, but before you delete this post could you please give me a few little
tips.

My father in-law has just bought a dingy and an outboard motor and is
throwing a line overboard every weekend. I've noticed he doesn't have any
rescue/safety gear and I'm wondering what is vital to carry.

'My wife told me he has a small boat licence and a fishing licence, so I
suspect he knows what he should be carrying in accordance with legislation'

I'd like to get him some stuff for his B'day and really push the safety
point!

cheers,
Doc

Old March 25th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Craig L.

I must confess I know nothing about fishing....I don't even own a fishing
rod, but before you delete this post could you please give me a few little
tips.

My father in-law has just bought a dingy and an outboard motor and is
throwing a line overboard every weekend. I've noticed he doesn't have any
rescue/safety gear and I'm wondering what is vital to carry.

'My wife told me he has a small boat licence and a fishing licence, so I
suspect he knows what he should be carrying in accordance with
legislation'

I'd like to get him some stuff for his B'day and really push the safety
point!

G'day Doc,

This is the minium you should be carrying in a boat under six metres in
sheltered waters.

Anchor, rope and chain
Bailer/Bilge pump
Personal flotation device type, 1 one for each person.
Fire extinguisher 1kg 5BE
Oars/auxiliary propulsion
Flares "3,5"
Heaving line
First aid kit
Water

Cheers
Craig
--
When armies are mobilized and issues are joined,
The man who is sorry over the fact will win.

Old March 26th, 2005, 08:36 AM
O2gen

thanks craig!

Old March 26th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Mil80C

"O2gen" wrote in message
thanks craig!

O2, Craig has listed most and his post is good, I would also add a "V" sheet
and a waterproof torch and if you check the website for your state authority
that issues the boat licence, they will probably have details of what is
mandatory and what is recommended.

Another suggestion would be to check his boat and buy a container to hold
this stuff that is tailored to fit into an available space. That way he
will be happy with the gear as it won't get in the way or get damaged
floating round the boat.

Old March 26th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Craig L.

O2, Craig has listed most and his post is good, I would also add a "V"
sheet and a waterproof torch and if you check the website for your state
authority that issues the boat licence, they will probably have details of
what is mandatory and what is recommended.

Another suggestion would be to check his boat and buy a container to hold
this stuff that is tailored to fit into an available space. That way he
will be happy with the gear as it won't get in the way or get damaged
floating round the boat.

The items I listed are all mandatory in Tasmanian waters with the exception
of the Heaving Line, First Aid Kit and Water, although I believe you would
have to be an idiot not to have them aboard. If you are heading outside
sheltered waters in a vessel under 6m all those items are mandatory as well
as
a VHF marine radio, 406 MHz EPIRB and a radar reflector.

As Mil80C said check with your owns states authority to see what is
recommended and what is mandatory. I also agree with Mil80C about the V
sheet and the waterproof torch, I don't carry a V sheet myself but I do
carry a good water proof torch and spare batteries.

Cheers
Craig
--
Conquer thyself, till thou has done this, thou art but a slave; for it is
almost as well to be subjected to another's appetite as to thine own.