whats your largest fish caught on smallest fly

Old May 16th, 2004, 06:29 AM
tony weall

Default whats your largest fish caught on smallest fly

thesize of some of these midges blew me away, i have a argument with a
friend of mine who believes you can only catch small fish on these small
flies but i reckon that larger fish would take them too(hes from new zealand
they only use shark hooks there)

---

Old May 16th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Padishar Creel

This will not be by any measure be the best reponse here in Roffian Land,
but I happen to remember this fish and the size of the hook.

Size 22 parachute adams dry fly - 19 1/2" rainbow trout -- I couldn't weigh
it, but it was very well fed. My guess would be 3 to maybe 3 1/2 pounds.

Chris

Old May 16th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Salmo Bytes

"tony weall" wrote in message ...
thesize of some of these midges blew me away, i have a argument with a
friend of mine who believes you can only catch small fish on these small
flies but i reckon that larger fish would take them too(hes from new zealand
they only use shark hooks there)

I've caught fish (browns and rainbows) to 20" or so--on the
Missouri in Montana--during the October Baetis hatch....ususally
fishing 18 or 20 Parachutes. I've heard of fish to 23-24" caught
that way, but I never did.

==============

In a piece about Roadkill Streamers I once asked
about "the smallest fish caught on the biggest fly"
.....and told a story of catching an 11" brown
trout on a 7" long fly.

http://montana-riverboats.com/static...Streamers.html
Old May 16th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Stephen Welsh

"tony weall" wrote in
:

thesize of some of these midges blew me away, i have a argument with a
friend of mine who believes you can only catch small fish on these
small flies but i reckon that larger fish would take them too(hes from
new zealand they only use shark hooks there)

20" Brown on an 18 Hare's ear. Is probably about the turnover point for me.

Both you and your friend are right, big fish take small flies, but it
doesn't necessarily mean you'll catch 'em.

;-)

Steve
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Padishar Creel

Padishar Creel claimed to have caught a 19 1/2" trout on a size 22 parachute
adams. After further research into his fly box a retraction is now
required. The fly is a size 20 not a 22 and the Mrs. says the fish was much
closer to 3 pounds than 3 1/2...isn't she cute?

Chris

Old May 17th, 2004, 09:01 PM
George Adams

22" Landlock on a #18 Sulphur Spinner - Upper CT River in 2001.

18" Brown on a #26 Trico Spinner - Battenkill River - 1975

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Old May 17th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Jim

On Sun, 16 May 2004 13:29:40 +0800, "tony weall"
wrote:

thesize of some of these midges blew me away, i have a argument with a
friend of mine who believes you can only catch small fish on these small
flies but i reckon that larger fish would take them too(hes from new zealand
they only use shark hooks there)

As a Kiwi I had to rise to the bait and not let this slur go
unanswered. :-)
My largest fish was 8.5 lb Tongariro rainbow jack on a #14 white
caddis. This is not unusal on the Tongariro though. Why would you want
to tie #20 and #22 flies, which I imagine would be very fiddlerly,
when a #14 shark hook does the job just fine?

Old May 17th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Stephen Welsh

Jim wrote in
news
Why would you want
to tie #20 and #22 flies, which I imagine would be very fiddlerly,
when a #14 shark hook does the job just fine?

You need need to find a fly that'll take the fish: at times it is a #20.
Bigunamed river a few weeks back: a rainbow refuses an #14 beetle at nose,
then refuses a #16 caddis emerger at nose, then snaffles an #18 CDC thread
midge. This sort of thing happens to me a several times a season (that I
know of) and flies down to #22 are needed (as is happening now when the
midge abound).

Effective small flies aren't that fiddly to tie either, generally you're
looking at basic methods and 1,2 or 3 materials.

Steve (Nice fish BTW

Old May 17th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Bob Weinberger

news
wrote:

As a Kiwi I had to rise to the bait and not let this slur go
unanswered. :-)
My largest fish was 8.5 lb Tongariro rainbow jack on a #14 white
caddis. This is not unusal on the Tongariro though. Why would you want
to tie #20 and #22 flies, which I imagine would be very fiddlerly,
when a #14 shark hook does the job just fine?

In tailwaters in the US, much of the trout's diet consists of very small
insects (in large quiantities). My largest fish under these conditions is a
23" Brown on a size 22 midge emerger, and I have caught numerous 18-22" fish
on size 20 -24 flies.
Three years ago, I caught a 14lb. steelhead on a size 16 Copper John after
it successively boiled at - but refused - size 4, sixe 6, size 8, and size
12 standard steelhead patterns.

--
Bob Weinberger
La, Grande, OR

place a dot between bobs and stuff and remove invalid to send email