is this a silly idea? (surf fishing in Florida)

Old March 2nd, 2005, 02:09 AM

Default is this a silly idea? (surf fishing in Florida)

Hi,

I am a complete beginner in fishing and my only experience so far was
fishing in the Mosqito Lagoon in East Central Florida, close to Cape
Canaveral. Using a 6 foot rod, a braided line (20lbs equivalent), a
metal leader (also 20lbs) with a swivel and a snap (I know, this is a
newbie's sin, but it allows me to changes lures easily) and a Jonhson's
Silver Minnow (which is actually golden) I caught speckled sea trouts.

I am thinking of trying to catch some fish in the surf off the closest
beach. All the fishermen here use very large fighing poles and live
bait so I wonder, is my idea of using a small 6 foot rod with my
braided line and my Johnson spoon really silly, or might I still catch
something?

(I do not have the money for another rod, nor do I feel comfortable
changing my line, but I would gladly use another lure if advised to do
so).

Any advice/comments would be very much appreciated!

Kind regards,

TN

Old March 2nd, 2005, 03:29 AM
joe

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

You can always use whatever you have and take pleasure in the fact you
are fishing. Equipment can make a difference in the degree of success
you have. However, you could just as easily catch as many or more fish
than someone with better suited equipment.

Nothing wrong with your setup but I would probably change the leader to
heavy fluorocarbon (something 20 - 40 pounds) unless you are fishing
sharks primarily. Using artificial lures it is less likely you will be
hooking sharks.

The benefit of the longer rods is the distance they produce in the cast.
They accomplish getting your bait (usually not artificials) out to
deeper water where predators or scavengers are looking for a meal.

The braided line actually will help you get better casting distance due
to low line memory, slick finish and small diameter for the strength.
The spoon is a good choice, I would probably use silver (for various
reasons but mostly because it has produced many times for me). I always
use a swivel/snap-swivel with a spoon to avoid line twist. I would
probably not do so with a lure as the extra weight will possibly change
the lure balance or action. Using a few simple knots it takes less than
a minute to make the change.

Trout would be a possibility for you along with other species. It is
quite possible to find predators running along the shoreline herding
bait in the shallows. Look for changes in the bottom that may force fish
closer to shore or funnel them through a specific channel where you can
target these fish. Also, areas that allow for easy ambush of the
baitfish.

Maybe some of this will help.

Good Fishin'

atljoe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Old March 2nd, 2005, 12:41 PM
Ray or Bobbi Adams

Use what you have and enjoy the pleasure of fishing. Remember its called
fishing, not catching, so enjoy the fresh air/

Old March 2nd, 2005, 01:28 PM

joe wrote:
The spoon is a good choice, I would probably use silver (for various
reasons but mostly because it has produced many times for me). I

always
use a swivel/snap-swivel with a spoon to avoid line twist. I would
probably not do so with a lure as the extra weight will possibly

change
the lure balance or action. Using a few simple knots it takes less

than
a minute to make the change.

Good morning Joe!

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of follow-up questions:

1) Spoons: mine are the "weedless" type. Is that also ok in the surf
(I realize there is not much weed there, but it could save me the cost
of getting another one).
2) Spoons & weight: which size spoon should I choose? I mean - the
heavier, the further I can cast it, in particular in a windy day, but
heavier is also bigger, which might end up being too big for the fish.
Can I add weight to the leader by adding a couple of splint shot
sinkers or is the entire beach going to choke to death while laughing
at me :-)
3) a little off-topic here, but I still want to ask you. Is is really
that bad to fish with a swivel/snap when using a lure? I use Yo-Zuri
and Rapala Original Floating lures and while I do notice a difference
in behavior (it takes less pull to have them go deeper) it is slight.
I was under the impression that the problem with a swivel/snap is that
it is too *visible* for the fish, but my (maybe mistaken) commen sense
tells me that a fish seeing a lure with a lure on leader with a
swivel/snap will think that the lure is "chasing" the rest of the
hardware, I mean - this is a fish, not a PhD student from MIT, I am
trying to catch - I am really mistaken here?

On one hand, my only fishing book (-: unsurprizingly and adequately
called "Fishing for Dummies" :-) says that "some anglers use snaps for
changing lures or baits as well. This technique is a lazy person's way
out, and is definitely NOT the way to get the best action out of your
lure" while, on the other hand, local fishermen had told me that this
is simply "techno-snobism from purists" (and quote here). What do you
think?

Again - many thanks for everything!

TN

PS: please let me know if I should maybe get another type of spoon/lure!

Old March 2nd, 2005, 03:56 PM
Charlie Bress

I fish the surf on the west coast of Florida.
Here's my take on your questions.

1) Spoons: mine are the "weedless" type. Is that also ok in the surf

Sure. You don't need the weed guards, but they won't hurt.

2) Spoons & weight: which size spoon should I choose? I mean - the
heavier, the further I can cast it, in particular in a windy day, but
heavier is also bigger, which might end up being too big for the fish.

The lures should be selected to match the rod you have. You want the whole
setup to be comfortable to use. You will be doing a lot of casting

Can I add weight to the leader by adding a couple of splint shot
sinkers or is the entire beach going to choke to death while laughing
at me :-)

Not a good idea. Use the right weight lure.

3) a little off-topic here, but I still want to ask you. Is is really
that bad to fish with a swivel/snap when using a lure? I use Yo-Zuri
and Rapala Original Floating lures and while I do notice a difference
in behavior (it takes less pull to have them go deeper) it is slight.
I was under the impression that the problem with a swivel/snap is that
it is too *visible* for the fish, but my (maybe mistaken) commen sense
tells me that a fish seeing a lure with a lure on leader with a
swivel/snap will think that the lure is "chasing" the rest of the
hardware, I mean - this is a fish, not a PhD student from MIT, I am
trying to catch - I am really mistaken here?

I use a snap swivel almost all the time. Those fish out there are predators.
They attack things that trigger some signal that says "eat that". If they
will attack a metal spoon, they will not be put off by a little extra metal.
I know that some will argue with that. Don't bother. I have discussed this
with several fish that I have landed and they agree with me.

On one hand, my only fishing book (-: unsurprizingly and adequately
called "Fishing for Dummies" :-) says that "some anglers use snaps for
changing lures or baits as well. This technique is a lazy person's way
out, and is definitely NOT the way to get the best action out of your
lure" while, on the other hand, local fishermen had told me that this
is simply "techno-snobism from purists" (and quote here). What do you
think?
PS: please let me know if I should maybe get another type of spoon/lure!

When you are out there fishing and some one is catching and you are not,
just go up to the guy or gal and after you say "Hi" ask " What are they
hitting today?" 99% of the folks out there will be happy to help.

Best of luck.

Charlie

Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:36 PM

Charlie Bress wrote:
When you are out there fishing and some one is catching and you are

not,
just go up to the guy or gal and after you say "Hi" ask " What are

they
hitting today?" 99% of the folks out there will be happy to help.

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the advice. The only problem over here (in the New Smyrna
Beach, Volusia County, area) is that 99.99999% of the people fishing in
the surf are using live bait whereas I am *only* interested in using
artificial lures (I probably dont' want to troll here explaining why).

Most books are about bass fishing or fly fishing and most people use
some kind of boats. Fishing with artificials, from the beach with a 6
foot spinning rod does not seem very popular around here :-((

I have also been looking for anyone willing to show me how to fish in
the Intercoastal River, but the prices are simply beyond my means: they
are all one day boat charters, and nobody seems to be giving lessons
from the river banks, fishing piers, docks, etc.

Lastly, I try fishing off my kayak, which very few people seem to be
doing around here either. So again - I do trial and error - most of
which seems to be in the "error" category judging by the meager results
(although the weather here has been so cold and windy that this might
(maybe) explain why fish are not too tempted by my clumsy efforts...)

Pretty much everybody here is on boats with live bait whether on the
StJohns River, the Intercoastal River, the docks or the beach.

Anyway - while I still enjoy myself tremendously every time (-: yes, it
is called "fishing" not "catching" :-) making all the newbie's first
steps without much advice is not easy... [sigh]

Any ideas?

Cheers,

TN

Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:55 PM

if you try the soft plastics in various sizes from your kayak, you will
do ok with
your 6 ft rod.

problem from the surf down there is that you need to find structure and
cuts, I don't know
your area specifically but from Jacksonville down through St.
Augustine, the regular
ocean front is flat making it very tough for artificials because you
can't place the
lure in a good feeding lane.

the other thing for trout/weakies/specs or whatever you know them by,
early
morning (meaning first light) is best in the shallows. And they
typically need to
be ambushed by some structure unless you are just going to drift and
jig.

with a kayak, there is no reason why you can't fish the backwaters and
hit
some fish. for flyfishing try rec.outdoors.fishing.fly for some
suggestions.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:57 AM
Calif Bill

Here on the Pacific Coast, we use short spinners and small grubs for surf
perch. They run up to 3#. You do not cast out that far.
Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old March 4th, 2005, 12:00 AM

Calif Bill wrote:
Here on the Pacific Coast, we use short spinners and small grubs for

surf
perch. They run up to 3#. You do not cast out that far.
Bill

a guy in a shop around here reccommended to me the following lures for
surf fishing:

1) Nemire Red Ripper Lure (silver color)
2) Nemire Spoon Buzzer Sr 5/8 ounce lure

Any opinions on these two?

Thanks!

Old March 4th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Calif Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...
Calif Bill wrote:
Here on the Pacific Coast, we use short spinners and small grubs for

surf
perch. They run up to 3#. You do not cast out that far.
Bill

a guy in a shop around here reccommended to me the following lures for
surf fishing:

1) Nemire Red Ripper Lure (silver color)
2) Nemire Spoon Buzzer Sr 5/8 ounce lure

Any opinions on these two?

Thanks!

Not familiar with either one.
Bill