hooks

Old November 10th, 2003, 08:14 PM
gary gilman

Default hooks

Is it just personal preferance between the 3906b and the 9671 mustads? I'd
use them for nymphs.

Most I see are on the 9671's , but I like the looks of the bend on the
3906b's.

Old November 10th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Wolfgang

"gary gilman" wrote in message
nk.net...
Is it just personal preferance between the 3906b and the 9671

mustads? I'd
use them for nymphs.

Most I see are on the 9671's , but I like the looks of the bend on

the
3906b's.

Purely a matter of personal preference, unless you want to copy some
"classic" pattern exactly. I generally use the 3906b for nymphs, and
the 9671 and 9672 for wets and streamers.

Wolfgang

Old November 11th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Bill Kiene

Default hooks -mostly serious

Hi Gary,

Not to be disrespectful, but first, what is the year on your calendar? or
what state are you in? seriously now..................

I know that California is about 20 years ahead of some other states, but my
customers quite buying the old Mustad hooks about 10 years ago??????????????

I think the last year we had them, we sold 11 boxes totally. I sold Mustad
hooks sense 1965 and they died for us in the 1990s.

Ever hear of Japanese hooks? Hell, out here we can't even sell a fly if it
is not on a Japanese hook? Hell, all them tobacco chewen' bass guys use
Japanese hooks. The guys driften' roe on the coastal rivers have been using
Japanese hooks for years too. I thought fly fisherman were suppose to be
more educated and real smart? Why would you use a hook that is produced with
100 year old technology?

Sadly I watched those Japanese kick Mustad's and Eagle Claw's butts because
they thought they had the US fly hook market. Now they are trying to play
catch up and I think it is too late.

Now this is the fly fishing customers in CA doing this if you are planning
on a big frontal attack.

I just am try to stay up with were it is going so I can be in business for 4
more years.

(this ought to be good)

duck, incoming..............

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

Old November 11th, 2003, 07:45 AM
steve

BILL, What do you think of the adg titanium fly pole? Its supposed to
be better than a orvis s3
Old November 11th, 2003, 02:15 PM
rw

Bill Kiene wrote:

Why would you use a hook that is produced with
100 year old technology?

Or a fly rod, for that matter. :-)

Fortenberry says that someone he knows, who is easily the best
flyfishman in Montana and New Zealand combined, only uses Mustad hooks
because the cheesy Japanese hooks are so weak that they bend and cause
pullouts. So that settles that. Please pay attention, Bill. :-)

Old November 11th, 2003, 03:20 PM
bruiser

I have also ripped Mustads on this forum before, but it's a good thing that
my mint flavored shoes were on my feet that day.

The Mustad Signature hooks are really pretty nice.

Ahem,

bruce h

Old November 11th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Chas Wade

rw wrote:
Bill Kiene wrote:

Why would you use a hook that is produced with
100 year old technology?

Or a fly rod, for that matter. :-)

Fortenberry says that someone he knows, who is easily the best
flyfishman in Montana and New Zealand combined, only uses Mustad hooks
because the cheesy Japanese hooks are so weak that they bend and cause
pullouts. So that settles that. Please pay attention, Bill. :-)

Nice one. One man tosses the match, the next fans the flames. My only
concern is that I may be standing too close if the wind comes up.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html

Old November 11th, 2003, 11:55 PM
B J Conner

The last time the hook subject came up here I took a dozen each of Timeco,
Mustad, Eagle Claw and some old Herters hooks and tested them. They were
all # 12 dry fly hooks. The test used a two lb cannon ball weigh, 2'0" of
30 lb steel leader material, I set the hook points in a piece of nylon
clamped to the edge of a table. The eyeys were pointed down over the edge of
the table. Dropping the weight would make for a lound ping, a thud when it
hit the floor and a straghtened out hook. Did not break one hook , they
all straightened out. I had pictures of all of them but there lost in the
harddrive at the moment.
I could try it again with a slow pull and develope a stress -strain type
diagram , but I sure the answere to hook pricing is that some people like
to pay more for some things
. ..

Old November 12th, 2003, 12:19 AM
George Cleveland

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:55:26 GMT, "B J Conner" wrote:

The last time the hook subject came up here I took a dozen each of Timeco,
Mustad, Eagle Claw and some old Herters hooks and tested them. They were
all # 12 dry fly hooks. The test used a two lb cannon ball weigh, 2'0" of
30 lb steel leader material, I set the hook points in a piece of nylon
clamped to the edge of a table. The eyeys were pointed down over the edge of
the table. Dropping the weight would make for a lound ping, a thud when it
hit the floor and a straghtened out hook. Did not break one hook , they
all straightened out. I had pictures of all of them but there lost in the
harddrive at the moment.
I could try it again with a slow pull and develope a stress -strain type
diagram , but I sure the answere to hook pricing is that some people like
to pay more for some things

My experience is this. Last year I just happened to run out of or very short of
most of my wet fly hooks. I had been using Mustads, many of them Mustad
Accupoints, their old high end hook. I replaced them with Dai Rikis and some
clearanced Tiemcos. My purely annecdotal experience with the Asian hooks is
that I don't like them as much as my old Mustads. My hooking percentage seemed
to be way down. Fish after fish would throw the hook. Of course I always ran a
diamond file along the old Mustads, something I only occasionally did with the
Far Eastern hooks. Being cheap, I'll use up the Asian hooks, being sure to
sharpen each one, but next purchase will probably be Signature Mustads or some
old AC Mustads if I can find them. I'm also going to check out the Eagle Claw
Laserpoints that Cabela sells. I have a couple packs of their streamer hooks
that I'm very impressed with.

g.c.
Old November 12th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Willi

B J Conner wrote:

I could try it again with a slow pull and develope a stress -strain type
diagram , but I sure the answere to hook pricing is that some people like
to pay more for some things

There's no question in my mind that chemically sharpened hooks are MUCH
sharper than the "standard" Mustads. I think that the "standard" Mustads
work fine in the medium sizes, 12 to 16 but when you get larger or
smaller, I see a big difference between them and the Japanese chemically
sharpened hooks. (I haven't tried the Accupoint or other chemically
sharpened Mustads). IMO, in the smaller sizes the "standard" Mustads
are too gross, are brittle and break easily as well as not being as
sharp. In the larger sizes the difference in sharpness is pronounced.

PS There are some cheaper chemically sharpened Japanese hooks are. Some
are as low as $5 to 7 a hundred. They're just about as good as Tiemcos
but they lack the range of different styles.

Willi