The Iron Hypothesis was formulated by oceanographer John Martin,/This looks like the answer to global warming , why dont they run with it ???perhaps not enough profit ??

Old November 21st, 2007, 12:02 PM posted to alt.fishing
kangarooistan

Default The Iron Hypothesis was formulated by oceanographer John Martin,/This looks like the answer to global warming , why dont they run with it ???perhaps not enough profit ??

- iron hypothesis , I wonder why he was dead a few months after he
released his ideas ??

Iron Hypothesis -
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Iron Hypothesis was formulated by oceanographer John Martin, based
on theories by Joseph Hart and first tested in 1993 and may be a long
term solution ...
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Hypothesis -

Planktos, Inc., is a for profit private company selling carbon
geosequestration,

I dont think they will make money , but it seems they are both doing
it and proving that it does indeed work well

How much it costs remains to be seen
kanga
=====

Planktos, Inc. is a for-profit ecorestoration company based in San
Francisco with offices in the European Union and British Columbia. Our
primary focus is to restore damaged habitats in the ocean and on land.
Through iron-stimulated plankton blooms in the oceans and
afforestation projects in Europe, we are able to generate carbon
credits. We then sell these offsets to individuals and businesses that
are looking to reduce their carbon footprint and lower their impact on
climate change. The profits from the sale of these carbon credits
finance further ecosystem restoration projects.

Plankton and trees both capture CO2 through photosynthesis and store
the carbon in their tissues. This sequestration of carbon helps reduce
global warming, one of the greatest crises facing humanity and Mother
Nature today.

At Sea

At sea, Planktos uses a process called iron replenishment to restore
declining plankton growth in the open seas. We revive plankton
populations by adding iron dust to the ocean. Iron is a critical
micronutrient needed by plankton for photosynthesis. It normally
reaches the oceans in wind-borne iron-rich dust from arid lands, but
that dust supply has fallen 30% over the past 30 years, resulting in a
10% decline in plankton populations since the late 1970s. Extensive
research projects have shown that adding tiny amounts of iron can
powerfully regenerate plankton growth. Stimulating plankton blooms not
only captures global warming CO2, but also restores ocean ecosystems,
as plankton is the base of the food chain.

On Land

On land, Planktos' subsidiary KlimaFa, Ltd. is working to restore
forests in the European Union. Over the next decade KlimaFa will
restore upwards of 100,000 hectares of Hungarian lands to native mixed
forests. These forests will regenerate the ancient forest grandeur and
environmental health of Hungary and will be incorporated into the
Hungarian National Park System as strictly protected lands.

Current

In 2007, Planktos will begin plankton restoration by replenishing
forest-sized areas of ocean with natural iron-rich dust, just as
Mother Nature does. This will regenerate vast plankton blooms that
will not only pull large quantities of CO2 from the air, but will also
nourish collapsing fisheries, buffer ocean acidity, and produce
saleable carbon credits for emerging environmental markets.

Currently, KlimaFa is working with Hungary's federal government,
National Park Service, and Academy of Sciences to conduct a scientific
and business feasibility study. This demonstration project will
pioneer indigenous species climate forestry.
Planktos, Inc.
An older post that may be usefull , but outdated IMHO
kanga
=====

Newsgroups: sci.environment, alt.global-warming
From: "H. E. Taylor"
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:36:37 -0700
Subject: Recent work on the Iron hypothesis
Greetings,
Here is an interesting quote from the _Phytoplankton may
stimulate
uptake of CO2_ article.

"There are so many repercussions that we can't foresee," said
Hales.
"This is a very expensive and uncertain way of going after an
issue
that is not fully understood. For example, in the process of
gathering
up iron and steaming out to sea, you would burn up more fossil
fuel
than you would compensate for in the result."
regards
-het

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0416015016.htm
2004/04/19: SciDaily: Robotic Floats Shed New Light On Iron Hypothesis

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-eoo041604.php
2004/04/16: Eureka: Effects of ocean fertilization with iron to remove
carbon dioxide from the
atmosphere reported

http://www.mlml.calstate.edu/news/newsdetail.php?id=34
2004/04/15: CalState: Moss Landing researchers reveal iron as key to
climate change

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-mlr041504.php
2004/04/15: Eureka: Moss Landing researchers reveal iron as key to
climate change

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-rfs040704.php
2004/04/15: Eureka: Robotic floats shed new light on the iron
hypothesis

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-pms041304.php
2004/04/15: Eureka: Phytoplankton may stimulate uptake of CO2

http://www.nature.com/nsu/040119/040119-17.html
2004/01/26: NSU: Climate test sets sail - Will throwing iron in the
ocean help stop global
warming?

And an old one...

http://oceanography.palomar.edu/iron.htm
1996//: Palomar: The Iron Hypothesis

--
"No global warming? You may be right;
but why are the glaciers melting?" -stolen .sig

Global Warming: http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/globalwarming.html
H.E. Taylor http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/
================================================== =================================================
Iron dust has blown into the sea for billions of years all along the
south and eastern coast of Australia , and it has not harmed
anything , see Great Barrier Reeef and huge cliffs of limestone 300
feet high in the Great Australian Bight , they get iron dust every
year for several billion years

Iron dust from Australia at times reaches New Zealand

Huge sharks and Huge whales and coral all seem to benifit from iron
dust

Its like a natural experiment , that has lasted for several billion
years and it DOES store carbon from the air , in coral and limstone

kkanga
=====

A few photos of Iron dust country that may be of some interest , not
all related to climate change
-Why do they call it Nullabor plain ?

http://www.cpepping.net.au/a.%20Hele...llabor_1_4.jpg
http://wilderness.esmartweb.com/Aust...arborplain.jpg
I think this bloke is lost , took a wrong turn at sydney
http://www.corriere.it/Media/Foto/20.../fdg/VOLVO.jpg

http://www.goworldtravel.com/mar05/A...-The-Nulla.jpg

Rolling dust storm moving across the Nullabor
http://www.aamotorhomes.com.au/photo.../gallery01.jpg

http://www.richardandjo.com/images/roadsign.jpg

Iron mining south Australia
http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,740898,00.jpg
http://www.whyalla.com/webdata/resou.../iron_knob.jpg

Fishing ?
http://www.fowlersbay.com/photos/hist_township.jpg
http://i2.zvhost.com/2/n/n1afin20.jpg
http://www.sportfishingscene.com.au/...Mik_Yalata.jpg
http://www.westernangler.com.au/foru...E0DE20E4CAFB9C...
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200706/r151545_540416.jpg
http://www.harlow.net.au/GBTrek2003/...awn_boats_Port...
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200707/r161111_590062.jpg
http://www.ceduna.net/webdata/resour...ail-Small1.jpg
http://www.smallguide.com.au/images/sa14.jpg
*
great white sharks NOT photoshopped
http://www.abc.net.au/eyre/stories/m1104086.jpg
http://www.news.com.au/common/imaged...5489488,00.jpg
http://www.sharkattackphotos.com/Images/Rodfox2.jpg
*

Aboriginal lands yalata
http://eied.deh.gov.au/indigenous/ip...yalata-map.jpg

http://www.samuseum.sa.gov.au/aacg/s.../05_images/05_...

SIMPSON DESERT
http://www.australian-4x4.com.au/ima...son-desert.JPG
http://www.cameltreks.com.au/images/...ripes-1_ed.jpg
http://www.simpsondesert.fl.net.au/i...ns/jbm1900.jpg
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/images/Nick-2.jpg
http://www.nasm.si.edu/ceps/r
*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*
If anybody thinks iron is in any amount harmfull to the marine
environment they need to explain the massive amount of life around the
largest iron deposits on earth , and why iron is approved as a food
for man

Indeed it clear that all countries will very soon discover they too
can add iron to their own water real easy

kanga
=====
Ningaloo Reef
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Ningaloo Reef is a fringing coral reef located off the west coast of
Australia, approximately 1200 km north of Perth. The reef is 280 km
long.

It is known for its seasonal feeding concentrations of the whale
shark, and the conservation debate surrounding its potential tourism
development.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Species of Ningaloo Reef
* 2 Conservation controversy
* 3 Ningaloo Collaborative Research Cluster
* 4 External links
* 5 References

[edit] Species of Ningaloo Reef
A Manta ray with remoras at Ningaloo Reef
A Manta ray with remoras at Ningaloo Reef
A Whale shark at Ningaloo Reef
A Whale shark at Ningaloo Reef

Although most famed for its whale sharks which feed there during March
and April, the reef is also rich in coral and other marine life.
During the winter months, the reef is part of the migratory routes for
dolphins, dugongs, manta rays and humpback whales.[1] The beaches of
the reef are an important breeding ground of the loggerhead, green and
hawksbill turtles. They also depend on the reef for nesting and food.
The Ningaloo supports an abundance of fish (500 species), corals (300
species), molluscs (600 species) and many other marine invertebrate.
The reef is less the half a kilometre offshore in some spots

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The scientists claim sea algae grows in a few days so if you know any
country who wants to run a test for a few years contact kanga and iI
will help organise some real nice iron dust for free if you need it ,
it will cost you for transport , but I know where there is millions of
tons and the Aboriginal owners would happily supply enough for a
test , hundreds of tons if you need it , this is a totally safe test ,
and its cheap and its natural , and its how nature stores carbon as
limestone or coral

CONTACT kanga if you need iron dust , free , cost of transport can be
arranged at cost

At least think about it , I actually think this is going to work , the
experts wont be happy cos its real easy , ask your fishermen to spread
it as they go out empty , or release it from a beach neare your town
and see if it increases fish , I suspect all life will increase in
months , but you will need somebody to run the test

kanga
Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:31 PM posted to alt.fishing
kangarooistan

On Nov 21, 8:46 pm, kangarooistan wrote:
[...]

Ningaloo Reef in Western australia adjacent massive Iron ore mining
Areas
http://www.ningaloo.com/exmouth/images/ExmouthWAMap.jpg
Whale sharks galore
http://www.resurgence.org/resurgence...s/mabey220.jpg
Coral reefs galore
http://www.colonialvoyage.com/viaggi/austra7.jpg
Fish galore
http://www.downunder-dago.com/docs/i...er/tauchen-nin...
Naturally beautiful coastline
http://www.australia-travelteam.com/...eutschbustoure...

In the center of a vast area of iron country run off and dust
http://ningalooblue.com/wp-content/u...xmouth-500.jpg
http://www.sbdc.com.au/gowest/conten...egion-map-larg...

Old November 22nd, 2007, 01:49 PM posted to alt.fishing
Rodney Long

kangarooistan wrote:

The scientists claim sea algae grows in a few days so if you know any
country who wants to run a test for a few years contact kanga and iI
will help organise some real nice iron dust for free if you need it ,
it will cost you for transport , but I know where there is millions of
tons and the Aboriginal owners would happily supply enough for a
test , hundreds of tons if you need it , this is a totally safe test ,
and its cheap and its natural , and its how nature stores carbon as
limestone or coral

Before I left U.S. Steel, I came up with a simple "cheap" method to turn
Iron dust into steel (use it like regular iron ore in a blast furnace,
something no one has ever been able to do, because the dust just gets
blown out of the furnace).

Of course U.S. Steel has kept a lid on this for 10 years, I would be
willing to share this now with any company or country.
--
SpecTastic Wiggle Rig,
Fishing lure remote control
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:14 AM posted to alt.fishing
kangarooistan[_2_]

On Nov 22, 10:49 pm, Rodney Long wrote:
kangarooistan wrote:
[...]

Many good ideas take decades to find acceptance

especally if it upsets a very profitable established enterprise , its
likely to be attacked to protect vested interest

good luck , stick too it , if its any good it will take off
eventually, but not if is upsetting the big boys

kanga
=====

What could be more natural

Where are the risks in doing it natures way ??

kanga
====
Iron touted as tonic for climate-saving plankton - ABC News ...
The theory of iron enrichment was proposed 25 years ago. ... must be
done to counter global warming, and that cutting pollution levels is
no longer enough. ...
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...20/2095575.htm -

PHOTOS = evidence ?????
In the center of a vast area of iron country run off and dust
http://ningalooblue.com/wp-content/u...xmouth-500.jpg
Dust map with detail of wind direction and amount of dust
http://yellow.metri.re.kr/images/pic_australia.jpg
Dust storm in Iraq
http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/en...st_storm_in_ir...
Moomba australia dust storm
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200707/r161503_592182.jpg
http://www.abc.net.au/news/photos/20...19/1983115.htm
http://www.tribal-software.com/images/dustorm.jpg
Great Barrier reef gets heaps of red dust
http://www.stormchasers.au.com/Oct02/dust102301.jpg
http://www.migrationheritage.nsw.gov...ringthelode/im...

23k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this
- Iron brew to douse global warming?
There is a theory that fertilizing the oceans with iron to increase
the amount of ... single-celled plants that live there may help to
fight global warming. ...
www.nature.com/nsu/990826/990826-3.html - Similar pages - Note this
Global Warming: Iron Sulfate Dumped Into Sea May Slow Global ...
In an effort to slow down the effects of global warming, scientists
from Germany, Italy, India and Chile are planning to dump 20 tonnes of
non-toxic iron ...
gizmodo.com/gadgets/global-warming/iron-sulfate-dumped-into-sea-may-
slow-global-warming-or-do-completely-... - 72k - Cached - Similar
pages - Note this
Study Challenges Idea of Seeding Oceans With Iron to Curb Global ...
Study Challenges Idea of Seeding Oceans With Iron to Curb Global
Warming ... a scientist named John Martin proposed a theory known as
the "Iron Hypothesis," ...
news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/01/0108_020108oceaniron.html -
26k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this
Foreign Policy In Focus | Global Warming: The Quick Fix Is In
The notion of a technological fix for global warming isn't new. .....
But the iron theory backfired when a large amount of fish died. ...
www.fpif.org/fpiftxt/4006 - 57k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this
Wired 8.11: Dumping Iron
Dumping Iron. Ecohacker Michael Markels claims he has a megafix for
global warming: Supercharge the growth of ocean plankton with vitamin
Fe and let a ...
www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.11/ecohacking.html - 52k - Cached -
Similar pages - Note this
Ocean Rescue / Planktos Foundation hopes to reduce global warming ...
Recent data has confirmed Martin's theory. Tiny specks of iron, rare
in noncoastal oceans, .... "That means we're still going to get global
warming. ...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...002/05/22/plnk...
- 55k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this
Greenhouse theory smashed by biggest stone
A new theory to explain global warming was revealed at a meeting at
the University ... the Earth's surface would be 'held fast in the iron
grip of frost'. ...
www.physorg.com/news11710.html - 24k - Cached - Similar pages - Note
this
Orts: Global Warming is Good -- The HAB Theory
I have not found a compelling reason to disbelieve the HAB Theory,
thus the title of this post. Global warming may be all that's enabling
civilization to ...
indexme.blogspot.com/2007/05/global-warming-is-good-hab-theory.html -
73k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this