Interesting site, and it's almost on-topic

Old May 13th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Conan The Librarian

Default Interesting site, and it's almost on-topic

ROFFians,

After reading Ken's most recent post about his trip to NC and seeing
the pics, I did a little search on Bunches Creek to try to find out more
about it. In the process, I ran across a very cool U of Tenn site that
has a wonderful collection of digitized images of the Smokies and
surrounding area. They are all the work of one photographer (an
amateur?!), and most were taken between the thirties and the fifties.

Go to: http://makeashorterlink.com/?E3625121B and click on "Browse
all images" if you're interested. (FWIW, I got an error message the
first time I tried to access if via Make a shorter link, but the second
time it worked fine. If it doesn't work, let me know if you;re
interested and I'll post the full url, but it's a *long* one.)

Enjoy.

Chuck Vance (doin' that researchin' thang)
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:55 PM
William Claspy

On 5/13/05 9:25 AM, in article , "Conan The
Librarian" wrote:

Chuck Vance (doin' that researchin' thang)

And he's a professional, folks. Don't try this at home.

:-)

Bill

Old May 13th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Wayne Harrison

"Conan The Librarian" wrote

In the process, I ran across a very cool U of Tenn site

while the rational use of "very cool" and "u of tenn" in the same sentence
is a pragmatic impossibility, i would like to see the images. do i have to
register as an "approved researcher", as the site suggests?

yfitons
wayno

Old May 13th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Conan The Librarian

Librarian" wrote:

Chuck Vance (doin' that researchin' thang)

And he's a professional, folks. Don't try this at home.

You know, for a librarian, you're a pretty funny guy. :-)

FWIW, I found Bunches Creek. Looks like it's one of the brookie
waters that re-opened in 2002. (I won't post the coordinates, but I
think I've found almost exactly where Ken would have been fishing; i.e.,
near the headwaters.)

Chuck Vance (it might be another one to add to my list for June)
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Conan The Librarian

Wayne Harrison wrote:

"Conan The Librarian" wrote

In the process, I ran across a very cool U of Tenn site

while the rational use of "very cool" and "u of tenn" in the same sentence
is a pragmatic impossibility, i would like to see the images. do i have to
register as an "approved researcher", as the site suggests?

Hmmm ... I didn't have to do anything except re-load the page to get
at it. I don't know if that's because I'm coming from an ".edu" site or
not. Did you try simply re-loading or clicking again on the link?

Chuck Vance
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Tim J.

Conan The Librarian wrote:
Wayne Harrison wrote:

"Conan The Librarian" wrote

In the process, I ran across a very cool U of Tenn site

while the rational use of "very cool" and "u of tenn" in the same
sentence is a pragmatic impossibility, i would like to see the
images. do i have to register as an "approved researcher", as the
site suggests?

Hmmm ... I didn't have to do anything except re-load the page to
get at it. I don't know if that's because I'm coming from an ".edu"
site or not. Did you try simply re-loading or clicking again on the
link?

You know, it's bad enough that you're a beer snob, but now you're a site
snob, too. ;-) I have the same problem as wayno. . . no, not THAT one!

Here's what I get:
------------
None of the requested collections are authorized to this user.
Login for access here
or contact the database administrator.
------------
--
TL,
Tim

Old May 13th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Conan The Librarian

Tim J. wrote:

You know, it's bad enough that you're a beer snob, but now you're a site
snob, too. ;-)

Heh. That's *Mr.* DYBS to you, son. ;-)

I have the same problem as wayno. . . no, not THAT one!

Here's what I get:
------------
None of the requested collections are authorized to this user.
Login for access here
or contact the database administrator.
------------

That's what I got when I first clicked the Make A Shorter Link url,
but then I just backed out and clicked it again and had no problems.

Try going he http://www.lib.utk.edu/refs/smokies/digcoll.html and
clicking on the Albert "Dutch" Roth collection. Then click on "All
images", and see if that works.

Chuck Vance (maybe there is something to being a DYBS afterall)
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Charlie Choc

On Fri, 13 May 2005 11:54:44 -0500, Conan The Librarian
wrote:

Try going he http://www.lib.utk.edu/refs/smokies/digcoll.html and
clicking on the Albert "Dutch" Roth collection. Then click on "All
images", and see if that works.

Worked for me. Nice find, thanks.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Jeff Taylor

wrote:

Try going he http://www.lib.utk.edu/refs/smokies/digcoll.html and
clicking on the Albert "Dutch" Roth collection. Then click on "All
images", and see if that works.

Worked for me. Nice find, thanks.

Same here... I click the first link that took me to make a shorter link, I
clicked that link and was taken to the site.

Very cool photo's!

Thanks,
JT

Old May 13th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Tim J.

Conan The Librarian wrote:
Tim J. wrote:

You know, it's bad enough that you're a beer snob, but now you're a
site snob, too. ;-)

Heh. That's *Mr.* DYBS to you, son. ;-)

I have the same problem as wayno. . . no, not THAT one!

Here's what I get:
------------
None of the requested collections are authorized to this user.
Login for access here
or contact the database administrator.
------------

That's what I got when I first clicked the Make A Shorter Link
url, but then I just backed out and clicked it again and had no
problems.

Try going he http://www.lib.utk.edu/refs/smokies/digcoll.html
and clicking on the Albert "Dutch" Roth collection. Then click on
"All images", and see if that works.

Much better, but you really should have said something like, "They have
a character filter running on the site, so if you have low moral
character you may not be able to view it." You're new to this site snob
business, aren't you? ;-)

Very nice site. I'll have to go back and view more closely later. Right
now my WastedTimeAtWork-O-Meter is pegged just by reading roff.
--
TL,
Tim