Thumb protector?

Old September 23rd, 2003, 03:04 AM
Calif Bill

Default Thumb protector?

Get "Flex Wrap" and just wrap your thumb.
Bill

"LD" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thanks Ray, I'll try these places.
The one's I've seen have a metal piece, like a conveyor belt splicing end.
Otherwise I could make one.
I want one because, modern or not, the Penns #'s 209, 309, 113H and the
Newell 540 that we use for trolling "near shore" or out to 12-15mi in the
Gulf are sometimes quickly changed to a bottom fish rig. Sometimes a #9

or
209 is quickly changed to a "baitcast" rig. In both of those cases the
thumb can get HOT trying to prevent a backlash. I started out fishing in
the early 50's, in Galveston Bay with a Shakespeare Direct Drive on a True
Temper steel rod where the thumb was (and still is) the only means of
stopping the reel once the cast was achieved. (Backlashes were not
uncommon, usually because the pain in the thumb necessitated removing it
from the spinning spool of braided line).

Thanks Guys, for the input.
LD

Old September 23rd, 2003, 10:18 PM
John Benson

You put it on your thumb when surf casting with a conventional reel and a
heavy weight or lure. It lets you hold the spool until you want to release
it during the cast and also lets you feather the line without burning your
thumb.
"Fred L Adams" wrote in message
The nthumb protectors on antique reels are because they have no "drags",

Why
would anybody want one on a modern reel?
Fred

"Ray" wrote in message
I know most of the tackle shops on the Outer Banks (NC) sell them.. both
thumb as well as index ones.. they usually are very cheap .. about a

buck..
the last time I bought a few earlier this summer they were .99 cents

each..

try these places on the lower Outer Banks .. they definitely have

them...

Frank & Frans Tackle, Avon, NC .. http://www.hatteras-island.com/
Red Drum Tackle Buxton, NC... http://www.reddrumtackle.com
Frisco Rod and Gun Frisco, NC... http://www.friscorodgun.com/

LD wrote:
I've seen a leather flap that protects your thumb on several old
conventional reels and would like to get one but can't seem to locate.

have a few small Penns and a 540 Newell. Any suggestions on where to

find?
LD