Fish for Tuna in Gulf

Old April 9th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Habda

Default Fish for Tuna in Gulf

Hello,

I'd like to try fishing for some Tuna in the Gulf of Mexico. I generally set
in at Sabine Lake (Just East of Houston, Tx.) and zip out to the gulf from
there. Boat is a Wellcraft 18'fisherman (Bay Boat) w/ 140hp Johnson So I
cannot go TOO far out!

What kind of bait would I use? Are the rigs a good place to fish for them?
I'd appreciate specifics if its possible

I'd LOVE to hear your tips on catching Tuna... I have heard that they bite
better during a new moon? Any truth to that?

Thanks!

Old April 9th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Wag

Try going to www.rodnreel.com and post this question on their offshore
fishing forum. There are plenty tuba fisherman that might be able to help
you.

Sarge

Old April 9th, 2004, 02:25 PM
John Gaquin

......There are plenty tuba fisherman that might be able to help
you.

Must be hard to get the valves working again after you boat the sucker!

Old April 9th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Ron White

For that area of the northern gulf you will need to go out about 100 nm give
or take a few. You may not find type of trip well suited to your boat. About
the only place in the northern gulf where the 100 fathom curve is relatively
close to shore is out of the mouth of the Mississippi river out of the port
of Venice LA. In Venice the curve is more like 12-14 nm out of the river
but this is after a 20 nm trip down the river. However fuel is available at
a marina just at the mouth of the river ( Port Eads). You may want ot look
into chartering a boat that regularly fishes the area you mentioned.
Catch'm up!

--
Ron White
Boat building web address is

Old April 10th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Habda

Hi,

I appreciate your reply!

I don't understand what you mean by the curve.... I assume that you are
referring to a geographic region that Tuna typically are found. I just
thought that they might be fun to fish for.

Old April 10th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Eric Miller

What he was telling you is that in order to find water of the appropriate
depth for tuna out of Sabine Pass, you will have to travel about 100 miles.
If you launch in Venice, you can go down river for about 20 miles to the
mouth and then find deep water (100 fathoms) about 12-14 miles out.

Realistically, you are not going to catch tuna in an 18' bay boat launching
out of Sabine Pass without risking your life. In mid-summer, you may find
Red Snapper, Amberjack, King Mackerel, Dolphin and quite a few other species
around the rigs in 60 feet of water, but even for that depth, you will have
to run a long way for a bay boat.

Eric Miller