AT&T is dropping USENET...

Old June 11th, 2009, 05:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default AT&T is dropping USENET...

The AT&T news server farm is shutting down "about July 15th." For those unlucky
enough to have to deal with AT&T motzarella.org provides free text-only
newsgroups for those who want to use a newsclient rather than Google Groups,
etc.

And as an aside, this is just one more example of why AT&T sucks...and now, the
Obama Administration is tapping none other than Mr. "I don't know nuthin' 'bout
makin' no cars." Ed half-Whitacre, Jr. to - are you ready? - fix GM...

Sheesh,
....but on the, um, "positive" side, he's got a rosy outlook - "If I can royally
screw folks with telecom, surely I can do it with automotive...why, shucks, I'll
have this company back to ****ing its vict...er, 'customers' faster than you can
say 'Yugo'..."

Old June 11th, 2009, 10:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Calif Bill[_2_]

wrote in message
[...]

ATT has just installed fiber in the neighborhood. Guy come by yesterday to
inform me of this, and maybe I would like DSL from them. Get Fiber for DSL.
He did not know about newsgroups or dropping them. Informed him to make a
note that no way would I go with such a 1/2 assed concern. Had to tell him
newsgroups were the internet before the web.

Old June 11th, 2009, 10:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jun 11, 11:57*am, wrote:
The AT&T news server farm is shutting down "about July 15th." *For those unlucky
enough to have to deal with AT&T motzarella.org provides free text-only
newsgroups for those who want to use a newsclient rather than Google Groups,
etc.

And as an aside, this is just one more example of why AT&T sucks...and now, the
Obama Administration is tapping none other than Mr. "I don't know nuthin' 'bout
makin' no cars." Ed half-Whitacre, Jr. to - are you ready? - fix GM...

Sheesh,
...but on the, um, "positive" side, he's got a rosy outlook - "If I can royally
screw folks with telecom, surely I can do it with automotive...why, shucks, I'll
have this company back to ****ing its vict...er, 'customers' faster than you can
say 'Yugo'..."

We were hoping that the brief hiatus in your presence here suggested
that you were busily repairing everything that Obama has ****ed up in
the last couple of hundred years.

Oh well.

Moron.

g.
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

I ran across this chart ranking top Usenet traffic by group in megabytes
through Gamma, a Russian ISP. It stuck me as funny:

http://news.gamma.ru/stats-today.html

Old June 11th, 2009, 10:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jun 11, 4:47*pm, rw wrote:
I ran across this chart ranking top Usenet traffic by group in megabytes
through Gamma, a Russian ISP. It stuck me as funny:

http://news.gamma.ru/stats-today.html

It ain't as funny as you posting it to a Usenet group you don't
read.

g.
the boy just WILL NOT learn!
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Giles wrote:
On Jun 11, 4:47 pm, rw wrote:

I ran across this chart ranking top Usenet traffic by group in megabytes
through Gamma, a Russian ISP. It stuck me as funny:

http://news.gamma.ru/stats-today.html

It ain't as funny as you posting it to a Usenet group you don't
read.

g.
the boy just WILL NOT learn!

Wolfgang? Is that you?

Old June 12th, 2009, 02:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:27:15 -0700 (PDT), Giles wrote:

On Jun 11, 11:57*am, wrote:
[...]

Nah, just living my life...you ought to try to get one - they're fun...

Oh well.

Moron.

g.

....another half-Wittacre heard from...

Sheesh,
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jun 11, 7:09*pm, rw wrote:
Giles wrote:
On Jun 11, 4:47 pm, rw wrote:

I ran across this chart ranking top Usenet traffic by group in megabytes
through Gamma, a Russian ISP. It stuck me as funny:

http://news.gamma.ru/stats-today.html

It ain't as funny as you posting it to a Usenet group you don't
read. * * *

g.
the boy just WILL NOT learn!

Wolfgang? Is that you?

Nope. It's not me.

g.
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

ATT has just installed fiber in the neighborhood. *Guy come by yesterday to
inform me of this, and maybe I would like DSL from them. *Get Fiber for DSL.
He did not know about newsgroups or dropping them. *Informed him to make a
note that no way would I go with such a 1/2 assed concern. *Had to tell him
newsgroups were the internet before the web.- Hide quoted text -

A DSL on fibre? That's like running a Yugo at Daytona.
Frank Reid
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Nearly all ISPs are dropping Usenet. This is a dead zone. Tits up. But
it will probably hang around a little while longer, so you and Wolfgang
(or Giles) and Fortenberry can continue to have your onanistic fun for a
while, at least.

Its rare that I have to look up a word. That's one that I didn't
really want to look up.
Frank Reid