Comments on Stren's braided line

Old January 9th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Jeff Durham

Default Comments on Stren's braided line

I started using PowerPro last year and so far, I really like. I have also
used Fire Line, but have not been as happy with that line (although, I don't
think there are many differences). My issue with Fire Line is probably more
the way it looks after a short time of usage and I cannot tell whether the
line is nicked or not. PowerPro seems to look better longer.

I am just curious if any of you PowerPro or Fire Line users have used
Stren's braided line and what comments you might have about it.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old January 9th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Illinois Fisherman

I have not tried the Stren, but I have used the Spiderwire Stealth. Spooled
up a spinning and baitcasting reel. It is a lot smoother casting - no little
ridges. Knot Holding seems as good as or equal to PowerPro. It's better in
my opinion than Spiderwire ever was. I noticed that it was also more limp
than PowerPro line is. I think they may have a winner. I have only been out
using it about ten times since I spooled up with it, but I am very pleased
with the product and the price so far.

Old January 10th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Thundercat

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 19:35:00 GMT, "Jeff Durham"
wrote:

I started using PowerPro last year and so far, I really like. I have also
used Fire Line, but have not been as happy with that line (although, I don't
think there are many differences). My issue with Fire Line is probably more
the way it looks after a short time of usage and I cannot tell whether the
line is nicked or not. PowerPro seems to look better longer.

I am just curious if any of you PowerPro or Fire Line users have used
Stren's braided line and what comments you might have about it.

Thanks,
Jeff

Finally a question I can answer!

Stren Super Braid and Power Pro are extremely similar. Stren uses the
same Spectra fiber that Power Pro uses. The difference is in the
number of strands in the braid. Power Pro is a 4 strand braid and the
Stren uses 6. The differences are very subtle. The stren holds color
just a bit longer and stays more "round" where PPro can "oval" over
time. When talking to a Stren rep (at the Cabela's grand opening in
PA) I asked specifically about the difference from PPro. He basically
said PPro is a great product and that's why they "copied" them for
their product. To quote: "If you are going to copy, you copy from the
best out there."

I am happy with both lines. The both cast great, have good abrasion
resistance and, of course, have the sensitivity that braid offers.

Harry J. aka Thundercat
Old January 10th, 2004, 03:46 AM
Illinois Fisherman

Have you noticed the amount of fuzz that comes off PPro and gets under your
reel on the seat as the season progresses.

Old January 10th, 2004, 04:25 AM
COOLLURES

"Illinois Fisherman" wrote in message
gy.com...
I have not tried the Stren, but I have used the Spiderwire Stealth.

Spooled
up a spinning and baitcasting reel. It is a lot smoother casting - no

little
ridges. Knot Holding seems as good as or equal to PowerPro. It's better in
my opinion than Spiderwire ever was. I noticed that it was also more limp
than PowerPro line is. I think they may have a winner. I have only been

out
using it about ten times since I spooled up with it, but I am very pleased
with the product and the price so far.

Agreed. The knots hold better, and is better than the original spiderwire.

Fireline IMO is total junk. I know people that swear by it, but After having
line break after line break (was not knot failure) I tossed it away within a
week.

--
COOL LURES
The Lures that put FISH on ICE!

Old January 10th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Huck Palmatier

....I've been trying the free spool of 30# Stealth I got last year and have
noticed that when a strand breaks, the line with gather up. I hold the line
between thumb and forefinger when worming and upon retrieving it bunches up
due to the frayed/broken strand. Never had any of the other "multi-lines" do
that....agree that feel, limpness and knot strength are good.
said Huck

Old January 10th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Thundercat

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 03:46:48 GMT, "Illinois Fisherman"
wrote:

Have you noticed the amount of fuzz that comes off PPro and gets under your
reel on the seat as the season progresses.

Yes I have. However, I am one of those weirdos that frequently removes
my reels and cleans the gunk from the reel seat, rod guides, levelwind
guide, etc.

I'll see how the Stren holds it's color this upcoming year.

TC-