Low Water Nose Cone - questins?

Old January 9th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Bob La Londe

Default Low Water Nose Cone - questins?

Anybody running a low water nose cone?

Did you get any improvement in performance?

Was it just from being able to raise the motor higher or did the lower
profile of the additional material help make any noticable difference at the
same level?

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old January 9th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Bob,

I run a shallow water lower unit on my boat, not just the nose cone. But, here is what I know about
the add-on units. That is what you're talking about, right?

You will get a small improvement in performance from the improved hydro-dynamic shape, if you run
the motor at the same level. Will it be noticeable "seat of the pants?" Probably not. Where you do
pick up performance is running the motor higher, creating less drag due to less lower unit in the
water.

One thing that I can see for your application is due to the shallow running that you do, less motor
in the water will be a good thing. Sometimes, an inch of motor height will be the difference
between sticking/striking the lower unit or running free. You should be able to punch up on plane
in shallower water too.

The units from Bob's Machine Shop have good reputations. Just make certain that you have a water
pressure gauge and you watch it all the time. Running a motor too high is a certain recipe for
disaster.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Old January 9th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Bob La Londe

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in message
[...]

I have water presure gage now. Since I'm running a hydraulic jack plate it
is already a necessity. Yes, Bob's Machine
www.bobsmachine.com out of
Florida is exacly what I was looking at.

My skeg is bent on the Mariner 200 on the Baker, so I figured why not make a
small performance mod at the same time that I have the skeg replaced. The
low water nose cone is only around $300 to install so why not.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old January 9th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Bob La Londe

A low water nose cone has water pickups on the bottom front of the nose cone
to force water into the cooling system. This allows you to lift the motor
further out of the water to reduce drag without overheating your engine from
inadequate cooling. Very common for speed boats. I am interested in it
from both a performance perspective, but also to run my engine further out
to clear sandbars and rocks in the river.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com
All about fishing in Yuma, Arizona
Promote Your Fishing Website FOR FREE

"PB" wrote in message
m...
What is a "low water nose cone"?

Old January 9th, 2004, 11:39 PM
RG

Bob, not specific to your question..but ... I recently changed out the
engine on my 14 Carolina Skiff. The Mercury installers in Illinois did NOT
understand the full effect of the set-back/tilt/trim CMC PT35 unit that I
had previously installed on the boat. The new Merc's anti-cavitation plate
was placed exactly at the bottom of the hull of the CS. My performance was
markedly poorer than I had experienced with the predecessor engine of the
same hp.

My local guys in Houston, (North Shore Marine) who know shallow water needs,
re-set the engine up about two inches to conform to the setback. Performance
improved markedly, Up on plane quickly; obviously shallower running and
floating allowed; better top end speed, etc. It seems like anything that we
can do ( within reason) to get the prop a little higher (assuming one has a
set-back plate), while maintaining its driving force IN the water, improved
my performance a lot.

RichG

Old January 9th, 2004, 11:56 PM
go-bassn

Bob - don't confuse the shallow-ability of this unit with that of a jet
drive. Your prop still must be submerged for it to work, meaning it's not
for navigating ultra-shallow waters. Especially rocky ones...

Warren

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
A low water nose cone has water pickups on the bottom front of the nose

cone
to force water into the cooling system. This allows you to lift the motor
further out of the water to reduce drag without overheating your engine

from
inadequate cooling. Very common for speed boats. I am interested in it
from both a performance perspective, but also to run my engine further out
to clear sandbars and rocks in the river.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com
All about fishing in Yuma, Arizona
Promote Your Fishing Website FOR FREE

"PB" wrote in message
m...
What is a "low water nose cone"?

Old January 10th, 2004, 12:17 AM
RichZ

I used to run a nose cone and low water pickups on one of my boats. In my
experience, unless you also go super-radical with the prop (small diameter,
over the hub exhaust, severe front hook, massive cup and minimal rake,
paper thin blade chopper which usually equates to a diminished hole shot
and questionable rough water performance) the advantages of a narow,
slippery lower unit are minimal. But with the right prop (and of course a
power jack plate) the combination can make for unbelievable top end
performance. But there's still a control trade-off. With only the bottom of
the prop and precious little skeg in the water, the boat really walks
sideways as it runs.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old January 10th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"go-bassn" wrote in message ...
Bob - don't confuse the shallow-ability of this unit with that of a jet
drive. Your prop still must be submerged for it to work, meaning it's not
for navigating ultra-shallow waters. Especially rocky ones...

Yeah, you're absolutely right, but you'd be amazed at the difference an extra couple of inches can
do for your "room to roam."