Q: Halibut fishing on the West of coast of Canada/South of Alaska

Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:24 PM
Rikard Stenberg

Default Q: Halibut fishing on the West of coast of Canada/South of Alaska

Hello all!
Me and a friend of mine might get the opportunity to fly from Europe to
Seattle, WA for free... One idea could be to fly over and drive up to
the West coast of Canada and spend some time fishing for halibut. I have
heard of great halibut fishing in Alaska but I guess it is a long drive
up to Alaska. Although we won't min a long scenic drive but not too
long.

We might spend 10-14 days in the area. Any hints and ideas? Does it
exist any really good spots to catch a halibut in this area, or do we
have to go up to Alaska and could one drive up there in, let's say three
or four days? Maybe we could fly back down to Seattle...

Thanks in advance!
/Rikard Stenberg
Lulea, Sweden
Old November 4th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Rikard Stenberg

Rodney wrote:

Rikard Stenberg wrote:

Hello all!
Me and a friend of mine might get the opportunity to fly from Europe to
Seattle, WA for free... One idea could be to fly over and drive up to
the West coast of Canada and spend some time fishing for halibut. I have
heard of great halibut fishing in Alaska but I guess it is a long drive
up to Alaska. Although we won't min a long scenic drive but not too
long.

We might spend 10-14 days in the area. Any hints and ideas? Does it
exist any really good spots to catch a halibut in this area, or do we
have to go up to Alaska and could one drive up there in, let's say three
or four days? Maybe we could fly back down to Seattle...

Man that's some trip, just to catch a flounder on steroids

Sure is, but I have been chasing after these critters over here for the
past 20 years, caught one (a small one, 4 lbs) and lost two or three
bigger. Might as well stop fishing for 'em here and go where they are
found :-)

/Rikard
Old November 5th, 2003, 06:46 AM
Calif Bill

"Rikard Stenberg" wrote in message
Rodney wrote:

Rikard Stenberg wrote:

[...]

Pacific Halibut (the kind you catch in Alaska) are from The Oregon /
California border to Alaska. Long drive from Seattle to Alaska! Probably 5
days each way. Depends on the time of year also. Winter off Oregon /
Washington is normally very rough ocean water. Can probably catch them in
British Columbia near Uculet(sp?) sound. Do a search on Halibut and
Vancouver Island. As well as a search on Halibut and Washington.

Old November 6th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Sam Salmon

The best place for you to fish from would be the West Coast of
Vancouver Island-Ucluelet village would be cheapest.
http://www.bcferries.com to access Vancouver Island

http://www.islandwestresort.com/ for a fishing Charter ask for Ken
Myers as your Guide he's one of the very best.

http://www.vancouverislandabound.com/ for general VI info

http://www.coastalbc.com/ all kinds of coastal info

http://www.bcadventure.com for excellent BC info

Old November 6th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Jim Pook

Hi the

Halibut - one of my favourite fish to catch!

I guide out of Tahsis, British Columbia (www.tahsisbc.com) We do have
Halibut here, but not in the numbers that Alaska or some other areas have.
If I REALLY wanted a great Halibut trip, I would fly to Prince Rupert and
head out to Dundas Island or Wales Island when the Pink Salmon are bunching
up at the river mouths. I know some great spots up there from a guiding
stint I did for one of the lodges in '95

Here in Tahsis, we head out about 7 to 10 miles off shore. While there are
some very big hali's out there, it can be hit or miss. This last spring and
summer saw a bunch in the 150 to 200 pound range, but it was done by guys
who were out there every day for weeks on end.

Good luck in your hali hunting - if you require any help, feel free to give
me a call. I can get you in touch with some good guides in whatever area you
would like to fish.

Jim Pook
Jim's Fishing Charters
Box 326
Tahsis, BC V0P 1X0
www.jimsfishing.com

1(888) 617-FISH (3474) Toll Free
(250) 934-7665 Local

k.net...

Old November 6th, 2003, 09:18 PM
Rikard Stenberg

Folks, a million thanks for all the tips & hints - both here in this
newsgroup and via e-mail I have received!

I will make sure to post a report when/if we manage the trip. Maybe
around August or September next year...

Again, thanks!
/Rikard
Old November 6th, 2003, 11:13 PM
daytripper

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 21:18:46 GMT, Rikard Stenberg
wrote:

Folks, a million thanks for all the tips & hints - both here in this
newsgroup and via e-mail I have received!

I will make sure to post a report when/if we manage the trip. Maybe
around August or September next year...

Late to the thread, but you best have proper gear if you're serious about
this.

Of every fish I've ever gone after, Mister Halibut is the hands-down winner of
the Remorseless Gear Trashing Machine award.

Good luck - hope you tie into a real monster, as the battle will be truly
memorable...
Old November 7th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Rikard Stenberg

daytripper wrote:

Late to the thread, but you best have proper gear if you're serious about
this.

Of every fish I've ever gone after, Mister Halibut is the hands-down winner of
the Remorseless Gear Trashing Machine award.

Good luck - hope you tie into a real monster, as the battle will be truly
memorable...

Oh yes I know... Once a battled one with a 8' 20 lb. rod with a
Ambassadeur 10000 CL reel - good gear but not up to that fish, line
broke... When I hooked the second big one it looked like the odds were
in my favor - 50 lb. stand-up rod, Penn Senator 9/0 and heavy line. But
thing let go of the hook after a 30 minute long battle...

So we will def. bring some large artillery :-)

/Rikard
Old June 26th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Rodney

Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 22:05:28 -0600