Poll??? How far will you drive?

Old October 22nd, 2003, 05:59 AM
Charles B. Summers

Default Poll??? How far will you drive?

To spend a day 8or more hours, how far would you be willing to drive to fish
a lake?

Let's do this in driving time instead of miles since the speed limits vary.
Think about driving the legal speed limit too, please. o:-)

Within a couple of hours away from Nashville, we have some major lakes. Dale
Hollow, Center Hill, Kentucky/Barkley Lakes, Pickwick, Percy Priest, Old
Hickory, Cheatham, Reelfoot... and several more. So, I'd say two hours for
me.

How many lakes could you reach in your driving range?
--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com

Old October 22nd, 2003, 12:13 PM
Josh

We have very poor fishing in comparison to most of the group when it comes
to one day driving ranges. I easily drive an hour to an hour and a half to
get away from some of the city pressure. Traveling to Wisc. or Mich. is a
remote possibility, but the sheer numbers of people who make that trip make
it uninteresting. 2.5 hours would be my max and even then not much water of
quality to hit. Your location and quality of water is what makes me want to
move to Nashville area.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old October 22nd, 2003, 12:47 PM
RichZ

I have dozens and dozens of really good smaller lakes within a couple
hours, plus the CT and Hudson Rivers and of course Candlewood, which is 20
minutes away. But I drive 4 hours to Champlain for a weekend on the drop of
a hat, at least once a month -- usually twice.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old October 22nd, 2003, 12:48 PM
Craig

Good Question! I believe that you need to justify costs or expenses. The
reason I buy high quality equipment. One life time expense vs., continuous
small expenses. I also live in a great area of the country, because I am
surrounded by some of the most premier fishing waters in the world. I need
not travel more that 2-hours to find some of the best fishing waters for any
species of freshwater fish.

When I typically fish outside of this 2-hour travel distance, is when the
expense of the trip is on someone else's dime (work travel, won a trip,
etc.). The only other time is if I have the opportunity to win enough money
that it will not only pay for the trip, but enhance my investment funds
(college, retirement, living), such as tournaments.

--
Craig Baugher

Old October 22nd, 2003, 01:22 PM
Bob La Londe

"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot) wrote in
message ...
To spend a day 8or more hours, how far would you be willing to drive to

fish
a lake?

Let's do this in driving time instead of miles since the speed limits

vary.
Think about driving the legal speed limit too, please. o:-)

Within a couple of hours away from Nashville, we have some major lakes.

Dale
Hollow, Center Hill, Kentucky/Barkley Lakes, Pickwick, Percy Priest, Old
Hickory, Cheatham, Reelfoot... and several more. So, I'd say two hours for
me.

How many lakes could you reach in your driving range?
--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
www.midtennclassic.org

I drive from 10 minutes to 45 minutes to get to all of the best launching
areas in the area. I have been known to light up the big motor and run for
almost an hour up river to try some new areas upriver.

I guess the question might be refined to routine vs special fishing trips.
Alamo is abput a 6 hour drive at legal speeds, yet I plan to spend atleast
one weekend there this winter. Same with Lake Havasu.

So on a routine basis for a days fishing I drive less than an hour, but for
a chance to get away I might spend one day driving to be able to fish the
next day.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Old October 22nd, 2003, 01:49 PM
Eric Ryder

Most of the top largemouth waters in NH are within an hour. The Lakes
Region (Winnipesaukee, Squam, etc) are 1-1.5 hours with some of the finest
smallie action anywhere. The lower sections of the Connecticutt River are
just over an hour. About the only top destination I won't head for instate
is Umbagog in the far north at 2.5 hours (great smallies... but you have to
pass the Lakes to go there

Old October 22nd, 2003, 02:41 PM
RGarri7470

How many lakes could you reach in your driving range?

I can be on 22 major lakes in Georgia, ranging from Seminole on the Fla. line
to Hartwell on the South Carolina line. I am right in the middle of Georgia -
can be at 20 of the lakes in 3 hours or less. I won't usually drive more than
1.5 hours on a one day trip tho - two hours is pushing it, and over two I will
spend the night. There are 12 major lakes within the 1.5 hours for me tho!
Including West Point, Oconee, Sinclair, Lanier, and others you probalby have
not heard of.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old October 22nd, 2003, 02:42 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot) wrote in message
To spend a day 8or more hours, how far would you be willing to drive to fish
a lake?

***I've driven over 2 hours many times to fish. It makes for a long day, but it has been worth it
for me. The problem is that I have so many lakes in my area that it's hard to get to all of them.

Let's do this in driving time instead of miles since the speed limits vary.
Think about driving the legal speed limit too, please. o:-)

***Legal speed limit? I thought that posted speeds was just an advisory! ;-)

Within a couple of hours away from Nashville, we have some major lakes. Dale
Hollow, Center Hill, Kentucky/Barkley Lakes, Pickwick, Percy Priest, Old
Hickory, Cheatham, Reelfoot... and several more. So, I'd say two hours for
me.

How many lakes could you reach in your driving range?

***How many lakes in a two hour driving radius of Rhinelander? Literally thousands!! Between
Oneida and Vilas counties, there's over 2,500 lakes. That doesn't include the neighboring counties
of Lincoln and Forest, which have probably close to 1,000 lakes as well. THAT's what keeps me
living here. So many lakes, so little time.....
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Old October 22nd, 2003, 04:09 PM
Charles B. Summers

Maybe it's that I'm still a young man, or it could be that I'm just too
cheap to spring for a motel, but... If I left the house for a two hour
drive, I can be at the lake at 6:00 if I left at 4:00. Then, if I fish for
about 12 hours, that would put me back home a little after 8:00.

My two hour drive was just covering Tennessee and some of Kentucky. Now if I
were making a five hour or longer drive, which would be a rarity... I'd get
the motel.

Just out of curiosity... how long was the drive to Tennessee for you last
year Ronnie?