NJ Fly Selection?

Old October 24th, 2007, 11:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pmjasper

Default NJ Fly Selection?

Hello gentlemen. I am just getting back into fly fishing and was
wondering what are some "must have" flies (pattern and hook size) for
fishing the streams of NJ? I live in Sussex County and want to
concentrate on fishing the Big Flatbrook and the Paulinskill Rivers.
Any guidence would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

--
pmjasper
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Corndog[_5_]

Nymphs:
Pheasant tail #14-16 (bead head or without, with flashabu if you can
find it)
Gold Ribbed Hairs Ear #14-16
Olive Scud #14-16
Peeking Caddis #14-16

Drys:
Adams #14-18
Blue Winged Olive #18-20
Light Cahill #14-18
Black Trico #22-24
Zebra Midge #22-24
Black Ant #16
Tan Caddis #16
Ausable Wulff #14
Blue Dun #16

Also include:
Black and Olive Wolly Buggers #10
Muddler Minnow #10

Since it's starting to cool off, drys will be winding down for the
year. Of course there will be some black snow flies on the BFB in the
winter which will bring a few rises. So, I would focus on stocking up
on nymphs first. My all time favorite for winter fishing is the Peeking
Caddis. Tan body, chartruse thorax, and black legs and head, or brown
body, tan thorax, and black legs and head.

There are many more, as other guys here will tell you, but this will
get you off to a good start.

See you on the river,
Cdog

--
Corndog
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pmjasper[_2_]

Thanks CDog. Hopefully can get out this weekend and give it a shot.

--
pmjasper
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
BIGBOW

As far as dries go this weekend: Small BWO, black midges, and adams
worked well last weekend and I suspect will this weekend too. I did
have more luck with the wets and streamers though.

--
BIGBOW

*Listen To The River Sing Sweet Songs To Rock My Soul...*
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pmjasper[_3_]

Thanks BIGBOW. Last weekend I tried a #10 Hares Ear and a #10 Pheasant
Tail nympth without success. From what I'm reading it appears that I
should tried smaller nymphs in the #14-#16 size along with the other
flies suggested. Thanks again.

--
pmjasper
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
JeffK[_7_]

Cdog's list is pretty good. I will just make a few comments. I like
gray rather than olive scuds. Caddis are always good. The peeking
caddis is a good cased caddis, but a few olive and tan larvae or pupa
don't hurt. FFing is pretty mayfly-centric but caddis do well.

Don't forget a few junk flies. Chamios worms, glow bugs, sucker spawn,
green weenies, red hots (green weenie with fluorescent red chenille), CJ
nymphs, and Honey Bugs are all more effective than many match-the-hatch
guys believe. They are also easy to tie.

--
JeffK
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
rckrego[_2_]

Jeff forgot to mention the SJ. Always a killer.

--
rckrego
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pmjasper[_4_]

I'm familiar with all except the CJ nymph and honey bug.

--
pmjasper
Old October 25th, 2007, 07:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Daniel-San

"pmjasper" wrote ...

Hello gentlemen. I am just getting back into fly fishing and was
wondering what are some "must have" flies (pattern and hook size) for
fishing the streams of NJ? I live in Sussex County and want to
concentrate on fishing the Big Flatbrook and the Paulinskill Rivers.
Any guidence would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A few years ago, I had great luck with the "IOBO Humpy" on the Big
Flatbrook. Mostly olive, a couple in the greyer shades.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/steps/...iobo_humpy.htm

I most likely threw some March Browns, Grey Foxes, and Adams as well.

Most folks fish that river with nymphs (Copper John and GRHE were the most
popular when I was there). In fact, some locals with whom I chatted were a
little surprised that I had taken fish on top.

Since the BFB is a heavily stocked stream, flies that work will probably
vary.

A few pics:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/349283878CSLcGv

Have fun,