The VERY best fly fishing destination?

Old September 14th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Bill Kiene

Default The VERY best fly fishing destination?

Cays of southern Cuba..........for me.

http://www.avalons.net/

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"Padishar Creel" wrote in message
My wife asked me, "if you couild go anywhere in the world for a fly
fishing
vacation, where would you want to go?"

I answered immediately, "The Seychelles!"

Then I got to wondering if that is really the very best, since I have
never
been there or any really exotic fly fishing locals.. So fellow Roffians,
how
about your opinions on the absolute ultimate fly fishing destination -- IF
money was not a consideration, where would you go now with 9/11 and all?

Chris

Old September 14th, 2004, 10:41 AM
riverman

"Padishar Creel" wrote in message
My wife asked me, "if you couild go anywhere in the world for a fly

fishing
vacation, where would you want to go?"

I answered immediately, "The Seychelles!"

Then I got to wondering if that is really the very best, since I have

never
been there or any really exotic fly fishing locals.. So fellow Roffians,

how
about your opinions on the absolute ultimate fly fishing destination -- IF
money was not a consideration, where would you go now with 9/11 and all?

I just got asked this last summer. For me, the thrill of exotic locations
and new sights is no longer a draw....I'd want to be back 'home'. Also, the
novelty of meeting new people or being introduced to unusual cultures is
also no longer a real draw...give me the familiar sights, smells and sounds
of the old stomping grounds.

Four or five summers ago, Kevin, Mark and I (my best friends from college,
20 years ago) did week-long canoe trip down the St Croix river on the
Maine/Canada border. World class bass fishing, with fish taken on almost
every cast. I guided that river for many years, so getting to take my buds
on that water, and fish to our hearts content, was the best summer in many
years. We were spin-casting at the time as I had not started flyfishing yet,
so for me, money being no object and any destination being possible, get me
in a canoe for a 2-week St Croix trip with Mark and Kevin, 8-ft 4wts, a
couple boxes of dries, and some sunny days. Anyone can go to the Seychelles,
but not anyone can get out with their best buds on familar water and just be
at home!

--riverman

Old September 14th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Roger Ohlund

"Padishar Creel" wrote in message
My wife asked me, "if you couild go anywhere in the world for a fly

fishing
vacation, where would you want to go?"

I answered immediately, "The Seychelles!"

Then I got to wondering if that is really the very best, since I have

never
been there or any really exotic fly fishing locals.. So fellow Roffians,

how
about your opinions on the absolute ultimate fly fishing destination -- IF
money was not a consideration, where would you go now with 9/11 and all?

Chris

Chris,

I'd go to the Kola peninsula and fish for brown trout in an area that still
hasn't seen all that many fly fishermen (let alone people).
Since there's an abundance of places I wish to go I'd also ask the weather
gods for nice weather and while I'm at it don't forget plenty of insects
(preferrably other than mosquitoes).
If I can't go there I'd like to go to Patagonia or New Zeeland or Alaska or
Greenland or Iceland or Kamchatka or.................well, you get my
meaning.

/ Roger
Daytime engineer
Lifetime fly fisherman
If you feel like it, visit http://www.imsoc.se/angler/ for info on fly
fishing in northern Sweden, Lapland,
or visit http://www.imsoc.se/ffgallery/ , the fly fishermen's gallery.

Old September 14th, 2004, 02:46 PM
castnblast

Bill Kiene wrote:
Cays of southern Cuba..........for me.

http://www.avalons.net/

--
Bill Kiene

Better be careful. Our ex-cocaine sniffing draft-dodger (and still
moron) president
will throw you in jail for that.

Old September 14th, 2004, 02:46 PM
castnblast

Bill Kiene wrote:
Cays of southern Cuba..........for me.

http://www.avalons.net/

Old September 14th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Goat

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:32:08 -0700, "Padishar Creel"
wrote:

My wife asked me, "if you couild go anywhere in the world for a fly fishing
vacation, where would you want to go?"

I answered immediately, "The Seychelles!"

Then I got to wondering if that is really the very best, since I have never
been there or any really exotic fly fishing locals.. So fellow Roffians, how
about your opinions on the absolute ultimate fly fishing destination -- IF
money was not a consideration, where would you go now with 9/11 and all?

Chris

I know for most it is not much of a stretch, but fo me...
Alaska. Hands down.
I even tried to think of another place, but really... Alaska.
Funny thing is, I don't even care where. Just as long as the fishing
is good and there is not sight or sound of civilization, one good
friend and cold beer.

Old September 14th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Dave Martel

"rw" wrote in message
m...
Chas Wade wrote:

So how abot a few hints on how you got it to cost 1/3 of the
Seychelles? I presume that makes it cheaper than the Bahamas.

When I was at Christmas Island a few years ago I tried to figure out the
cost of a roll-your-own trip (as opposed to a package with Kauffman's or
someone like that). I can't quote any actual numbers, but my impression
was that it could be done much cheaper. I don't think you'd have much
trouble finding a boat and a guide. I'd stay in the town where the boats
launch (can't recall the name), to avoid the truck ride across the
island from the Captain Cook hotel.

Steve's right....the town is London. When I checked it would have been $9000
+ for a week in the Seychelles (including air and all incidentials) and a
week at Christmas is give/take $3500 if you get the free ait miles (as I
usually do) to Honolulu.

Dave M