Force lower unit

Old January 27th, 2005, 09:55 AM
LedBelly

Default Force lower unit

Does anyone know how to put a force lower unit back together?
I took mine apart to replace the water pump and curiosity got the best
of me, I decided to inspect the gears as well. Next thing I know
theres parts all over my garage consisting of gears, bolts and little
piles of needle bearings here and there, those suckers are small but i
think i was able to retain most of them. Also, if you know of a good
welding shop that deals with aluminum, that'd be great too. As I pryed
the lower unit from the mid section of the case a small chunk of
aluminum was broken from the casting. I tried a coat hanger and a blow
torch to weld up the small hole left by my crowbar, but that didnt
work and now theres a large fist sized opening. JB weld supported by a
mesh of screen (provided by my screen door) doesn't seem to hold too
well, as the epoxy keeps dripping out, once again exposing my
mechanical shortcoming. I'd like a reply fairly quick if possible, I
plan on taking the boat out this weekend.

TIA!

OH, P.S. Charles, we can try yours next weekend, if you want to..
Old January 27th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Huck Palmatier

....sounds like you need a "Nanny-Cam" to record what you're doing...so you
can un-do it later said Huck

Old January 27th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Andrew Kidd

"LedBelly" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to put a force lower unit back together?

http://tinyurl.com/5jzrx

It works wonders!

As for the welding, call around. Most good welding shops will take care of
this. It is a problem if the area broken extends into where the lower unit
oil is stored, since this will try to bubble out through the metal as it's
heated, causing voids in the metal.

--
Andrew Kidd

Old January 27th, 2005, 02:02 PM
LedBelly

http://tinyurl.com/5jzrx

Andrew, did you see the customer reviews at the bottom of that page?

"For most do it yourself types of repairs, this manual is a great
help, but I would not use it if I was rebuilding a lower unit."

Just my luck.. :-/ Thanks for trying.
Old January 27th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Jack Schmitt

"LedBelly" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to put a force lower unit back together?
I took mine apart to replace the water pump and curiosity got the best
snipped

OH, P.S. Charles, we can try yours next weekend, if you want to..

Kirby Welding on Martin Street by the Sounds Ball park. Telephone 242-2701.
Mr. Kirby is a fisherman and has done a lot of work for me over the years
when I was in the repair department at the now closed Clay's on Franklin
road.

Old January 27th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Charles Summers

OMG!!! If you think for one minute I'm going to let you get a crow-bar on my
boat... you've lost your mind!!! LOL I think I'll just call Champion Marine
to get mine done...

Hope you get yours back together... but be sure to "seek professional help"
in getting that lower unit welded back up!

Old January 27th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Bob La Londe

I don't know about the reassembly of the lower unit, but Bob's Machine in
Florida does aluminum repairs all the time. When I damage a skeg badly I
send the lower unit to them for repair.

--
** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
** www.YumaBassMan.com

Old January 27th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Bob La Londe

Also, ask the guys over at Ten Killer Marine. They have helped me out a
couple times. They are usually willing to help even if just asking advice,
and of course they hope to sell you any parts you might need. They have an
on-line help via e-mail or their own forum.

Old January 27th, 2005, 04:38 PM
LedBelly

ROTFL
Hook line and sinker!
Add a Bass pro, a Jack and a Bob to my weigh bag!
(Using screen door material and epoxy to patch a hole in my lower
unit?? LOLOL Comon guys..If yall were a fish you'd have a banjo
minnow hanging from your lips..) I never dreamed I'd be taken
seriously on this post, my appologies if I ruffled any feathers in the
process, and thanks for offering up some advice.

Charles, its really simple to replace the water pump, the only trick
is dealing with the shifter rod, and making sure the water tube gets
proerly aligned with the pump. The old Force shifter rod was a
nightmare, this one should be pretty easy. One type uses a pin to
connect the shifter rod in the engine compartment, another has a pin
to be removed when you lower the case a little bit, and another type
has a splined shifter rod that doesn't even require disconnecting a
pin. If the rod is threaded then you mark the position for refferance
when you put it back together, or else you'll have a blast readjusting
the ****er. Once the lower unit is disconnected from the mid section
of the case its a breeze. The pump is sitting right on top, and the
pump housing and impeller slides right off the drive shaft. You don't
even have to drain the gear oil, you won't see inside the lower unit.

But I can't blame you if you'd rather not fool with it and have a
professional work on your baby, that's being smart, not being a
sissy.. I myself am a do it yourselfer. It has GOT to be easier than
replacing our well pump last month that was hangning from a hose 160
feet underground.

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:44:17 -0600, "Charles Summers"
wrote:

OMG!!! If you think for one minute I'm going to let you get a crow-bar on my
boat... you've lost your mind!!! LOL I think I'll just call Champion Marine
to get mine done...

Hope you get yours back together... but be sure to "seek professional help"
in getting that lower unit welded back up!

.. .

Old January 27th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Charles Summers

Yeerrr a funny little man, aren't ya? I figured you have a little more
machanic ability than that!

PS: I'll still get Team Marine to do mine. LOL