floatation suits etc.

Old January 17th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Phil O'Neill

Default floatation suits etc.

Hi

I'm about to invest in new clothing for going beach fishing this winter
for me and my 10 year old son. I was wondering what everyone's views on
things like floatation suits, neoprene waders etc.

What kind of footwear do you wear with flotation suits?

Can you walk into the sea in a flotation suit and remain dry, like with
waders?

what are the drawback's?

Is there something better than waders or flotation suits?

Many thanks to anyone that can help in at all.
--
Phil O'Neill
Old January 18th, 2004, 07:09 AM
malcolm

"Phil O'Neill" wrote in message
Hi

I'm about to invest in new clothing for going beach fishing this winter
for me and my 10 year old son. I was wondering what everyone's views on
things like floatation suits, neoprene waders etc.

What kind of footwear do you wear with flotation suits?

Can you walk into the sea in a flotation suit and remain dry, like with
waders?

what are the drawback's?

Is there something better than waders or flotation suits?

Many thanks to anyone that can help in at all.
--
Phil O'Neill

I used to wear my wellies under my suit trousers,
so could go in a foot of water and not get wet,
the water pressure seals the legs around the boots.
waders are a big no no on the beach, if you get water in them they can drag
you under,
or stop you from standing and getting out from any undertow.
one or two piece floatation suits work very well.
two piece suits are more flexible for when its slightly warmer and bending
over, crouching etc,
one piece suits tend to sag out and feel like a Teletubby suit.
ok for boats, but not really on the beach.
regards malcolm

Old January 18th, 2004, 08:31 AM
roddytoo

"Phil O'Neill" wrote in message
Hi

I'm about to invest in new clothing for going beach fishing this winter
for me and my 10 year old son. I was wondering what everyone's views on
things like floatation suits, neoprene waders etc.

What kind of footwear do you wear with flotation suits?

Can you walk into the sea in a flotation suit and remain dry, like with
waders?

what are the drawback's?

Is there something better than waders or flotation suits?

Many thanks to anyone that can help in at all.
--
Phil O'Neill

As per other reply, chest waders not a good idea, certainly do not mix
chesties and a suit, you'd never walk! The suits are great, but will let
water up the leg. Nothing's perfect. Not sure neoprenes would last long,
depending on the beach.

Old January 18th, 2004, 12:53 PM
malcolm

"roddytoo" wrote in message

[...]

turn down the tops of your wellies John Holden style and put the leg cuffs
over them, keeps the water out no problem

Old January 19th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Skipper

Malcolm,

As far as I'm aware, neoprene waders are safe to wear in the event of going
into the water. As long as they are snug fitting around the chest, they
won't fill with water. I've seen a video of the Salmon fishing author Hugh
Faulkus throwing himself into a river to prove the point.

Breathable waders are a different story however. These can easily flood
(especially if worn with a belt I'm told?) and would certainly be dangerous.

--

Skipper

***** WARNING - SPAMBUSTER IN OPERATION

***** Replace 'mapson' with 'boatskipper' to reply

Old January 19th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Peter Smith

2 Piece suit and thermal lined boots - Sundrige now put all the flotation in
the jacket wheras some suits require both jacket and trousers to provide
full bouancy - Shakespere president for example.

I personally find the "cut" of the Sundridge suits to be the best for
casting far better than my Shakespere.

"roddytoo" wrote in message

[...]

---

Old January 24th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Colin Smith

Hi, I can recommend the Penn flotation suit (I have the two piece) doesn't
tend to get too hot in that, and easier access when nature calls. They will
help you to float but are not a replacement for a lifejacket. Derri boots,
although a bit dearer, are also good. At the end of the day, you get what
you pay for. Same for neoprene waders, worth the money.
Good luck
Smudge

Old January 24th, 2004, 05:24 PM
SEAANGLING

- Sundrige now put all the flotation
in the jacket

The Crossflow breathable is a superb suit, the best I've tested to date and the
non-floation sallopettes are great on the beach with a smock. Cheers, Norman.