Huge brown

Old February 4th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Kevin Vang

Default Huge brown

I got this my dad, who lives in Butte, who got it
from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from
the source, and now I'm expanding the grapevine.

http://mail.misu.nodak.edu/~kevin.vang/DSC00048.JPG
http://mail.misu.nodak.edu/~kevin.vang/DSC00049.JPG
(Warning: Huge file sizes - I didn't have time
to shrink them down.)

A new state record brown trout (see the photos!). In
fact, it is now the
largest salmonid state record. This fish was caught this morning Clark
Canyon on a jig and minnow with 4 lb test line (possibly a new line
class world record).

Specifications:
Location:
Date: February 1, 2005
Length: 35.5 inches
Weight: 31 lb 11 oz

Angler:
Timmy Johansen
Butte , MT
Guide: Joel DeTonancour

--
reply to:
kevin dot vang at minotstatu dot edu
Old February 4th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Kevin Vang wrote:
I got this my dad, who lives in Butte, who got it
from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from
the source, and now I'm expanding the grapevine.

Whoa, that's a big fish. If it was me I'd take it straight
to the taxidermist.

I'll betcha he wouldn't have landed that thing on 4 lb test
if the water wasn't as cold as a well digger's arse.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old February 5th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Todd Enders

In Kevin Vang wrote:
I got this my dad, who lives in Butte, who got it
from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from
the source, and now I'm expanding the grapevine.

That's not a trout, that's a small child!
E-gads!!! :-)

Todd (remove hook to reply)
Old February 5th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Mike Makela

"Todd Enders" wrote in message
In Kevin Vang wrote:
I got this my dad, who lives in Butte, who got it
from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from
the source, and now I'm expanding the grapevine.

That's not a trout, that's a small child!
E-gads!!! :-)

Todd (remove hook to reply)

Or at least that was what it had for lunch..

Mike

Old February 6th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Gene Cottrell

This reminds me of a friend that caught some monster trout in Argentina. He
had a photo of himself with one draped over his shoulder. One evening, after
fishing, he was at the Red Rose on the Beaverkill and there was braggart at
the bar telling about the large trout he caught. My friend pulled out his
photo and told him he caught it in Cairns Pool. Shut that guy up for a
while.

Gene

Old February 6th, 2005, 02:41 AM
JR

Kevin Vang wrote:
I got this my dad, who lives in Butte, who got it
from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from
the source, and now I'm expanding the grapevine.

http://mail.misu.nodak.edu/~kevin.vang/DSC00048.JPG
http://mail.misu.nodak.edu/~kevin.vang/DSC00049.JPG

Here's a link to a newspaper article about the catch.....

http://tinyurl.com/6ltxt
Old February 6th, 2005, 03:00 AM
bearsbuddy

"JR" wrote in message
Kevin Vang wrote:
I got this my dad, who lives in Butte, who got it
from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from the source, and now I'm
expanding the grapevine.

http://mail.misu.nodak.edu/~kevin.vang/DSC00048.JPG
http://mail.misu.nodak.edu/~kevin.vang/DSC00049.JPG

Here's a link to a newspaper article about the catch.....

http://tinyurl.com/6ltxt

Why that's merely a wee bitty fish! You see how the gut had to kneel down
just to get in the picture with the fish? Sure sign of a small fish!

Mark

Old February 6th, 2005, 05:09 AM
rw

JR wrote:
Kevin Vang wrote:

I got this my dad, who lives in Butte, who got it
from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from the source, and now
I'm expanding the grapevine.

http://mail.misu.nodak.edu/~kevin.vang/DSC00048.JPG
http://mail.misu.nodak.edu/~kevin.vang/DSC00049.JPG

Here's a link to a newspaper article about the catch.....

http://tinyurl.com/6ltxt

That's a very big fish, and a truly lousy photograph.

Old February 6th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Mark Tinsky

That's a very big fish, and a truly lousy photograph.

Steve
We caught bigger than that last winter on the Mo?? Hard to keep all
those big fish straight.... MT
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Kevin Vang

In article ,
says...
Here's a link to a newspaper article about the catch.....

http://tinyurl.com/6ltxt

That's amazing - that fish was caught by an angler from Beulah,
ND in the Garrison Tailrace, which is about 50 miles away from
my home. I wonder what idiot changed that to an angler from
Butte, MT and the Clark Canyon Dam.

Incidently, the Garrison Tailrace is the Missouri River just
below the Garrison Dam, near Pick City, ND. There are browns,
rainbows, cutthroats, and Chinook salmon in there (the water
flows at about 40 degrees F year round.) It's a popular winter
fishing spot because it very seldom freezes over. The trout
and salmon get freakishly fat in there by eating the smelt that
get sucked through the turbines at the power plant. People
who have heard that there is a tailwater with trout in ND often
email me and ask if it is wadable. Since the water usually
flows at 20-30,000 cfs, up to 60,000 cfs in a high water year,
my answer is, "Not twice, you don't."

Kevin
--
reply to: kevin dot vang at minotstateu dot edu