More on Penns Green Drakes

Old May 4th, 2005, 09:43 PM
JR

Default More on Penns Green Drakes

Frank started a good thread on roft about extended body spinners, so I
won't go there.....

For duns, I've been tying a few of these, mostly on 10s, with a 12 or two
(are 12s too small?.... should I be looking more toward 8s instead?):

http://tinyurl.com/8byyr

I've also gone a bit crazy and tied up a couple hairwing duns and a couple
comparaduns (mostly for fun, 'cause I've never tied any even close to this
big):

http://tinyurl.com/a8sbn

http://tinyurl.com/ag52f

And, still mostly foolin' around, I've also tied a few cripples, on #10
200Rs:

http://tinyurl.com/ajqeb

These different styles are useful for our western GDs, but am I wasting my
time for the Penns variety?

JR
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Thomas Littleton

"JR" wrote in message ...
Frank started a good thread on roft about extended body spinners, so I
won't go there.....

For duns, I've been tying a few of these, mostly on 10s, with a 12 or two
(are 12s too small?.... should I be looking more toward 8s instead?):

http://tinyurl.com/8byyr

I've also gone a bit crazy and tied up a couple hairwing duns and a couple
comparaduns (mostly for fun, 'cause I've never tied any even close to this
big):

http://tinyurl.com/a8sbn

http://tinyurl.com/ag52f

And, still mostly foolin' around, I've also tied a few cripples, on #10
200Rs:

http://tinyurl.com/ajqeb

These different styles are useful for our western GDs, but am I wasting my
time for the Penns variety?

JR

I believe it was Datus Proper who once stated that a fairly stiff extended
body on a fly is a fine conservation measure(ie:the damn thing bounces out
of the trout's mouth easily), my experience tends to agree. I do have a soft
alternative that will be added to Frank's thread on ROFFT.
Tom

Old May 5th, 2005, 12:52 AM

Those are beautiful flies JR. Are the tails all moose hair?

bh

Old May 5th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Thomas Littleton

As for the colors involved and sizes:
The duns would require about a size 4 dry fly hook(6 longshank). Most locals
use a #10 4xl streamer hook. The duns have an ivory body, with dark markings
on top with an olive tinge to dark gray wings. Tails are dark brown/grey.
The spinners are nearly white, with a tinge of pale yellow(the eggs?).
Their wings are mottled dark on translucent to clear. Size is huge.
Longshank flies work horribly, raise all fish with a good pattern and most
pop right out of the trout's mouth. A soft extended body fly of about 2
inches long on a #12 hook is about right.
If we get a real dark, overcast day, we may encounter the Dark Green
Drake(Litobrancha Recurvata, formerly a Hex family before reclassification).
Makela and I caught this hatch exactly once, and it was memorable. These
things are REALLY big(make the Coffin Flies appear dainty), and kind of
muscular for a mayfly spinner. They hit you with a distinct WHAP! noise.
Normally a late-night hatcher, so don't plan on encountering them, or bother
tying flies for them......

Tom

Old May 5th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Larry L

"Thomas Littleton" wrote

I believe it was Datus Proper who once stated that a fairly stiff extended
body on a fly is a fine conservation measure(ie:the damn thing bounces out
of the trout's mouth easily), my experience tends to agree. I do have a
soft
alternative that will be added to Frank's thread on ROFFT.
Tom

the first year I fished the Green Drake fiasco on the HFork I used a
Paradrake tied purchased locally. It had an elkhair and moose extended
body, dark elk wing and parachute hackle .... fish took it but it was a very
poor hooker "What the Trout Said " or whatever Proper's book is called
is great .... must read for fly designers

Old May 5th, 2005, 02:01 AM
JR

Those are beautiful flies JR. Are the tails all moose hair?

Thanks. Yes, all moose hair, split.