Short TR of a short trip

Old October 31st, 2004, 07:06 PM
Peter Charles

Default Short TR of a short trip

FINALLY, I wet a line.

Blustery, cold, swirling winds -- oh ya, nice day.

I wanted steelhead, Grand River steelhead. We've had lots of rain,
pouring, buckets, cats & dogs, lighting storms waking me up,
torrential downpours, so me figures that water levels would be high.
I prepare -- big, fat waters needs big, fat rod with big, fat line for
throwing big, fat flies. Bring little rod in case the big, fat water
is too fat and the Credit becomes the destination of choice. In the
trunk goes a 14'6" - 10 wt. and 12'4" - 8/9 wt.

Parking lot not crowded (it's tiny so it's easy to crowd) and only two
guys fishing. Uh Oh, low water. Where did all the water go? Anyway,
string up the 10 wt. and head for the main current.

The wind, did I tell you about the wind? It must be female today
because it couldn't make up it's mind. Upstream, downstream, in my
face, off my casting shoulder (either one), blowing hard, barely
blowing. AAACCCKKK! Just when I'd set up off the right, the D-Loop
is blown into me, set up on the left and the same thing. Which way?

Did I say that I had a big, fat rod? Well. sweeping line with a big
fat rod when the wind is blowing hard against it, beats a Bowflex for
making muscle. I decide that the little rod will be better.

Surprise, it's a bit too little, and I can't get the distance I'd like
in the wind. Plus the crappy Windcutter line won't turn over half the
time. After a futile half-an-hour, a mammoth gust blows the entire
kit 'n' kaboodle right in my face in mid sweep. Hogtied! I quit
(after untying myself).

Oh ya . . . no fish.

Shoulda stayed in bed . . .

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old October 31st, 2004, 08:15 PM
-- Rob

Oh ya . . . no fish.

Shoulda stayed in bed . . .

Peter

This sounds like my entire fall for stripers.

Wind, wind, or no fish no fish. We had 2 weeks of North winds that ruined a key
part of the fall run.

But hopefully this week will turn fish on again, and be a little more fly
friendly.

A 14' 2 hand rod might be nice as well.

-- Rob

Old October 31st, 2004, 10:23 PM
bugcaster

"Peter Charles" wrote in message
FINALLY, I wet a line.

Blustery, cold, swirling winds -- oh ya, nice day.

I wanted steelhead,

Describes the latest trip to the Deschutes. I did not see anyone hook up,
but later learned that a few had caught fish on the same day. The ratio was
not good, and with my struggle on the spey rod, it was not likely I would
have been one to hook up. You have to believe it is possible, and I was
struggling with that concept.

The highlight was stopping in and getting some advice from John Hazel in
Maupin, and buying his DVD. I have watched the RIO video, and like the
Hazel DVD much better. The production is improved by the use of slow motion
and the excellent photography. I resisted buying a Loop, but my brother
bought a Blue Loop rod.

I've decided to sell my 13' 4" Hardy Elite when I get around to taking
photos. I'll soon enjoy a Blue Loop also.

Old October 31st, 2004, 10:42 PM
Peter Charles

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:23:55 -0800, "bugcaster"
wrote:

"Peter Charles" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Nice choice on the part of your brother, the 12'4" 8/9 wt. (1284) I
mentioned is a Loop Blue, also have the 7116. Very nice rods. Our
problem here is that the low September water levels haven't brought
the fish in so we're swinging to empty water. At one point the fly
wasn't riding right and I pulled it up for a look-see. Had a big
sucker scale stuck to it. So I did hit a fish, FWIW.

Don't get talked into a Windcutter for it, get either the Loop Adapted
system, the new Loop Quattro, or an Airflo Delta. I have a Windcutter
7/8/9 on the 8124 and it sucks. Today, if I let enough running line
out so that the line didn't come up hard on the reel, the T-8 head
wouldn't complete the turnover. I'd get a laser loop going out, then
the whole thing would drop into the water with 10' to 15' of the tip
still folded back. If I pulled in just three feet of running so that
the line would come up hard on the reel, then that shock was enough to
get the tip rolled out. I was using the T-8 (green) tip along with
Tip 2 -- not the best combo. Had no such problem using the Airflo
9/10 Delta + T-7 tip on the Daiwa. Rolled out as nice as you please
every cast.

Old October 31st, 2004, 10:47 PM
JR

bugcaster wrote:

"Peter Charles" wrote in message
FINALLY, I wet a line.

Blustery, cold, swirling winds -- oh ya, nice day.

I wanted steelhead,

Describes the latest trip to the Deschutes. I did not see anyone hook up,
but later learned that a few had caught fish on the same day.

What section did you fish?

I went to the Siletz last Sunday with a friend from Corvallis. No
steelhead, though each of us had one brief hook-up. We weren't skunked
though; each of us also caught a single sea-run cutthroat, both of them on
Caballeros. A twenty-one incher for my friend (his largest ever), and a
13-incher for me. What lovely bright fish they are!

Oddly, one of the most fun parts of the day was spent looking down off a
bridge watching a group of drift fishermen work a deep pool full of
chinook. They caught 2 in the half hour we watched. There were maybe a
dozen people (a couple of families and a few single guys) along a 30-foot
stretch of gravel bar, with 4 or 5 lines in the water. It was a quiet
friendly communal activity, with no sense of "combat fishing." Looked
like a whole lot of fun, actually. The fish were much brighter than I had
expected, too, that far upstream. Several dozen fish were spawning in a
flat just upstream, and I'd seen a half dozen decomposing carcasses just
downstream, but the fish taken from that pool had only a touch of darkness
to them.

JR