lobster nets, worth it?

Old May 18th, 2006, 11:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater

Default lobster nets, worth it?

Hi!

I'm a recreational sailor, and I'm not really much of a fisherman.
But, I wanted to see if anyone has any advice about lobster trapping.
I anchor in 8-20' of water all the time while I'm cruising, along the
Massachusetts coast. That seems like good lobster territory, and
recreational lobster licenses are available here in MA.

The problem: traps. Too big to carry on a 30' boat. I can, though,
get a net. SOme of them are like basketball hoops, with a bottom,
others are like pyramids that close when I yank them up.

Do these things work? How often should I expect them to work? How do
I know when to yank them up?

Can anyone point me at a book that will help with this?

Thanks for the replies! If folks reply via email, I'll summarize the
best advice and post it in a week or so.

Old May 21st, 2006, 05:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater

"Gavin" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi!

I'm a recreational sailor, and I'm not really much of a fisherman.
But, I wanted to see if anyone has any advice about lobster trapping.
I anchor in 8-20' of water all the time while I'm cruising, along the
Massachusetts coast. That seems like good lobster territory, and
recreational lobster licenses are available here in MA.

The problem: traps. Too big to carry on a 30' boat. I can, though,
get a net. SOme of them are like basketball hoops, with a bottom,
others are like pyramids that close when I yank them up.

Do these things work? How often should I expect them to work? How do
I know when to yank them up?

Can anyone point me at a book that will help with this?

Thanks for the replies! If folks reply via email, I'll summarize the
best advice and post it in a week or so.

I grew up fishing out of Barnstable Harbor on the Cape. Never saw the nets
you describe used for Lobster.

They sound like the Crab Rings I use here (Washington State) for Dungeness
Crab. Works great, but you need an active area, good bait and frequent (1
hour) checking. Rocky bottoms aren't great for these, but sandy & grassy
areas are.

And don't let the line go slack when you pull the ring, lest you lose your
catch!

Old May 24th, 2006, 10:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater

Lobsters feed mostly at night. That being said:
Here is a couple of links to look at:
http://www.allkayakfishing.com/articles/lobster.html
http://www.blueoceantackle.com/hoop_nets.htm

Old May 26th, 2006, 04:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater

"jj" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lobsters feed mostly at night. That being said:
Here is a couple of links to look at:
http://www.allkayakfishing.com/articles/lobster.html
http://www.blueoceantackle.com/hoop_nets.htm

Is what the recreational fishermen use on the West Coast.