So Help Me Lord...

Old July 19th, 2006, 04:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Peter A. Collin

Default So Help Me Lord...

But I think I have a perfect line on a big fish.

There is a trout stream not far from where I live. I don't consider it
any great shakes - just a smallish stream with modest hatches and
smallish wild trout. It is within striking distance from a couple big
cities, so it gets pressure and publicity.

I have never caught anything bigger than 14 inches from this stream, but
have seen a few that were pretty big. This morning I fished the trico
hatch. They were spooky and infuriatingly tough - as trico trout tend
to be. After the spinner fall was done, I prospected around in the
clear water. There is some riprap that forms small caves in places. I
put a crayfish fly on and probed this one cave, my fly in full sight.
The biggest trout I have ever seen in this stream showed itself twice,
inspecting and swiping at the fly. Dark, hookjawed male. 18 or 20
inches I would say. He wouldn't take, but now I know where he lives.
That cave must be his home save for nighttime feeding. It is very easy
to twitch a fly through there. I can easily try for it morning and
evening until it is caught. If I try a number of big uglies in there,
it must bite sooner or later!

I will keep you posted!

Pete Collin
Old July 19th, 2006, 04:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

"Peter A. Collin" wrote in
:

[...]

As I have a very limited imagination, I'm having some trouble picturing
what you are describing. Perhaps it would be better if you just met me
there and showed me ....

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old July 19th, 2006, 05:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Peter A. Collin

Scott Seidman wrote:

As I have a very limited imagination, I'm having some trouble picturing
what you are describing. Perhaps it would be better if you just met me
there and showed me ....

Maybe afterward......!
Old July 19th, 2006, 05:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid

I will keep you posted!

I'd gladly loan you a Frank's Fightin' Craw and take you out there for
some instruction in its use. It may take a few hours of me casting,
but you'll get the hang of it.
Frank Reid

Old July 20th, 2006, 12:44 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
bruiser

Peter A. Collin wrote:

I can easily try for it morning and
evening until it is caught. If I try a number of big uglies in there,
it must bite sooner or later!

I will keep you posted!

Pete Collin

Coooool!!! Don't rattle him to badly until we all get to make
suggestions!

Despite the potential of a jin*, go ahead a carry a camera and a net
for the solo photo.

Over/Under on the number of days it'll take you to catch this fish is
difficult because if you get it rattled it might not reappear for a
while or it might relocate.

Initial Over/Under is 4 days (which includes most of Sunday) and I'll
take the Under for a dozen flies if anyone wants to wager.

bruce h

Old July 20th, 2006, 01:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

bruiser wrote:

Initial Over/Under is 4 days (which includes most of Sunday) and I'll
take the Under for a dozen flies if anyone wants to wager.

That's a sucker bet. Peter will be back there tomorrow morning, if not
this evening. :-)

Personally, I'd go for the late afternoon. I'm assuming this is a brown,
because I know Peter has posted photos of big (BIG!) browns. Late
afternoon is when he should be getting hungry and restless in his hidey
hole.

Maybe a mouse? I wouldn't show him the same fly many times in a row.

Old July 20th, 2006, 01:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
bruiser

allright Peter.... I know you're capable of getting out there and
earning me a dozen of Willis flies.... string up that rod and get out
there and get us a picture man!

Stealth! Presentation! Flourocarbon (what the hell)! Fly Selection!
Offerings to your particular Fishing God If You Have One!

bruce h

Old July 20th, 2006, 01:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Willi

rw wrote:
bruiser wrote:

Initial Over/Under is 4 days (which includes most of Sunday) and I'll
take the Under for a dozen flies if anyone wants to wager.

That's a sucker bet. Peter will be back there tomorrow morning, if not
this evening. :-)

Personally, I'd go for the late afternoon. I'm assuming this is a brown,
because I know Peter has posted photos of big (BIG!) browns. Late
afternoon is when he should be getting hungry and restless in his hidey
hole.

Maybe a mouse? I wouldn't show him the same fly many times in a row.

I don't think an extraordinary Brown is going to be that easy.

We'll see.

Willi
Old July 20th, 2006, 02:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Peter A. Collin

bruiser wrote:
allright Peter.... I know you're capable of getting out there and
earning me a dozen of Willis flies.... string up that rod and get out
there and get us a picture man!

Stealth! Presentation! Flourocarbon (what the hell)! Fly Selection!
Offerings to your particular Fishing God If You Have One!

bruce h

That is the beauty of the spot - In broad daylight it is the fish that
is hidden, so I can ply away, watching my fly through a narrow opening.
I went back this afternoon, but found that the mid-afternoon sun
slants down in a way that would illuminate a good part of his lair. He
must move into the pool to feed at night, and that is another strategy
that I may try. The problem is that this is a very heavily fished pool,
and I don't want anybody to see what I am up to. This little rock cave
can easily be overlooked by people, because it is not the traditional
cast-and-drift lie. There was nobody in sight both times out, but on
the weekend all bets are off!

Pete Collin