long cast equipment for beach?

Old August 8th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Vittorix

Tron wrote:

You need to take into consideration the kind of weights you will be
casting ..and also things like braided line which has a very tiny
diameter vs. a higher test rating

usually braided is avoided for long casting, with the two violent
kind of cast named off-the-ground and pendulum, it's usual to create
mess in the line, so often you break the line during the cast. no
big deal (if is not the cast of your life that's why caster
change often the main line.
but if you use the braided instead and you mess the line in a violent
cast, you can easily break the rings of the road.

You are correct However there are a couple things a person can
do to cast longer distances with braid and avoid problems.. one is
simply making sure the line is wound uniformly on the spool.. a
little care and constant tension when loading will achieve this
another is to wet the spool (line) before casting which also helps..
I use a braided line of approx 35lb strength, but with a diameter of
10 lb line.. and can cast a hundred yards or so with no problem.

sure, you can use braided for going 100yards, in Italy many people use
big reels like Daiwa Emblem 10000 and thin lines (braided or nylon) and
telescopic rods, for weights not over 3oz, but if you really want to
bring your baits farther, you need to change many things

Have gone further but I don't like too much line out there..its like
remote control fishing..one benefit of braid is that with virtually
no stretch hook setting is almost the same at a hundred yards as at
ten yards.. if slack is kept to a minimum..the hook set is full power
and almost instantaneous.. you lose a lot of force due to stretch in
the line with mono over long distances..

surely it's true, but with nylon you can use its elasticity to win the
fish, depends on the fish you catch, the elasticity could be useful

--
ciao
Vittorix

Old August 8th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Tron

Vittorix wrote:

Tron wrote:

[...]

I have to agree with you there..the only drawback I have had with braid
is it forces you to me much more careful playing the fish when in very
close.. especially under the rod tip..
--
Power to the Penguin !
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:55 AM
noname

thanks again guys.
very informative once again !

stef.

"Vittorix" wrote in message
noname wrote:

is there a reason the size of the line doesn't make referene to its
pound test capability. I mean you only talked about it " size" and
not mensionning it's strenght, and I also read this some other places.
In my mind, the smaller the line be , the longer it will cast, but I
suspect I'm wrong thinking like that....
what do you tink? why the size and not the force of the line?

In Italy (and I think also in other parts) we use to identify a line
from the diameter, not from the strength (that however is alway
specified in the roll).
And you thought exactly: the diameter of the line is determinat for a
long cast: more the line is big, less the cast is long (if there could
be two equal casts).
in casting tournaments they use to fix the minimum parameters for the
lines in relationship with the weight you cast, and they check it with a
micrometer.
it's also a question of safety. with the diameter fixed, you can decide
which brand and type of line you want. casters usually use smooth and
normal strenght main line (replacing it often) and high-strength shock
leaders.
there is also a question of proportion to respect, neither Danny
Moesckoeps can cast a 6 pound weight to 300 yard distance if he has a
10lb main line and a 30lb shock leader (the stress of the line is
enormous and will broke for sure).

--
ciao
Vittorix

Old August 10th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Cliff

"Vittorix" wrote in :

noname wrote:
Hi
what I'm looking for is the perfect ( yet cheap) equipment to cast as
far out as possible off a beach . is a spining better that a
casting? what about the lenght of the rod? should I get a medium/
heavy? I'm thinking of gettig a 10' rod , with a spining reel and
some spiderwire braided line 30#. what do you think.
I don't have much experience in that kind of fishing.

best results on the sea for long casting also used in critical
conditions (high waves) are obtained with 2 pieces 12/13feet very
strong long casting rods like these (for example, you can find this
kind of rods in brands like Daiwa, Century, Penn, ) that require
special techniques of casting (ground, pendulum) and are used with
0.35mm diameter line and a 0.70/0.80mm shock leader (both nylon) with
4/6oz lead weights and are usually used with casting reels like Daiwa
7ht or Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6500 C3.

can you believe a weight of 5 or 6oz sent to 300yards distance?!

13' rod with a third of a pound of weight. Starting to sound like a
mini trebuchet.

--
Fishing with Cliff
The New Fishing Show in Town

Our Yahoo group can be found here!

Old August 11th, 2005, 02:56 AM
Vittorix

Cliff wrote:

can you believe a weight of 5 or 6oz sent to 300yards distance?!

13' rod with a third of a pound of weight. Starting to sound like a
mini trebuchet.

sounds weird, but it's amazing, and is the consuetude in surf casting

--
ciao
Vittorix