Big Problem

Old February 29th, 2004, 03:17 AM
Illinois Fisherman

Default Big Problem

Went out today to wet a line. First time in over a year that I tried Mono on
any of my reels. I have been using Braid for the past two years My Calcutta
thought it was spring, and promptly built a birdsnest on every third cast
with 12lb line. "Oh no!!" I said. I can't cast mono worth a darn anymore.
Looks like braid and I have a permanent relationship from now on. Goodbye
mono. Hello braided line and fluorocarbon leaders.

Trust me, I tried and tried to get that mono to perform properly for three
hours to no avail. Now I can get the foolish thought of using mono for top
waters and cranks out of my head. I guess I will have to use a fiberglass
rod to handle those tasks from now on. Been looking at the St. Croix Glass
Pro any thoughts? Anyone use one of these light weight wonders of modern
science.

Old February 29th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Eric Ryder

"Illinois Fisherman" wrote in message
[...]

Was this fresh line?

Old February 29th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Illinois Fisherman

"Eric Ryder" wrote in message

[...]

Why yes. It made a pass at me!!!!

Old February 29th, 2004, 05:50 AM
J Buck

Was this fresh line?

Why yes. It made a pass at me!!!!

LoL Funniest line on rofb in weeks!

"Only an extraordinary person would purposely risk being outsmarted by a
creature often less than twelve inches long, over and over again."

Old March 1st, 2004, 04:08 AM

Not bad rods, a little fast IMO. The Lamiglas S Glass rods like the SPC 704
or 705 are a better choice, again IMO as they are as light, progressive and
handy as they get. A custom rod on a S-Glass Seeker BS 706 is really special
but just try to find one. Can think of one, maybe two places.
Just tried a Forecast SP 843 blank that I think is going to make a good
crankbait rod for about $ 40 bucks in parts.
Old March 1st, 2004, 01:58 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

[...]

They're a fine blank. I've built several crankbait rods with the St. Croix
glass blank and the people that are using them think the rods are great.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old March 1st, 2004, 03:53 PM
KurtB

IL Fish,

Where did you go? The weekend was fantastic weather, and I see that
the ice is off of the Fox everywhere I looked. Unfortunately, I was
not able to get out (too many things still on the "honey do" list).

Did you catch anything (other than birdnests)?

This weekend they are saying possible snow...looks like I may have to
wait another couple of weeks before trying out the new gear.

Kurt

Old March 1st, 2004, 10:10 PM
Illinois Fisherman

Thanks Steve.

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

Old March 1st, 2004, 10:24 PM
Illinois Fisherman

I went up by the McHenry dam. Actually a few hundred yards south of the dam
still in the State Park. I actually was not trying to catch anything. I got
a couple of Calcutta's and a new Falcon Low Rider rod that I wanted to check
out to see how well they matched up. I was also checking my suspending
minnow baits to see if they really suspended or if they slowly sank. Water
temp was 34 degrees. Out of about 22 Smithwick Rogues and Rapala Husky Jerk
lures I found only 5 that did not sink at that temperature.

I think the ice is gone off the river for this season. I'll be out on the
weekends in my area on foot till the ramps open again. We should try to hook
up and go fishing sometime.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:26 PM
KurtB

That would be a good time. I have never fished the McHenry dam,
though have heard many good things. Just 2 years ago I really got
back into fishing. I had fished a lot as a kid, but then work,
school, and wife got in the way. 2 years ago, I stopped by the "Tuna
Kahuna" kids fishing derby with my son (South Elgin Dam) to see how a
couple of neighbors were doing (my son was 4 at the time, and that
place was way to packed for him to try to fish). My son saw how much
fun everybody was having, and back into the sport I went. I do need
to get out for the same reasons you did, not necessarily to catch
fish, but to see how well the equipment works (got 2 new Curado's and
a few rods over the winter). The first "modern" bait caster I have
thrown in 20 years...this should be interesting...

Is it easier to pick birdsnests out of mono or superlines?!?!?!? :-)

Kurt

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 22:24:42 GMT, "Illinois Fisherman"
wrote:

I went up by the McHenry dam. Actually a few hundred yards south of the dam
still in the State Park. I actually was not trying to catch anything. I got
a couple of Calcutta's and a new Falcon Low Rider rod that I wanted to check
out to see how well they matched up. I was also checking my suspending
minnow baits to see if they really suspended or if they slowly sank. Water
temp was 34 degrees. Out of about 22 Smithwick Rogues and Rapala Husky Jerk
lures I found only 5 that did not sink at that temperature.

I think the ice is gone off the river for this season. I'll be out on the
weekends in my area on foot till the ramps open again. We should try to hook
up and go fishing sometime.

.. .