Spinning Reels With A Trigger ?

Old August 31st, 2012, 05:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob[_4_]

Default Spinning Reels With A Trigger ?

Hi,

I have had a Shimano Stradic spinning reel for many and many a year.
Like it a lot. Smooth, and has been trouble free.
But, am always on the lookout for something "better."

I saw some posts about the Shimano ones with the trigger.
So, when I was in a sporting goods store I tried to look at them and
find out about them, as I have never used one.

Unfortunately, they are all in a plastic, sealed, wrap, so no luck in
playing with one.

Let me ask, please:

Do you folks like them better than the conventional, non-trigger type ?
Why ? Pros and Cons ?
How popular are they; are they taking over from the conventional design
now ?

When you press on the trigger getting ready for a cast, does that also
open the Bail ?

Do you release the trigger at the final stage of the cast, similar to
what one would do with, e.g., the Zebco closed face "button" reels ?

Does the trigger have any function when you are ready to retrieve ?
e.g. does turning the handle close the Bail like in a conventional
spinning reel ?

And, when casting, do you (still) use your index finger to hold the line
against the rod prior to the release ?

- does the finger press the line against the rod, OR, with the
trigger design, is the line is supposed to be held against the trigger
itself prior to releasing it ?

Any thoughts on how these work would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
geoff

On mine the "trigger" just opens the bail, everything else is done just like
a non-trigger reel. Once you're used to it it's a nice feature.

Old August 31st, 2012, 09:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty[_2_]

"Bob" wrote in message

Do you folks like them better than the conventional, non-trigger type ?
Why ? Pros and Cons ?
How popular are they; are they taking over from the conventional design
now ?

On the contrary, they have lost popularity and there are many fewer models
available now than there were some years back. Many guys complained that
there was too much play; they wanted continuous anti-reverse. I never bought
into this because as long as your hand was on the handle, that play wouldn't
occur.

There's no reason that a trigger reel can't serve one well, it's just that
they are disappearing.

Old September 3rd, 2012, 05:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
[email protected]

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 12:50:40 -0400, Bob wrote:

[...]

Prolly would not replace the feel of your finger.

Dan
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_6_]

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

I liked the Quantum Snapshot reels for a long time. Cheap and they worked
good. The little ceramic line holding pin made for a nice crisp release as
well. When I started fishing more often and more serious I found they
didn't hold up quite as well as some of the more expensive reels. Not a bad
deal for the price, but...