Planning NC trip for the family....

Old September 9th, 2004, 03:13 AM
CardinalAngler

Default Planning NC trip for the family....

I'd like to coordinate a trip for myself and my GF (northeast GA), my sister
and her fiancee (Charlotte, NC) and my folks (MI) to do a little fishing in
western NC next spring. I've got some time to pull this together, but I'd
like to pick a place to stay, first, so we can make a reservation in time
for them to block off a week on their schedules. We've done things like
this before, and have done pretty well in a cabin or condo where we can cook
the odd meal and ensure that coffee is available pre-dawn. It'd be a plus
if we could bring a dog or two, as well. We're not all anglers, so I'm
leaning toward something not too far from Asheville, where my sister will be
getting married next year. Does anyone in the group have a recommendation
for such a place?

Once that's settled, I can start the fun stuff. I have the Jacobs Blue Ridge
book, but haven't used it as much as his Georgia book. I send a fair amount
of time face down in the Little T drainage between Clayton and Franklin, but
I've not fished past there in a while. If I pass a quiz on, say, the
75-post NC fishing thread from 2003* and York Larese's stats from his
all-ACC years**, may I ask for some additional help in narrowing down our
fishing options? :-) I'll need to find at least one place open enough that
the novice casters among us won't spend the entire day tied up in the
hemlocks...

Thanks.

* Me: Duncan, 33, male, have nymphed- mosty big pteronarcys in MT, no
bifocals, never been to Boone or Linville.

** 59-61

Old September 9th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Ken Fortenberry

http://www.hiddencreekcabins.com/index.html

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old September 9th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Guyz-N-Flyz

"CardinalAngler" wrote in message
I'd like to coordinate a trip for myself and my GF (northeast GA), my sister
and her fiancee (Charlotte, NC) and my folks (MI) to do a little fishing in
western NC next spring. I've got some time to pull this together, but I'd
like to pick a place to stay, first, so we can make a reservation in time
for them to block off a week on their schedules. We've done things like
this before, and have done pretty well in a cabin or condo where we can cook
the odd meal and ensure that coffee is available pre-dawn. It'd be a plus
if we could bring a dog or two, as well. We're not all anglers, so I'm
leaning toward something not too far from Asheville, where my sister will be
getting married next year. Does anyone in the group have a recommendation
for such a place?

http://www.optimisticrv.com/

Optimistic is located about between Boone and Asheville--45 min. drive to Boone, hour
and thirty to Asheville and about thirty minutes up hwy 181 to Linville. Greg
Laffoon, the proprietor of Optimistic is as gracious a host as one could hope to meet.

Not sure if he has enough accomodations to suit your needs, but if the location is
right, you might want to give him a call.

Tell'em Opie sent ya. And if ya decide on Optimistic, I'd be more than happy to put
ya on some really nice waters.

Mark

Old September 9th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Jeff Miller

how far from asheville? any preferred areas? there are lots of little
towns and fishing opportunities "not too far from asheville". for
orientation and to get better input, you probably need to decide the
general area you'd like to visit and how far from asheville you want to
be. bryson city, small town, is in the smokies, about an hour west.
morganton, about an hour to the east of asheville is in the foothills at
the base of the blue ridge, bigger town, but easy access point to
several good streams up the mountain. boone, about 2 hours northeast of
asheville - a bustling small university town. brevard-highlands-cashiers
area, an hour or so, southwest of asheville.

my preference, and hence my recommendation, is west of asheville and
around bryson city/nantahala/robbinsville. lots of fishing, and the
delayed harvest stretch of the nantahala offers easy access, fairly easy
casting, and the opportunity for a beginner to catch some fish. i've
spent most of my time in the streams in the blue ridge between boone and
morganton, and those in the smokies/snowbird area around bryson city and
robbinsville. when you've narrowed your choice of location, i think
you'll receive a more focused response. feel free to send me an e-mail
for stream information. here are some links to look at...

http://www.grahamchamber.com/
http://www.greatsmokies.com/
http://blueridgeskyline.com/
http://www.vrbo.com/12306
http://www.smokymountainnews.com/

jeff

Old September 10th, 2004, 02:10 AM
Bob Patton

"CardinalAngler" wrote in message
//snip//

Here's a recommendation for the Bryson City area - you can be in Asheville
in an hour or so, and there's good access to Deep Creek, Nantahala River,
and even streams inside the GSMNP if you want a bit more of a challenge.
Bob

Old September 13th, 2004, 06:16 AM
ChrisGW

CardinalAngler wrote:

[...]

Maggie Valley is a nice place to stay. Close to Ashville and close to some good
fishing.