What Temperature?

Old September 15th, 2006, 05:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
taylor_j25

Default What Temperature?

What water temperatures trigger bass to start the feed for the spawn
and winter?

Old September 15th, 2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Chris Rennert

(This is definitely regional and species dependent, but here is a
umbrella statement)Starting around 50 degrees you will probably see the
most significant jump in activity, migrations can start in the Mid-40's,
but I really start catching them when the water is about 50 degrees.
There are exceptions to the rule, especially if you have a really warm
day, it warms up the back bays, but they might not hit that "magic"
number, but the fish will be feeding actively.
As for Winter, (I'm guessing you are referring fall into winter??) I
seem to stop catching them on my home lake when water hits 43
degrees(Smallmouth). Why so specific??? I have no idea. I caught them
really good in some areas for almost a whole week with the water between
45-47 degrees, but once that water hit 43 and lower , I was still
marking the fish, but I couldn't catch them to save my life, and that
was using float n fly and live bait. I dropped all the way down to a
1/80 ounce hair jig and 2lb fluorocarbon, same configuration I was
catching them on days earlier.

Chris

Old September 15th, 2006, 09:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
taylor_j25

I think the temperature is a little warmer where i'm from, not even
sure it gets down to 50 degrees in winter.

Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
lab~rat >:-)

On 15 Sep 2006 13:06:53 -0700, "taylor_j25"
puked:

I think the temperature is a little warmer where i'm from, not even
sure it gets down to 50 degrees in winter.

I've read 60, go figure.
--
lab~rat :-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

Old September 27th, 2006, 12:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
lab~rat >:-)

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 07:50:46 -0500, Chris Rennert
puked:

What have you read about 60??? I'm not sure what that is in reference to?

That 60 degrees triggers spawning response to start. I've also read
that temperature and reactions from fish is more relative than
absolute, so there may not be an actual temperature that causes the
actions, but a relative *change* in temperature.

Make sense?

Old September 27th, 2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Chris Rennert

Ah, yeah, I thought you were referring to the temp the fish start to
become active during the spring. By 60 degrees you have probably missed
the most "Intense" spring bite by about 10 degrees (relative to area of
course). From what I understand, and please someone correct me if I am
totally off base, but in regions where the water may never drop below 60
degrees spawning is based more on the length of daylight (and moon
phase) as opposed to just a certain water temp.

Chris

Old September 28th, 2006, 04:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Dwayne E. Cooper

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:45:27 -0500, Chris Rennert
wrote:

From what I understand, and please someone correct me if I am
totally off base, but in regions where the water may never drop below 60
degrees spawning is based more on the length of daylight (and moon
phase) as opposed to just a certain water temp.

IMO, its a combination of factors and its hard to just pinpoint one or
two bc different things come into play. Here's 5 that I've seen come
into play and I could probably think or a couple mo

1. Length of daylight - I've just seen too many times when it just
seemed that the bass just couldn't wait any longer...even though the
water temperature seemed way too cold for a spawn (mid 50's).

2. Water temperature - When I was younger, I always thought
temperature was the biggest factor...but over the years..I don't know.
It just seems like one factor in the whole equation. During the
springtime, I usually look for shallower protected areas (small coves
or flats in coves) that warm up faster (often on the northwest side).
I'm really looking hard for areas that are receiving more sunlight and
is evidenced by more greenery. (for example, I'll often go into a
cove and look for the small areas on banks thats vegetation or trees
is more into bloom or greener.)

3. Moon phase - That extra amount of light that you get from a full
moon (or within a few days close to a full moon) "often" makes the
difference as to when fish move up to spawn. However, I've seen some
places where the spawn fell right on the new moon too. Thats probably
bc the body of water already had the right combination of daylight and
water temperature beforehand.

4. Water temperature variations - severe cold fronts often forces bass
to back away if the water temperature gets below the low 60s. 59
degrees in this situation is a killer and I'm often begging for the
water temp to get back to 64-65.

5. Water level variations - this is one factor that you don't hear too
much about. But over the years, it's been obvious to me that bass
will back away from shallower water when the water is pulled heavily
from a body of water. (especially Corps lakes). Thats the time when
you see bass doing weird things like spawning on stumps or in very
deep water...although I also think their is a major spawn loss during
these times too. (ie. Bass pull back and may not have enough eggs for
a 2nd attempt or eggs get too old)

Water clarity and whether it is a river/lake seem to come into play
too...

--
Dwayne E. Cooper, Atty at Law
Indianapolis, IN