For the PETA folks

Old December 4th, 2006, 05:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
rb608

Default For the PETA folks

"Doug" wrote in message news
Now this is a fact though, that vegetarians are actually 57% less likely
to die from heart disease, or any other coronary infarction, and are far
healthier then their meat eater counterparts.
I actually know a couple vegetarians, and I will say, they are the picture
of health.

I'd be cautious about attributing the statistical health benefits you cite
as having a direct cause-and-effect relationship with vegetarian diet,
though in the time I was a veggie, my health never suffered. With the
exception of breakfast sausage, I rarely craved meat at all.

Joe F.

Old December 4th, 2006, 05:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Doug

I probably should reiterate:

a.. One study found vegetarians to suffer significantly lower mortality from
heart disease than health conscious non-vegetarians. Mortality from
ischaemic heart disease was 57% lower in vegetarians than the general
population, and 18% lower than in non-vegetarians following a healthy
lifestyle. Deaths due to cerebrovascular disease was 43% lower in the
vegetarians compared with the general population.

Credits to:
Key, T J et al. (1998) Mortality in vegetarians and non-vegetarians: a
collaborative analysis of 8,300 deaths among 76,000 men and women in five
prospective studies. Public Health Nutrition.

This is actually going into more depth than I had planned to go into this,
but the more I read, the more interesting it is becoming. I seriously doubt
I would become veggie, but as another poster suggested, maybe restrict to
only lean meat that I killed myself, with no drugs and steroids and the
such.

I'm getting ready to hit the big "Four O", and these are things I should
probably be more concerned with I suppose.

Pretty interesting stuff none the less though.....

Doug

Old December 4th, 2006, 12:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
rb608

"Doug" wrote in message
I probably should reiterate:

a.. One study found vegetarians to suffer significantly lower mortality
from heart disease than health conscious non-vegetarians. Mortality from
ischaemic heart disease was 57% lower in vegetarians than the general
population, and 18% lower than in non-vegetarians following a healthy
lifestyle. Deaths due to cerebrovascular disease was 43% lower in the
vegetarians compared with the general population.

I didn't mean to question the numbers, I was only wondering if those studies
attributed the differences entirely to diet. For example, in my experience,
most vegetarians I've known were younger, and had more active lifestyles.
To attribute their better heatlh to their diet would be overlooking two more
sigificant factors.

Joe F.

Old December 4th, 2006, 02:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Doug" wrote in message SNIP

Now this is a fact though, that vegetarians are actually 57% less likely
to die from heart disease, or any other coronary infarction, and are far
healthier then their meat eater counterparts.
I actually know a couple vegetarians, and I will say, they are the picture
of health.

***That's true, but can you explain the Inuits or Eskimos, they had
virtually no vegetable fiber in their diet, yet didn't know heart disease at
all until fairly recently. Inuits are the picture of health, living in a
rugged land that doesn't make allowances for the weak and sick.

On a personal note, I know you don't know me, or hell, might not remember
me as far as that goes, but....
Along the same lines, I know you were having some difficulty in the recent
past, thru the groups here, and hope you have things worked out and your
back to fishing!

***Well, with the temps down in single digits, snow piling up in the
driveway, and the boat sitting parked, I'm not fishing, but I did manage
some deer hunting. Still having some problems, but they seem to be
lessening to a small degree.

I think the biggest factor in being healthy is good genetics and living a
life of moderation. That means getting off the couch more than once in a
while, eating a reasonable, balanced diet and paying attention to your body.
I unfortunately did some of those things, but my family has a genetic
predisposition to heart disease, I had undiagnosed sleep apnea and a fairly
stressful life. Those factors just about did me in!
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old December 4th, 2006, 03:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Rodney Long

Doug wrote:
I probably should reiterate:

a.. One study found vegetarians to suffer significantly lower mortality from
heart disease than health conscious non-vegetarians. Mortality from
ischaemic heart disease was 57% lower in vegetarians than the general
population, and 18% lower than in non-vegetarians following a healthy
lifestyle. Deaths due to cerebrovascular disease was 43% lower in the
vegetarians compared with the general population.

The real question though,, do they actually live longer ?

This has come up with lower cholesterol levels, in every "mass" study it
is true they had less heart disease, but they did not actually live
longer than those with higher levels. Just something else killed them
just as soon. There is no evidence in any study that reducing
cholesterol level, increases life span.

I eat meat three meals a day (large quantities of it), my cholesterol
level is below 100, so "just" eating meat does not increase cholesterol
levels to dangerous levels.

Another factor in the Vegetarians is if they decide to go to that extent
just for their health, the majority of them also exercise to the
exstream for their health, and they also are very careful what veggy
products they actually eat, they don't pig out on sugar, carbs, and
hydrogenated fats, something that many meat eaters do.

PETA zombies, don' eat veterinarian for their health, they eat it
because they give animals "more" rights than humans. They would rather
see a human die, than an animal

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old December 4th, 2006, 06:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
WARREN WOLK

Glad you're feeling better Steve, lord knows qwe need you in these
newsgroups & on our true friends lists!

Warren

Old December 5th, 2006, 02:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Opus

"WARREN WOLK" wrote in message
Glad you're feeling better Steve, lord knows qwe need you in these
newsgroups & on our true friends lists!

Warren

You got that right! That's why he's in my killfile.

Op

Old December 5th, 2006, 10:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
catfish2006

PETA
People Eating Tasty Animals

Old December 6th, 2006, 04:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Fred Lebow

"catfish2006" wrote in message
et...
PETA
People Eating Tasty Animals

Now I'm convinced!

I have no problems w PETA
They are an ethical group - a little hard line but their values are OK
They are certainly NOT idiots !
Others on this list may be...!

--
Fred

Old December 6th, 2006, 04:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Rodney Long

Fred Lebow wrote:
"catfish2006" wrote in message
et...
PETA
People Eating Tasty Animals

Now I'm convinced!

I have no problems w PETA
They are an ethical group

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
- a little hard line but their values are OK
HAHAHAHA
They are certainly NOT idiots !

ROTFLMAO