nc shad fishing

Old March 5th, 2007, 01:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

Default nc shad fishing

the annual shad run has started in nc... it always seems to begin in
the neuse at pitch kettle creek. it's a popular and crowded spot. 1st
photo is looking toward the back of the creek and the cypress swamps
where the shad go to spawn. 2nd photo is the mouth of pitch kettle where
it intersects the neuse river. the shad come from the ocean, through
inlets, into the pamlico sound, up the neuse, and return to their natal
spawning areas. it's a wonder. i caught one last week with a lamprey
attached to it. most were 16 inches...one was over 18. next photos show
a few we kept to deep fry. tasty.

jeff

Old March 5th, 2007, 01:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

my friend jerry and our friends, the shad.

Old March 5th, 2007, 04:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
IcUrdazedandconfused

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 07:48:21 -0500, jeff
wrote:

jeff wrote:

my friend jerry and our friends, the shad.

I'd be interested in how you prepare them. When we use them for bait,
they are *really* strong....

Old March 6th, 2007, 02:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

wrote:

jeff wrote:

my friend jerry and our friends, the shad.

I'd be interested in how you prepare them. When we use them for bait,
they are *really* strong....

stone ground yellow cornmeal (buttermilk is good), with salt and
pepper... scale the filets and gut and clean in usual manner, cut
vertical slices in each of the filets, coat with the cornmeal, then deep
fry in peanut oil at about 400 degrees until the filets float to the
top. it's a "gamey" fish, but very tasty in my opinion. white shad are
better than the hickory.

jeff
Old March 12th, 2007, 01:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

Default more shad waters and bald eagle

Old March 12th, 2007, 01:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

Default eagle's nest and eagle

one of the shad creeks i frequent has a bald eagle's nest just above my
favorite run. on saturday, i enjoyed the noise of the eagles...sounded
like a new eaglet in the nest. very distinctive sound. watched as one
flew across the creek to alight in a tree just above me. it kept its
butt end to me, took an unceremonious crap, and flew off to hunt. the
bird's white head and tail is visible in the second photo... not a great
photo, but the best my little digi could do.

Old March 12th, 2007, 01:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
daytripper

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:34:42 -0400, jeff wrote:

one of the shad creeks i frequent has a bald eagle's nest just above my
favorite run. on saturday, i enjoyed the noise of the eagles...sounded
like a new eaglet in the nest. very distinctive sound. watched as one
flew across the creek to alight in a tree just above me. it kept its
butt end to me, took an unceremonious crap, and flew off to hunt. the
bird's white head and tail is visible in the second photo... not a great
photo, but the best my little digi could do.

Still very cool.

If you can't get enough of eagles in nests, check out the real-time video of a
nesting pair (with at least one egg in the nest) at this site:

http://www.briloon.org/

Best viewed during daylight hours ;-)

cheers

/daytripper
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Cyli

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 19:55:17 -0500, daytripper
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:34:42 -0400, jeff wrote:

one of the shad creeks i frequent has a bald eagle's nest just above my
favorite run. on saturday, i enjoyed the noise of the eagles...sounded
like a new eaglet in the nest. very distinctive sound. watched as one
flew across the creek to alight in a tree just above me. it kept its
butt end to me, took an unceremonious crap, and flew off to hunt. the
bird's white head and tail is visible in the second photo... not a great
photo, but the best my little digi could do.

Still very cool.

If you can't get enough of eagles in nests, check out the real-time video of a
nesting pair (with at least one egg in the nest) at this site:

http://www.briloon.org/

Best viewed during daylight hours ;-)

Or go to http://www.friendsofblackwater.org/camhtm2.html to watch the
two chicks grow. They're cute little fluff balls now, but soon
they'll get bigger and less cute.

There's a link there to an osprey nest, too, but the ospreys aren't
back yet this year.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old March 12th, 2007, 01:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Charlie Choc

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 23:12:52 -0500, Cyli wrote:

There's a link there to an osprey nest, too, but the ospreys aren't
back yet this year.

Here's a shot of a male osprey guarding a nest in the Everglades. If you look
closely you can just see the top of the female's head in the middle of the nest.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com