TR: Green River

Old January 26th, 2011, 09:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

Default TR: Green River

I fished the Green River from Saturday to Monday of this last week. There
was a pretty good dry fly window between 11:00 and 2:00 PM. The first day we
arrived late, it was pretty cold with wind gusts to 25 mph, temp around the
mid 20's before the wild chill. We caught the tail end of the dry fly action
although with the wind gusts it was tough. I LDR'ed a couple fish before
calling it quits due to the wind and cold. We ended up enjoying a few brews
and dinner back at #4 after checking in with the Trout Creek Outfitters in
Dutch John, UT.

Day two we woke to clearing skies and no wind. Sweet! The temps reached the
upper 30's, it was very pleasant. We got on the river about 10:00 after a
great breakfast (Chicken Fried steak) at the Flaming Gorge Lodge. Started
out sub-surface getting on a couple fish and changing over to dries around
11:00 when heads started popping. Very small stuff in the #20 - #22 size
range. I tried out my new stick on magnifiers, they were a must with the fly
sizes. I ended up cutting them down a bit and plan to cut them down a bit
more, overall they did the job. I'm still considering some hateyes (sp),
however have concerns after Frank's burnt lip report...
Overall there were several fish to hand in the 13 - 17 inch range. The
browns are very dark, more so than I have ever seen in my fishing travels.

Day three was almost an exact repeat of day two. We had similar temps,
however a bit more overcast sky, which seemed to lend itself to the dry fly
action. It was a bit better and lasted longer. The wind came up late and all
but squashed the action.

I enjoy the Green River, as I have mentioned before it's like an aquarium
with many browns and rainbow handing in the shallows along the shore.

Overall it was a great trip, a nice escape from cabin fever and reality.

Next trip will be on the Bitterroot around the end of march, I'm sure cabin
fever will have a hold once again.

JT

Old January 26th, 2011, 09:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:36:20 -0800, "JT"
wrote:

[...]

Real nice TR thanks
I definitely have the Cabin Fever Blues and it's getting worse.
Did you drive? or did you fly into SLC and then drive?
and, if so,
how long did it take?

Gracias otra vez

Fred

Old January 26th, 2011, 10:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Jan 26, 12:36*pm, "JT" wrote:
[...]

Good going JT. What was the river running (CFS?)
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

On 1/26/11 2:36 PM, JT wrote:

I fished the Green River from Saturday to Monday of this last week.
snip
Overall it was a great trip, a nice escape from cabin fever and reality.

Thanks for the TR, it too was great and a nice little escape
from the reality of cabin fever.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old January 26th, 2011, 10:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Jan 26, 12:36*pm, "JT" wrote:
[...]

Thanks, sounds like a good trip
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

wrote:

[...]

Thanks,

I flew to SL and we drove to Dutch John.
It's a 3.5 to 4 hour drive depending on weather.
Neat place, but not something I would recommend during the summer months,
it's a complete zoo!

JT
-On a side note, something that strikes me as crazy are the number of police
officers around the Flaming Gorge Dam. We didn't see more than 4 people on
the river at any given time and one day I'm pretty sure we had the river to
ourselves from the Dam to the Little Hole take out. There were no less than
3 police vehicles around the dam at all times. I would imagine it's for
security purposes, there was always at least two police rigs at the dam and
one or two more near by. Talk about one boring job.

Old January 26th, 2011, 11:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"DaveS" wrote in message
On Jan 26, 12:36 pm, "JT" wrote:
[...]

Dave

They had it at about 900 cfs during the day (good fishing hours). At night
they were running it up to about 1350 cfs.

JT

Old March 21st, 2011, 07:15 PM
karltonjolly karltonjolly is offline
Junior Member

I caught the Green River from Saturday to Monday this last week. There is a good window to dry drainage from 11:00 to 2:00 pm. The first day we arrived late, it is quite cold, wind 25 miles per hour and temperatures of about 20 wild before the mid-chill. We caught a tail wind gust of dry fly action although it is difficult.