Sometimes Its the Fish You Don't Catch

Old March 15th, 2011, 09:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_5_]

Default Sometimes Its the Fish You Don't Catch

Sometimes its the fish you don't catch that are the most memorable.
Sunday afternoon I took Mike Hellum out on one of my favorite
backwaters. The bite was not on fire, but we both caught fish. In one
little pocket early I played with my little crappie twisters catching
small bass, when I saw a huge carp swimming towards the boat. I pitched
the 8 pound test drop shot rig in front of it and said out loud
laughing, "I wonder if I can get that carp to bite." It ate it. No
kidding. Looked to be about a 15-20 pound carp and it slurped down one
of my little crappie grubs like candy. It was fun for only a few minutes
though. I tried to hold it from going in the brush and it turned. Not
towards the boat, but it kept out of the brush. Like an idiot that made
me think I could hold that fish. LOL. Not a chance. I played with it for
another half minute and then it kicked its tail once hard and the line
parted like tissue paper.

A little later I flipped one decent bass, but I was really just enjoying
being out.

We hit another area, and started getting bit. Mike got half a dozen
bites atleast and stuck 3-4 keepers while I played with the bluegill and
readears in one largish bay.

I did stick a nice ½ - ¾ pound redear that came home for dinner. I
rarely ever bring home any fish, but this one begged for it.

As the shadows slowly ate up the last of the sunlight on the water I
started throwing a popper while Mike continued to get bites on a senko.
I got two solid bites on the popper. Both fairly explosive on bare do
nothing banks. One I got to play for a little bit before he jumped and
blew out my bait. The other came off pretty quick. Both hooked up for a
little bit. It was really nice to finally have a couple fish commit to a
topwater bite. Its not "on", but its not far off.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Tournament Director
www.YumaProAm.com