Baud Rate

Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:27 AM
Steve & Chris Clark

Default Baud Rate

I can change my baud rate from between 1200 baud and 115200 baud on NMEA
data, what or why would different settings be chosen over another setting?
My default baud is 9600. I do not have a DGPS receiver installed (yet) on
the GPS unit. Is this a worth while option? I do have a "pinning" setting
on the GPS, is there a Baud setting that best compliments "pinning"?
--
Stony N44 33.240 W78 06.771

---

Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:07 AM
Bob Rickard

Huh? What? Who? Now I'm really getting a headache! I gonna get me some
worms, a cane pole, and then I'm outta here. Anybody want some bluegill?
--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:28 AM
Steve & Chris Clark

LOL Bob! What I would like to do is some detailed hydrographic mapping of
areas on the lake with the split screen, fishfinder and the GPS but I don't
want to be doing it at twenty miles per hour. Speed might be good for a
heading but soundings will be a bugger as some of the shoal and humps are
wild. Some go from forty ft.depth right up to four ft.depths in less than
a hundred ft. horizontally.
--
Stony

Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:44 AM
Calif Bill

Internally BAUD rate does not matter. Only if hooking up other devices eg.
Laptop, VHF radio, etc. does the BAUD rate matter,

Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:25 AM
Steve & Chris Clark

Thanks CB, I would like to use the lap top, could you recommend a setting?
The higher the better or would that slow down the lap top?(too much data?)
The lower number communicates faster to the lap top? (enough data?)
It has two MMC cards that you can record moving data on, do you know, would
they benefit from using a certain baud rate?
--
Stony

ink.net...

Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:11 PM
Illinois Fisherman

Baud rate indicates the speed at which the data is transmitted between two
serial devices. Try the fastest first. If you get data loss or dropout at
the highest speed drop the baud rate down until you get solid data transfer
between the two units. If there is an auto setting use that. Then both units
will negotiate a reliable setting each time the unit is turned on.

Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:57 PM
Jeff Durham

If you are hooking this up to a computer, I would recommend 115200 for the
fastest possible speed. Serial ports on computers for a long time have
supported these high bit rates without problems. Take for instance a 56K
modem. Even though the throughput is only 56,000, you would still setup the
connection between the computer and modem as 115200. The reason is that the
modem could compress data so you need to let it empty and fill its buffers
quicker than 56K.

Jeff

Old June 25th, 2004, 04:07 AM
Steve & Chris Clark

Thanks much guys. I have a 16MB internal card to record data. A card
reading port that connects to a USB port on the lap top.
I get it, the more baud rate the more detail you gather, kind of like the
three settings on the VCR, the 2 HR setting gives a better picture while
using more tape and inversely the same amount of tape can be used to record
6 HRs with the picture quality being sacrificed due to the less amount of
data being recorded at the slower "baud" rate if you will.
--
Stony

Old June 28th, 2004, 02:58 AM
Calif Bill

Nope. Higher BAUD rate is just putting a bigger hose on the tank to empty
it. Same data, just dumped faster.
Bill

news