day 2

Old April 21st, 2009, 04:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default day 2

Sunday - April 19, 2009 - Day 109

Cloudy day with storms predicted but calm at 7:00 blast off. Both my
clubs fishing concurrent tournaments today - second day of one, only
day of the other.

I ran down to where I started yesterday - all seven holes open.
Stopped on the main point I like and shad dimpling all over it. Second
cast with a Yozuri Shallow Vibe got a hit and the fish came near the
top - looked like a solid 3 pound fish. Then it started bulldogging -
hoped it was a spot but figured it was a hybrid. It was. Invited him
home to join some onions and bacon for dinner.

The shad looked like they were thinking about spawning but didn’t seen
any on the bank. Started throwing a popper and got a hit, 13 inch
spot, one that counted in the boat at 7:20. Glad to see it after
yesterday.

I kept thinking about the shad spawn and some riprap that is usually
good. Ran up to it and they were there, with fish on them. As I came
to the end of the riprap met the guy in first from yesterday. He
turned and so did it. I managed to get one 13 inch spot on the Yozuri
but just could not get them to hit. Very frustrating.

Got two short spots on the popper - maybe most of the fish were
little. Worked along a rocky bank to another short section of riprap
and the shad were there, too. Got two more short spots. At the end
turned and worked back, and got a quick hit - landed a little fatter
spot about 14 inches long. Then another one about the same size hit.
Four in the boat at 8:20 - big change from yesterday. Then had that
bad thought again - fishing till 3 so should get a limit.

For the next three hours I tried a bunch of stuff but no hits, not
even little ones. Sprinkled rain, put on my rain suit but did not get
bad.

At 11:30 ran back to where I started. Worked both points but no hits.
Decided to work blowdowns trying for a good fish. Wind was bad by now
and there were very few boats so I would not be fishing used water.

Second blowdown I hit I got a good thump on the Senko and landed a 3
pound largemouth. Got my limit before noon.

Next tree produced a nice spot that culled one of the smaller spots.
A few trees later another spot that culled. Worked every tree I could
see but no more hits.

Ran across to where I got one yesterday but nothing there today but a
short spot. Fished blowdowns until quitting time but no more hits.

At weigh-in my five weighed 7.91. Guy with 11 pounds yesterday had one
little spot. I jumped ahead of him, won with 16.40. One other guy got
ahead of him, too. Second was 13.61. His 12.97 was good for third and
his 4 pounder held on for big fish. Fourth was 11.09. There were 3
limits today.

In the other club I was fourth. First was five at 12.17 - he had 13
pounds yesterday in the other club - all his fish hit spinnerbaits.
Second place had only 3 bass but one was 5.25 an big fish, his total
was 10.52. Third was five at 8.20. There were 6 limits of the 12
fishermen in that club.

Went back to the campground, loaded the boat and headed home.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
[email protected]

Good job as always Ronnie. Congratulations!
Gary

Old April 22nd, 2009, 03:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Good win Ronnie! Congrats!