Re GRHE

Old October 17th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Salmo Bytes

Default Roadkill 101

--riverman

http://montana-riverboats.com/static...bearanoia.html

.......RE roadkill streamers: the fresher they are when you make
the fly, the better the big male browns like to byte them. Question:
if you make a wild rabbit or marmot roadkill streamer, how long must
the
hide dry before bait becomes fly?

Old October 17th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Joe Ellis

In article ,
(Salmo Bytes) wrote:

--riverman

http://montana-riverboats.com/static...bearanoia.html

......RE roadkill streamers: the fresher they are when you make
the fly, the better the big male browns like to byte them. Question:
if you make a wild rabbit or marmot roadkill streamer, how long must
the
hide dry before bait becomes fly?

Roadkill? "Big Browns"? "Bearanoia"?!?! Hmm... looks like that calls for a
20 foot 30 wt Spey rod and a double-haul-ass cast...

What's the size limit on Ursa taken on a fly?

--

Joe Ellis
Old November 9th, 2004, 02:54 PM
tony weall

take note nuke for only 30 sec roasted possumhide sure does stink

"riverman" wrote in message

"Mike Connor" wrote in message

"riverman" wrote in message
SNIP
. The feathers were all there, all
completely fine, but I had no idea how to harvest them from the rotting,

bug
infected meat. How do people do it?

--riverman

Feathers may be plucked, washed and dried, and then placed in appropriate
containers and labelled as required. Ensure there is no meat adhering to
the quills, if necessary, cut the base of the quills off. Often feathers
will be infested with feather mites, ( among other things). "nuking" ( 30
seconds, 600 watt, Microwave, and then freezing) after three days, thaw
out,
wash and allow to dry thoroughly, will get rid of such pests.

Very comprehensive, thanks Mike. What do feather mites look like, and if I
happened to have stuck a feather in my tying kit that has mites, will they
propagate onto the other stuff in there, or will they die off from lack of
a living host?

--riverman
(this may or may not be academic. I'll let you know....)