barbless fly patch ( that works :-)

Old October 14th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Larry L

Default barbless fly patch ( that works :-)

Frankly, for years I was almost glad to lose flies ...i.e. have them fall
off the drying patch on my vest. I didn't fish a whole lot, I loved to tie,
so "no biggie" if some got lost. Sometimes I just threw the used one away
when I changed flies, I wanted an excuse to tie more.

But I now fish a fairly large amount ( already have the boss' ok for
mid-May until Mid-Oct next year :-) and mainly use only a few patterns, ties
that have become routine, if not tedious, to replace.

I don't have the organizational skills ( anal attitude :-) needed to replace
used flies in their proper box, while actually fishing, and I've tried a
couple foam patches but I fish 100% barbless hooks and they don't hold them
well. I'm tired of losing perfectly good flies.

So, I'm in the market for a drying patch ( container) that works ( securely
holds flies and lets them start drying ), isn't too bulky and heavy ( my
objection to the ones I've seen ), is preferably cheap ( I fish on a tight
budget ) or even better, home made ( I love fishing with stuff I made )

Suggestions?

Old October 14th, 2004, 05:23 AM
bugcaster

Larry L wrote:

So, I'm in the market for a drying patch ( container) that works ( securely
holds flies and lets them start drying ), isn't too bulky and heavy ( my
objection to the ones I've seen ), is preferably cheap ( I fish on a tight
budget ) or even better, home made ( I love fishing with stuff I made )

Suggestions?

I have a "Bristle-Tack FLY PATCH", and it works fairly well and does
not wear out. You can see it at
http://www.thebookmailer.com/Gear/Fl...ristleTac.html

Old October 14th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Big Dale

Larry wrote:snipSo, I'm in the market for a drying patch ( container) that
works ( securely
holds flies and lets them start drying ), isn't too bulky and heavy ( my
objection to the ones I've seen ), is preferably cheap ( I fish on a tight
budget ) or even better, home made ( I love fishing with stuff I made )

I tried for years to find one that worked and finally gave up. Now I simply put
them in an old hook box till I get back to the truck and then transfer them to
an ashtray that is not used in the truck. They dry there and when I get home I
clean them up and steam them before putting floatent on them and then store
them in their proper boxes. the ones that are too mangled to save I then use to
remind me to tie more, and then retire with honors. I hope someone has a better
method.

Big Dale
Old October 14th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Mike Connor

"Larry L" wrote in message
SNIP
So, I'm in the market for a drying patch ( container) that works (

securely
holds flies and lets them start drying ), isn't too bulky and heavy ( my
objection to the ones I've seen ), is preferably cheap ( I fish on a tight
budget ) or even better, home made ( I love fishing with stuff I made )

Suggestions?

35mm plastic film can. Drill some small holes around the base and the rim.
Drill a hole in the lid, pull a cord through the hole, and knot it. You can
hang this on your vest, in a pocket etc.

The flies wont fall out, and they also dry pretty quickly.

TL
MC

Old October 14th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Jeff Taylor

35mm plastic film can. Drill some small holes around the base and the
rim.
Drill a hole in the lid, pull a cord through the hole, and knot it. You
can
hang this on your vest, in a pocket etc.

The flies wont fall out, and they also dry pretty quickly.

TL
MC

I basically do the same thing. I use a plastic container that I bought flies
in, drilled a few holes in the lid, around the base and bottom and clipped
it to my lanyard. Works well and it's free, I guess. The two dozen flies I
purchased in Blackbird's for $1.95 ea. probably covered the packaging...

HTH,
JT

Old October 14th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Larry L

Thank you Mike, duly constructed and attached to vest ... looks like it
should work as well as anything I've seen and I love the price

btw, after a full season of using rods with the grip extended back onto the
reel seat, as per one of your posts, I'm convinced that it is a great
modification I still cast poorly, but no longer draw crowds that point
and laugh as I whip the air to little result g Thanks for the idea,
it was a good one

Old October 14th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Mike Connor

"Larry L" wrote in message

Thank you Mike, duly constructed and attached to vest ... looks like it
should work as well as anything I've seen and I love the price

btw, after a full season of using rods with the grip extended back onto

the
reel seat, as per one of your posts, I'm convinced that it is a great
modification I still cast poorly, but no longer draw crowds that

point
and laugh as I whip the air to little result g Thanks for the

idea,
it was a good one

Most people who have tried such butt modifications like them a lot.

Now we just need to get Wayno fixed up! Or perhaps he can just cut the
horns off?

If you carry a second film can of crushed silica in your vest, then you can
drop the flies into this. Give them a shake, they dry immediately, and can
be immediately re-used. The silica can be "re-generated" in the oven, Ten
minutes at 100°C and it is completely dry again. It is harmless, and may
be obtained almost everywhere very cheaply, or for nothing ( Electrical
good, and drug packaging etc).

The price is about the same!

TL
MC