Red tide?

Old October 3rd, 2005, 05:46 PM
longboat

Default Red tide?

I will be vacationing in the Sarasota, FL area soon. I have read
somewhere that the extended red tide bloom in the area has killed off
all the fish. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, if there are
still a few snook swimming around, are they edible after being
subjected to red tide?

Old October 4th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Charlie Bress

Today's news on Sarasota TV said that the recent east wind has blown the red
tide offshore.
I was thinking about running down to the beach tomorrow. Haven't bothered
going for over a month.
Snook are probably scarce because a lot of the bait fish have died off.
If you are lucky enough to land a keeper you can eat it. The red tide kills
fish by attacking their gills. The flesh is not harmed by the red tide.

Good luck

Charlie

oups.com...

Old October 7th, 2005, 03:42 AM
LeRoy Williams

I fished south Sarasota Bay last week. No red tide where we fished. We
caught undersize snook and large jacks. Lots of mullet and jacks around. Did
have red tide in north Sarasota Bay so we did not fish. The Snook Research
Fishing Tournament is Oct 14 & 15. I plan to fish that. Lee

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
Today's news on Sarasota TV said that the recent east wind has blown the
red tide offshore.
I was thinking about running down to the beach tomorrow. Haven't bothered
going for over a month.
Snook are probably scarce because a lot of the bait fish have died off.
If you are lucky enough to land a keeper you can eat it. The red tide
kills fish by attacking their gills. The flesh is not harmed by the red
tide.

Good luck

Charlie

oups.com...