2nd annual UPYERS previews

Old August 24th, 2006, 07:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

Default 2nd annual UPYERS previews

A little something to whet the appetites of those planning to
attend.......and perhaps excite the curiosity of others.....

The Huron River:

http://hunts-upguide.com/skanee_big_...d_mout h.html

The menu on the left will lead to all sorts of other attractions in the U.P.

Note The reference to the mysterious "Huron Mountain Club", an organization
so exclusive that Henry Ford, at the height of his wealth and fame, had to
wait years to get in! It's still active, still owns a huge tract of land,
still highly exclusive, still very secretive, still maintains a very
effective private security force. The Salmon Trout River runs through the
property. The literature never says so explicitly, but strongly suggests
that the river itself is jealously guarded by the club.....which would seem
to put it at odds with water use laws.

The Salmon Trout also runs through the Yellow Dog plains:

http://savethewildup.org/photos/?id=33

The Yellow Dog River:

http://www.geocities.com/midwestrive...Dog-Lower.html

Perhaps not the best fishing water on what is nevertheless alleged to be a
premier stream. More he

http://www.yellowdogwatershed.org/Ri...ver_facts.html

The Peshekee:

http://images.google.com/images?q=pe...r=&sa=N&tab=wi

And, finally, a montage of fall photos including the Sturgeon, Carp, Falls,
and Ontonagon rivers, and Morgan creek:

http://www.lakesuperiorphoto.com/Upp...ll_colors.html

And we haven't so much as scratched the surface.

All those planning to attend should get a copy of DeLorme's Michigan Atlas
and Gazetteer, study the pages covering the area radiating outward from
Marquette, and google anything else that looks interesting. Anyone NOT
planning to attend should do the same.......and change his or her mind.

Wolfgang

Old August 24th, 2006, 09:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

"Wolfgang" wrote...

snip temptations of the forbidden fruit

Good gawd, I wish I could get up there this year. Hope y'all have fun. I'll
cook up some pasties in absentia.

Dan

Old August 24th, 2006, 11:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid

The Yellow Dog River:

http://www.geocities.com/midwestrive...Dog-Lower.html

Sorry, got stuck at "the brewpub in Marquette."

Frank Reid

Old August 24th, 2006, 11:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Wolfgang wrote:
A little something to whet the appetites of those planning to
attend.......and perhaps excite the curiosity of others.....

yum! yum!

jeff
Old August 25th, 2006, 12:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

Daniel-San (Rot13) wrote:
"Wolfgang" wrote...

snip temptations of the forbidden fruit

Good gawd, I wish I could get up there this year. Hope y'all have fun. I'll
cook up some pasties in absentia.

I've made pasties. It's a lot of work. I'd suggest that you come with
us, eat pasties in their natural habitat........and deal with work and
family.....in absentia.

Wolfgang

Old August 25th, 2006, 12:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

Frank Reid wrote:
The Yellow Dog River:

http://www.geocities.com/midwestrive...Dog-Lower.html

Sorry, got stuck at "the brewpub in Marquette."

As is often the case in major metropolitan areas, Marquette's
International Airport isn't exactly in Marquette. Oh, it's within
commuting distance......but, for the most part, the cricks is in the
other direction. Such is life on the frontier. Life is full of hard
decisions.

Wolfgang

Old August 25th, 2006, 12:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

"Wolfgang" wrote ...

Daniel-San (Rot13) wrote:
"Wolfgang" wrote...

snip temptations of the forbidden fruit

Good gawd, I wish I could get up there this year. Hope y'all have fun.
I'll
cook up some pasties in absentia.

I've made pasties. It's a lot of work.

Hell, half of the work is deciding howzabout to undertake the process. There
are (at last count) 6.02 x 10^23 different recipes on the web (I know, I'm
still not a chemist). Deciding which is best, or distilling the better parts
from many is an undertaking worthy of at least a few hours time. Then,
there's the whole "crust" question. Sweeter? Flakier? Bisquik (Heretic!)?
Pre-made (Apostate!)? The possibilities are almost without limit.

The actual stewing, and subsequent baking of the various ingredientia is, to
me, the easy part.

'Course, the eating is generally the *best* part.

I'd suggest that you come with
us, eat pasties in their natural habitat........and deal with work and
family.....in absentia.

The natural habitat (including the beer, the fishing/hiking, and the varied
accompanying fauna) certainly does bring out the best in _pastyus
yooperalarus_. (Especially from the little stand on the side of 41 (or 141?)
as you enter, then leave, then enter Michigan. About the best six or seven
bucks you can spend.)

Unfortunately, classes start next week, and I'm already at least 20 years
behind in my reading.

Dan
....maybe closer to 30 years behind?!?!?

Old August 25th, 2006, 01:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

Wolfgang wrote:

[snip of much to drool over]

All those planning to attend should get a copy of DeLorme's Michigan Atlas
and Gazetteer, study the pages covering the area radiating outward from
Marquette, and google anything else that looks interesting. Anyone NOT
planning to attend should do the same.......and change his or her mind.

You are an evil person. :-) I would even say "Bite me", but I
don't want to get Dave L. all worked up.

Chuck Vance (who at least has the consolation that he'll be
standing in Canada's holy waters sometime next week)
Old August 25th, 2006, 02:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message

You are an evil person. :-)

An awareness of which I have ROFF to thank for. Prior to my arrival here I
had thought that I was merely offensive, obstreperous, dull-witted,
slovenly, cowardly, short, nasty, apostate, illiterate, neurotic,
untrustworthy, demonic, pedantic, traitorous, larcenous, uxorious,
indecorous, febrile, stinky, kinky, hinky, flatulent, unpatriotic,
indecisive, pimply, piebald, mangy, leprous, scabrous, unctuous,
sanctimonious, supercilious, punctilious, bilious, phlegmatic, sanguinary,
morbid, belligerent, bellicose, bespectacled, bombastic, unreliable,
ill-kempt, ill-humored, illegitimate, narcissistic, solipsistic, rude,
crude, ornery, unfriendly, and unsavory.

Imagine my surprise!

I would even say "Bite me", but I don't want to get Dave L. all worked up.

Pity. There are several benighted Islamic nations still waiting for
democratic invasions.

Chuck Vance (who at least has the consolation that he'll be standing
in Canada's holy waters sometime next week)

I just looked at a map......Canada is right next to da Yoop, eh?

Wolfgang

Old August 25th, 2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message

You are an evil person. :-)

An awareness of which I have ROFF to thank for. Prior to my arrival here
I had thought that I was merely offensive, obstreperous, dull-witted,
slovenly, cowardly, short, nasty, apostate, illiterate, neurotic,
untrustworthy, demonic, pedantic, traitorous, larcenous, uxorious,
indecorous, febrile, stinky, kinky, hinky, flatulent, unpatriotic,
indecisive, pimply, piebald, mangy, leprous, scabrous, unctuous,
sanctimonious, supercilious, punctilious, bilious, phlegmatic, sanguinary,
morbid, belligerent, bellicose, bespectacled, bombastic, unreliable,
ill-kempt, ill-humored, illegitimate, narcissistic, solipsistic, rude,
crude, ornery, unfriendly, and unsavory.

Imagine my surprise!

After your description Wolf, everyone here in ROFF has some evil in them.
-tom